*A friendly mod reminder*

I took a peek at my T34/85-M44 mod pack at CMMODS, and after two weeks the download numbers remain pretty low. If you missed it in all the CMAK excitement of recent weeks you might want to drop by...

http://www.cmmods.com/

...and check it out under the designer name MikeyD. That was one of the armor textures crying for a total reworking. That tank's important in the final year of the war and an accurate texture makes all the difference.

Just trying to drum up a little business ;)

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

MikeyD your russian tank mods are outstanding my only regret is that colors don't match together; for exeample the latest T34-85 (44) mod has a nice dark green color which isn't the same as your lighter tone IS2s.

If he made the colours match, then how would I tell those tanks apart?? :D:D:D

Hey, MikeyD,

Any chance of making one teensy change to your Mod-packs to make them more McMMM user-friendly?

(And just more user-friendly in general).

The one thing that would make the world of difference is to put alternate bitmaps inside subdirectories with the correct BMP name instead of making the user rename the BMP file.

If you do that, McMMM recognises it and offers the user the alternatives to swap in and out hassle-free.

McMMM 'suggestion to modders' appended.

Cheers,

GaJ.

Notes to Modders

The #1 rule for McMMM has been "don't make any work for modders".

This means that you should be able to do your Mods and package them up just how you always have, and McMMM will cope.

That being said, there are a few things you can do to transform the experience for the user of your mod from "OK" to "really nice". Here they are:

</font>

• Don't put zip files inside zip files. That just makes a mess when they are unpacked.</font>
  • If you have alternatives in your mod, put each set of alternative BMPs in a separate subdirectory, and zip the whole thing up.</font>
  • Give the subdirectories nice meaningful names</font>
  • Put 'general information' files in the main directory.</font>
  • Never mess with the names of BMPs that users are intended to use/install.</font>

See #2 above: instead of giving the user 300.bmp and 300_alt.bmp, put the different versions of 300.bmp into separate subdirectories.

An ideal Mod zip file with alternatives would look like this:

GAUT_R1.ZIP contains

GAUT_R1\ directory containing

info.txt

clean.jpg

dusty.jpg

alt_insig.jpg

clean\ subdirectory containing

14940.bmp

14941.bmp

dusty\ subdirectory containing

14940.bmp

14941.bmp

14942.bmp

alternate_dusty_insig\ subdirectory containing

14941.bmp

[ December 17, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by AstroCat:

I got it and I'm using it...

Now, if I could just get Gautrek to dirty this bad boy up I'd be stoked! smile.gif

Thanks for the great work on the mod!

Jordan "AstroCat"

Ditto on that. These mods are brilliant. I've downloaded them all and have them installed on both of my machines. If someone could muddy the appearance a bit they would be "jaw dropping".

"The one thing that would make the world of difference is to put alternate bitmaps inside subdirectories with the correct BMP name"

Oh, I'm all confused about the rules now. I thought M. O'Gamer had a hard rule for the new CMMODS that folders couldn't be put into folders. That's why I broke apart my old StuG mod pack when I re-uploaded. If I diddn't append the alt. bmp numbers with "A_" "B_" I believe I'd have to upload each version as its own individual mod! ...I think.

It's definitely "no Zips in Zips", but folders in Zips are OK and in fact encouraged

for optional components.

(I guess you could check with COG, but

I clarified this point at the time that he

issued the CMMODS ruling).

GaJ.

(It makes sense really, especially from a mod-user's point of view: having BMPs with the right name ready to copy in is much lower hassle value than having to rename BMPs when you want them... the former is a select-drag operation, the latter involves typing!)

[ December 18, 2003, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]