AFVs don't target guns in hunt mode?

I recently purchased CMBB and have noticed that tanks will tend to ignore guns when in hunt mode. I've noticed a couple of times they will target the gun but will keep on driving, even if the target then goes out of sight, thereby wasting their opportunity to take it out. It's not a question of spotting but of behaviour, because as I said the tanks actually started to target but then cancelled after moving out of LOS. This is different from CMBO where a tank in hunt mode will always stop to target a gun it spots, until LOS is blocked or the gun is destroyed. Has anyone else noticed this? I must ask why this change was made as I find it quite irritating. After all, most guns are a threat to any AFV, so surely if they find one in hunt mode there would be a priority to take it out. It's been suggested I should try move to contact instead, but that's not particularly satisfying as then the tank might suddenly halt upon finding some infantry. Or should I use a covered arc order instead? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Haoh

Yes, a visible sighting had been made and an ID of "gun?" had been made. The only thing I can think of is I am playing on extreme FOW so perhaps LOS was lost by the unit. But it's not like guns can move very far so it's pretty dumb of the tank to keep moving, up to that point no shots had hit anywhere near the gun. The tank did actually stop briefly, fire one shot and then kept moving, seconds later the gun was replaced by unit marker as the tank had moved out of LOS

If direct LOS is lost, usually because the crew is taking cover, the tank can't target the gun on it's own. But, on the next plot turn, you can give the tank an area fire order directly onto the gun (I usually target right in the foxhole.) This will usually knock the gun out in short order. If you have any mortars, MGs, or other tanks handy--or even some onboard guns of your own that you don't mind exposing--you can have them all area fire together on the target. Also, if you have a tank that's just out of LOS of a gun, have it area fire right next to the gun--as close as you can get.. That will often kill the gun without causing you any risk.

With fewer onboard mortars around than in CMBO, it seems that tank area fire on guns is often the most effective killer.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

If i was a tank commander, I'd hightail it pretty fast to cover if I spotted an enemy gun... If the gun has enough potency to take my armor out, then it's likely that I'll lose a shooting match.

2nd this. A tank is not the weapon of choice when it comes to taking out guns. If tanks stop to get slaughtered by guns, I'd complain.

Maybe set an infantry covered arc for the tank along with the hunt command. This *might* encourage the tank to stop when inf or guns are encountered.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Haohmaru:

Ok, thanks for the replies. In this battle I was fairly careless with my hunt orders because I am used to tanks stopping and pounding guns until they are destroyed, but with extreme FOW I guess I have to be more careful. I will use area fire more often...

That is an incorrect conclusion.

Extreme FOW compared to full fog of war only affect identification, not spotting. It doesn't make a difference for this situation, what you want is spotting, you don't care about more or less precise identification.

I'm trying to recall an old thread on this topic. I believe (I may be remembering wrong) the consensus was 'Hunt' command will cause a tank to only stop when it sees another tank, or when its got a 'solid' ID on a threatening gun. Maybe "gun?" wasn't quite solid enough? I was of the opinion that usually "gun?" was enough of an incentive for the tanker to abandon his instructions entirely! Guns are really quite hard for a buttoned tank to see sometimes, which can cause all kinds of grief.

[ October 28, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Extreme FOW affects only identification, not spotting? No, this is incorrect. With Extreme FOW not only is it harder to spot, units much more easily disappear out of LOS again. In particular, it is not infrequently the case where you will destroy a unit but not actually see the result, it will only disappear and you will only find the body/wreckage after getting very close to its location.

For the people who said they would be happy for the tank to get the hell out of there, on this occasion I had manually targetted the gun before the tank came into LOS, furthermore it was pointing 90 degrees away from the tank shooting at something else. Surely on this occasion you would be expect the tank to stop and shoot? It had a blast rating of 49 so it's a reasonably effective gun killer also.... If the gun decides to turn around and shoot back, sure, consider getting out of there, but not before then.

The manual says that it is about identification but it may be imprecise.

It's easy to test:

1)

Set up a hotseat game, have a squad walk towards a standing unit and see at what distance it is spotted.

2)

Set up one observer for one side and a bunch of guns for the other side. Open fire with the guns. See at which distance they go from sound contact to a real contact.

Do both tests in FFOW and EFOW and post results smile.gif

I'd go on the side of getting out of harms way, especially if my side armor were the target vs frontal armor. Not to mention the type of tank vs the type of anti-tank weapon. If I knew the anti-tank weapon shells were just gonna bounce offa my tank, I'd probably turn and fire for effect at that anti-tank gun. Stain their underwear so to speak! heh

Regarding the issue of whether FOW effects spotting or just identification:

As I recall there is an original game mission called "A Warm Place to Sleep" where you are advised to select "Extreme FOW" to simulate a blizzard. When I played it on that setting tanks would suddenly appear out of nowhere at extremely close range...

Therefore this would seem to indicate that spotting IS in fact affected by FOW.