My only change to CMBB would be..

A way to turn off the 'Eliminated' tag on dead units. I like to use the label feature, but often it's way too cluttered in the killing zone to see anything, especially when I am zoomed out.

Alternatively, is there a way to change that label? Maybe to just a capital 'E'?

• 10 months later...

It really would be nice to have some sort of 'toggle' to control some labels. The 'eliminated' label would be the first to go, but a close second for me would be the 'low ammo' label for bailed out crews. Since bailed crews are universally low on ammo the label is a bit redundent and cluttering. Whenever an AFV is knocked out there are a blizzard of mostly unhelpful labels ('Eliminated' for the AFV, 'low ammo' and the 'morale status' of the crew). Three labels for an essentially useless bailed crew unit.

To be fair though, a toggle interface could end up being just as cluttered and confusing as the present system, so it's not really a very high priority... Sounds like something that needs to be thought out for CMX2. It would be nice to be able to turn off the 'eliminated' label now though...

Originally posted by Cabron66:

Are you guys talking about labels that show up on the battlefield? Like the messages that appear showing armour penetrations and such? I've never seen this happen with infantry. Am I missing something here?

An squad that has suffered 100% casualties is marked as "eliminated." You may have detailed hit information turned on but warning labels turned off (eliminated, panic, pinned, abandoned, knocked out, shaken, low ammo).

I don't think so unless I'm not being creative enough. All the text in the game (not part of a "set" bitmap) comes from 3 particular bmps. If you change them you change all the text in the game. Since the code is not open this is probably something that will remain as is until later.

[ September 06, 2003, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Cabron66 ]

I was thinking about this one today and noticed something. These labels are the same size in all views allowed by the game. Perhaps a good option would be to scale them. In view 1 they are actually a pretty good size. In view 2, not bad at all, but in view 3 and above they become cluttering and obtrusive. In view five they are basically pointless.

Actually the same thing happened with Ghost Recon. In that case the game gave the option to have friendly soldiers walk around with blue ghostly letters floating over their heads. Only problem was that those letters remained unchanged independant of the zoom level, distance of the target, screen resolution, or background colour. Used to drive us all crazy.

Anyways, it was fixed with a patch (or rather as part of a patch). Afterwards the game scaled all on screen text depending on the aforementioned factors. Worked really well.

In this case I think it would also be a pretty good solution. Simplify the text, convert it to smaller symbols, abbreviate the labels or something similar and then scale it all to the view.

Undoubtedly the boys at Battlefront are way ahead of us on this one.