Iconic WWII Photo - Anyone know who it is?

It would be worth while to know his name,

Did he survive? How he felt then, and how he feels now?

He is another nameless face in a picture.

A boy from some small German town probably.

A believer, who probably thought that "god" was on his side.

He probably realy believed that jesus was talking to Hitler.

He probably had his rifle blessed by a priest or pastor.

He probably wrote letters home to his mother telling her all about the "sinners" he was "saving" on the holy crusade that Hitler was sending him on.

And he probably struggled to hold that belief despite the abbominations he saw all around him.

And he probably died far from home.

I asked because I've seen that picture so many times and was curious along the lines of Corvidae's post. I was prompted by going to the ASL web site and found this picture: asl_starter1.jpg

Then I image googled german soldier WW2 or some such thing and found the above picture which as I have stated I've seen many times.

I am curious as to why someone would post "Who cares." Is it because they habitually post "who cares" on threads in which they have no interest in which case I would ask why bother or is it because they were trying to expose my "true" hidden intention for asking about the identity of a german soldier? If you are interested in my true intentions see the 1st paragraph, it doesn't get deeper than that!

Originally posted by Corvidae:

It would be worth while to know his name,

Did he survive? How he felt then, and how he feels now?

He is another nameless face in a picture.

A boy from some small German town probably.

A believer, who probably thought that "god" was on his side...

You think he was a cliche from a bad WWII novel then? :D

Personally, I think the question is just as valid as asking the identity of the famous crying Frenchman in Paris, the young commissar(?) with his bandaged head and pilotka, or the Marine racing across the ground in combat crouch, rifle in hand. A friend of mine actually managed that feat. Believe the Marine's name was Don Eison or something like that.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Personally, I think the question is just as valid as asking the identity of the famous crying Frenchman in Paris, the young commissar(?) with his bandaged head and pilotka, or the Marine racing across the ground in combat crouch, rifle in hand. A friend of mine actually managed that feat. Believe the Marine's name was Don Eison or something like that.

Regards,

John Kettler

The latter - Ison - was featured in ASL Annual or The General; anyone who bought the magazine "managed the feat". ;) There was an entire article on how the photo came to be. He was still alive when the magazine came out in the late 1990s.

Originally posted by Urban Shocker:

I asked because I've seen that picture so many times and was curious along the lines of Corvidae's post. I was prompted by going to the ASL web site and found this picture: asl_starter1.jpg

Then I image googled german soldier WW2 or some such thing and found the above picture which as I have stated I've seen many times.

I am curious as to why someone would post "Who cares." Is it because they habitually post "who cares" on threads in which they have no interest in which case I would ask why bother or is it because they were trying to expose my "true" hidden intention for asking about the identity of a german soldier? If you are interested in my true intentions see the 1st paragraph, it doesn't get deeper than that!

Are ya gonna keep gibbering or are you going to take my advice? I wouldn't steer you wrong, honest. :D

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

I've tracked it down as far as the cover of Signal, October 1941..

There's a few Signal websites on the 'net, so perhaps enquiries there might get info from someone who has a copy of that edition?

A good lead. Worth noting that very likely the subject of the photo was not identified - they seemed to identify the PK photographers far more often than the subject matter! But a great start.

Interesting that Signal tilted the photo to make the subject line up with the page rather than the trees in the background.

[ December 17, 2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by JonS:

I wonder why Signal would have a photo of a couple of Germans surrendering on the cover of their Nov 41 issue?

http://www.chez.com/luftwaffe2/images/Annee%201941/Signal%2022-1941.jpg

(linking doesn't work - try cut&paste)

Foreign language edition...I wondered that too. You mean the one with the guys in the greatcoats? Abraham Lincoln, Churchill and Roosevelet were all featured on covers too - no doubt some racist expose in the lead article or somefink about how Lincoln was a Jew or something astonishingly important to the conduct of the war.