Why 'IS' and not 'JS'

Originally posted by Steiner14:

I'm wondering, why the tanks in CM are called IS and not JS.

If i'm infomred correctly, JS was standing for Josip Stalin.

Because it was called IS on russian, not JS.

The russian spelling of Joseph is Iosif i.e., Iosif Stalin= IS

Originally posted by OZ77:

Thanks OZ.

So Iosif means Joseph, or Josef in German -> JS in English and German or otherwise the correct russian kyrillian letters. But IS in English or German is definately wrong.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Steiner14:

I'm wondering, why the tanks in CM are called IS and not JS.

If i'm infomred correctly, JS was standing for Josip Stalin.

You're not informed correctly. </font>

Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OZ77:

Thanks OZ.

So Iosif means Joseph, or Josef in German -> JS in English and German or otherwise the correct russian kyrillian letters. But IS in English or German is definately wrong. </font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Where did you got yours? It's hilarious and true in a hyperbolic way to the character, but not what I think he would say in public.

Michael

I'm sorry but I can't say. My old sig included the link to the full article (from a satire magazin) but I deleted it when I shortened the sig to conform to the character limitation. Only later did I realize that I hadn't bookmarked the page. :(

EDIT:

just found it. (blame google)

http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2003/030603.asp ;)

[ June 08, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Lindan ]

Originally posted by Lindan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Where did you got yours? It's hilarious and true in a hyperbolic way to the character, but not what I think he would say in public.

Michael

I'm sorry but I can't say. My old sig included the link to the full article (from a satire magazin) but I deleted it when I shortened the sig to conform to the character limitation. Only later did I realize that I hadn't bookmarked the page. :(

EDIT:

just found it. (blame google)

http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2003/030603.asp ;) </font>

Originally posted by Newbtler:

MickeyD,

heh that's maybe because his real name was "Cristoforo Colombo" ? smile.gif

I think I read lots of time ago that Columbus never wrote in Italian, but he did it in Spanish and Catalan. There are some theories about his Catalan origins. He wrote once that he was from Genoa (I think he wrote it in his will), but some people think he was a Catalan who had fought against King Ferdinand family during the Catalan Civil Wars in late 15th century, so he had to conceal his true identity. What it seems clear is that he used to use lots of Catalan words in his writings.

Btw, his Catalan name was Cristofor Colom (Colom is a VERY Catalan last name) very close to the Italian one, name which I'm not sure he ever used for signing (he signed with lots of other variants including Spanish "Colón", Catalan "Colom

" and Latin "Columbus" though).

Anyway I'm writing from memory, so I could be wrong.

Edit: Here is an interesting article in English about Columbus' Catalan origins:

http://www.sola-sole.com/merril.htm

The alleged Columbus remains (they were buried in the Seville cathedral in 1898, when the Americans took Cuba, but some time ago it was found in Santo Domingo cathedral a box with some human remains and the name "Colon" on it, so now Dominicans claim they have the true remains) has been exhumed a few days ago (both the Spanish and Dominican ones) and the DNA is going to be compared with that of one of Columbu's brothers (the mithocondrial DNA should be identical).

[ June 08, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Fernando, that's a very ineresting site.

To tell you the truth, I'm not so much informed about his bio, I just refer to what they taught me in schools.

I did some small researches, and most of them say that he was born in Genova.

In the most important Italian encyclopedia circa his real place of birth, it is written:

"...The main biographical sources are from diaries, anotation autographed and some books, and most importantly from the works of Don Fernando Colombo and of B. La Casas, rich of informations, some of them though are interpolated. Documents found in the Archives of Genova and regarding even his relatives, his testament and other less known works explicitly attest the Genovese origin of the navigator..."

(then there is a collection of works on his life).

In the initial part I found that he was in Portugal and in Madera in 1476-1478, then he went in Genoa for the last time, then again he left for Lisboa (1479).

He had a strong relationship with the cosmographo (spelling? cosmograph maybe?) Toscanelli, considered by many as the real character of the voyage.

When they exhumed his remains IIRC there were some of his relatives, it would be interesting to know what they think about their descendancy.

I guess that he never wrote in Italian (or maybe Genoese dialect or even "vulgare" and language, as the official Italian language wasn't spoken in the XV and XVI centuries) since he was living in Spain and Portugal, and he hadn't a reason to do so.

The site you posted here is very interesting though...

I found some interesting sites:

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/library/blColon.htm

http://www.meriden.com/stjoseph/colombo.htm

http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/milleanni/cronologia/biografie/colombo.html

(in Italian)

http://www.ilmonferrato.info/personaggi/colombo/colombo1.htm

(Italian. This is a very interesting page, as it say that maybe he was born in Cuccaro.There is a genealogy of his family and some other interesting informations. Use babelfish to translate...)

[ June 09, 2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Newbtler ]

Fernando writes:

..." and Latin "Columbus"

That's the first I've heard of Columbus ever spelling his name 'Columbus'! Very interesting.

Now, does anyone have documentation of Stalin ever using a J instead of I while writing his first name? ;):D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

[QB]

I don't have any documentation, but it's not impossible. The early bolshevist movement was very internationalist, and the official language of the Communist Internationale was German. Of course, Marx himself wrote mostly in German. So I believe, although don't know for sure, that Stalin did understand German to some extent. In which case he could have used the German spelling while writing a letter to some silly foreigner.

I want to know the following: president Truman's middle name was "S". I don't know if his closest friends called him Harry or S, but I suppose in USA you can give your child any alphabet as a middle name. Like U. Extending from that, you could give the name W (double U). So is it possible to give the name double S, ie. SS, to your child, and if so, would he be called as Waffen-Grenadier when he visited Germany? :confused:

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Newbtler:

He had a strong relationship with the cosmographo (spelling? cosmograph maybe?) Toscanelli...

How about 'geographer'? I am not sure what use a cosmologist would be for a voyage confined to the planet.

smile.gif

Michael </font>

Oh, sorry, forgot to chime in on the original, unbelievably half-witted topic.

Well, I guess it boils down to how you represent the alphabetic characters, themselves just character representations of phonetics, given that you're talking about two very distinct, and very different 'alphabets'.

You could take the approach: Gee, his name was 'Joseph Stalin'. I know that from my history text. How come the tank named after him wasn't spelled with a 'J'?

Or you could say to yourself: Given that the Slavic language is completely different from English, and uses, in fact, a totally diferent set of characters ( or 'alphabet' ) to represent itself, and given that any representation in English is simply an approximation of the character set (which the Slavs think of as an 'alphabet') and the phonetics of a foreign language, why the hell is it that I'm puzzled about the fact that "Joseph Stalin", or 'JS' is represented by 'IS' in the game of Combat Mission?

Or you could take the alternate approach of wondering to yourself, 'Am I thick, then? Why don't them foreigners spell things correctly?'

Originally posted by Seanachai:

At the point in time in which Chris Colon was sailing, heading off into the unknown was an act of Cosmological Significance.

You pillock.

You nitwit. You've really topped yourself this time. The abysmal depths of your ignorance are only approached by the abysmal depths of that slime pit where you dwell. If you are too numbed of sense to know that sailing off into the Unknown is of more Existential Significance...well, what is to be said in your behalf? Very little, I fear.

Friends, take heed. Shave your palms every morning or you too may end up as poor Seanachai here, lacking even two healthy neurons to rub together, unable to distinguish between two obvious concepts.

Michael

[ June 10, 2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]