The Forum's not finished until the Fat Goodale waffles his last cherry

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, it's Sunday again and I am sitting around taking the games on TV. If any of you pansies are squeamish DO NOT watch the football highlights tonight. Bronco's QB Steve Beuerlein, just got his pinky finger on his right hand dislocated or broken. Having seen that shot from at 3 different angles and more than 6 times in five minutes, trust me, you don't want to see this.

On the upside, the Vikings are up 28-10. Woot.

Evening ladies and maggots.

I return with a back the shape of a pretzel, the hands of a boulder-breaker from the Gulag, the wallet of a guy who collects cans for a living and the pride that comes with new home ownership.

Paula and I are settled into Casa Ballantyne. We have about 75 per cent of everything done -- including all the blinds :eek: -- thanks to the very generous help of both our extended families.

It has been a very long weekend to be followed by a very busy week at work. :mad: My turns may be spottier than usual but I will do my best. I still have to set up the library/office where the computer is so it will give me an excuse to be close to the TNT.

I'm off for about 30 minutes to bail more cardboard. :mad: Turns shall recommence forthwith.

Jason Ballantyne

Barrie, Ontario

(formerly of Bradford)

Axe, I didn't realize you were moving to a different town. Any particular reason? Do you still have the same job? Anyway, congratulations on your move and your new home. I hope you and Paula love the new house. One suggestion - don't hang pictures on the walls for the first couple of months. Lots of people rush right into that without having spent time in the house. Give yourself a little time, so you'll know where to hang your favorite pictures. Trust me on this, and save yourself aggravation down the road. ;):D

Dear Paula, please let Axe come out and play with the Cheery Waffle maggots. We'll send him back home after he's taken some serious beatings of his ego. :D:D

Originally posted by Dave H:

Axe, I didn't realize you were moving to a different town. Any particular reason?

Location, location, location. (And affordability)

We're a little further north but we still have the same jobs. My commute stays exactly the same distance-wise, Paula's is a little longer. She's got an interview in her field tomorrow in Barrie so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is, the further you get away from Toronto, the cheaper the housing is.

For example, in Bradford, the house we built in Barrie would have been $30,000 more. :mad: Move the same distance further south to Newmarket add another $30,000. Another 15 minutes south in Aurora? Forget it. (I think the fact our real estate lawyer lives in Aurora will tell you something about the prices there.)

The day after we signed our purchase argreement back in May, the price per lot in Barrie went up $3,000. When they finis our subdivision, the price of the next phase is going up $15,000 per lot. So, through no insight or talent of our own, we made $18,000 in equity before moving in. :eek:

Until the real estate bubble bursts. :mad:

Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Axe, I didn't realize you were moving to a different town. Any particular reason?

Location, location, location. (And affordability)

We're a little further north but we still have the same jobs. My commute stays exactly the same distance-wise, Paula's is a little longer. She's got an interview in her field tomorrow in Barrie so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is, the further you get away from Toronto, the cheaper the housing is.

For example, in Bradford, the house we built in Barrie would have been $30,000 more. :mad: Move the same distance further south to Newmarket add another $30,000. Another 15 minutes south in Aurora? Forget it. (I think the fact our real estate lawyer lives in Aurora will tell you something about the prices there.)

The day after we signed our purchase argreement back in May, the price per lot in Barrie went up $3,000. When they finis our subdivision, the price of the next phase is going up $15,000 per lot. So, through no insight or talent of our own, we made $18,000 in equity before moving in. :eek:

Until the real estate bubble bursts. :mad: </font>

I know the feeling - I shifted a few months ago 10k's up the valley so now I have a 20 minute commute instead of a 6-7 minute one - saved $90k on my mortgage, got a view and a spa pool too.

some maggots are just born lucky!! tongue.gif

Horrible Dave - much as I hate to admit it you're right - it does stink in here!! Get out!!

Good morning, fellow maggots of the Cheery Waffle! It's a gorgeous morning here, and I took the day off from work because today is my <big>birthday!!</big> When you get into your 50's, taking a day to goof off and not do anything in particular is a wonderful present to yourself. I am officially 4 (count 'em, FOUR) years shy of full retirement. I believe I'm ready for retirement to start right now. :D:D

Axe and Mike, the greatest thing about getting into areas that aren't so overpriced is that soon you gain even more equity. When we had our home appraised recently for the refinancing, we had gained $25,000 in value in one year. On top of that, we got to live in a brand new home for that year. That sure beats the stock market! :D:D

Not much going on in the PBEMs. Jim Boggs and I finished our little armor battle. Snarker and I are looking for each other in another small battle on a large map. My Matilda is so slow it may never see a German, unless Snarker finds it. Becket and I are cautiously working our way into point-blank range in Abbott's new scenario. THumpre still has some turns left in the BDLRM. When he finishes I'll post some information about it. _UXcva and I are still trying to finish Cheery Waffle 2, the scenario that refuses to end. For some reason Axe has been very slow with his turns recently. I'm sure he has some lame excuse. Maybe I should check my e-mail before I post this...Naahhh!!! :D:D

Edited to add that I had turns from THumpre, Snarker, and Axe waiting in my e-mail. <big>Doh!!</big> redface.gif

[ October 20, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Many happy returns to the brood's venerable maggot. His wit and wisdom are only surpassed by the smell of pipe smoke and wee tongue.gif

Have a good one - I wish I were only four years away from hanging up the PPK...

Axe, you maggot, the AAR is going to have to wait until next week's holiday. I've been busy saving Queen and country, plus Jak II has been providing a little welcome console-based distraction from the Eastern Front (currently I only have one game on the go with anyone who inhabits this thread - a very strange little encounter with Mike, which my men have already got a very bad feeling about).

Chin chin,

Teddy

Edited for: :mad:

[ October 20, 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Edward Windsor ]

Happy birthday, Hutch. We'll be sending Huggy Bear around with some 'friends' to help you celebrate, or is it celibate? :D

Snarksky

ps get the number candles. I used 40 regular candles for my wife's birthday and after she blew out the candles the smoke set off the alarms.

[ October 20, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Happ birthday to you,

happy birthday to you,

you look like a maggot,

and you play like one too.

So who is the oldest regular here?

And the youngest?

I'm 31 and will turn — wait for it — 32 Feb. 8.

:mad:

Come on you maggots, don't be shy. I'm 51 today and I can tell you people that life is getting to be more fun the older I get. I think all these people you've heard complaining about their aches and pains from getting old are feeling that way because they think they're supposed to. Personally, I'm still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up. I keep waiting for that magical morning when I wake up and feel like an "adult", but I suspect it's not going to happen. Guess I've passed directly from my first childhood to my second childhood. Cool, and by cool I mean <big>totally sweet!!</big> :D:D

Think about it: I get to talk directly with people from all over the world (even Canada :eek: ) on this forum and through the e-mail. This is a great time to be alive, and I think it's getting better and better. Optimist - you betcha!! :D:D

Haven't I seen some story on the internet about 55 year old hobos having their organs stolen? Now we know where to begin the search for the perpetrators. Anyone else "borrow" some 55 year old parts? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keke, I suspected you had an edge in wargaming experience. I just didn't realize how much! :D:D