DirectX9??

I'm not personally using it myself, but several other people are without problem. There's no real reason to upgrade to this right now. I'm not aware of any games that are utilizing calls that are unique to it and most drivers don't support all of its features either. There'll be no speed or feature benefit to upgrading to DirectX 9.0 right now.

I'm sure that in a few months games will be requiring you to install DX9 wether you need it or not. Anyone remember Half-life? That didn't even need DX but it still insists that you install the latest version (well latest at that time DX6?). Even my CDV version of CMBB says that I have got to have DX8 even though the graphics engine is unchanged from CMBO which was DX7? I doub't that CMBB really needs DX8.

We will all be upgrading in a month or so because our new DX8 games will insist that we install DX9, crazy?

Actually the biggest reason to probably upgrade your DirectX version is when your video drivers require it. So if you upgrade your video drivers every so often, you may come across a version that requires the latest version of DirectX. Beyond that, a number of games are usually programmed with the latest version of DirectX, so it becomes a part of the requirements (though the game may not actually use the newer calls that differentiate it from the previous version).

I actually had to upgrade to Direct X 9.0 to get the game to work. I was running Direct X 8.1 in WinXP with the latest NVIDIA drivers (41.xx) for my 4200. I kept getting a black screen at start-up, then nothing. I read the boards and heard stories about going back to earlier drivers, but I thought I would try DX 9 first. That solved whatever my problem was. Since then, perfectly stable.

the dx9 drivers will be free. i think you only have to pay for an extended SDK if you're a developer.

i've heard dx9 mainly includes support for hardware T&L. so they're worth getting for fps's at least. but the code is always being tweaked so i would always upgrade when available. also if you use nVidia kit get the detonator drivers from

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

this is my second post to this forum saying more or less the same thing today. i really need to get out more.