The Morale Model is RETARDED...

Too bad only a few of us could actually see the movie for ourselves.

Squatdog -- I think the review board has issued their judgment. It has gone decidedly against you. You have been found to have committed user error which resulted in the lose of the squad operating under your command. Numerous circumstances have been pointed out to you by people who viewed the footage. Those that commented have been playing this game for years and have distinguished themselves as veteran CM players and scenario designers. As for your credentials, it appears to be 35 posts arguing a minor gripe.

You will retain your rank and priviledges. You are, however, forbidden to continue to whip a dead horse.

Everyone here will agree that the game has flaws. Get used to it and get over it. The best way to play this game is to play it against a human opponent. You are lucky that people here will continue to tolerate you and many would still be willing to play a game against you.

edit - typo

[ May 25, 2007, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Squatdog:The word I was searching for would be 'broken', but watching units being routed by an enemy section farting in their general direction led me to use a more expressive term.
It's not more expressive so much as simply being a term that makes your argument weaker than the Zimbabwean Dollar to start with, to be honest.

It would be great if you could describe some instances in which rested, hardened combat soldiers tasked to assault an enemy position in the midst of a major setpiece battle would flee uncontrollably in the face of sporadic, ineffective fire that was insufficent to cause a single casulty, even when they were running away helplessly in the open.
Every battle has its ups and downs.

Outside of some of the more completely suicidal Waffen SS formations, I'm sure that happened from time to time in many campaigns.

People get a bit shaky under fire and all.

[ I consider the ] Total War series [ to be a wargame series ]
The Total War series is a series of wargames about as much as Belgium is a major world player...

[ and the ]Close Combat series.
Isn't very good at doing morale.

Any game, series, or boardgame that doesn't feature units fleeing uncontrollably in the face of inefffective fire while not actually sustaining any casualties...
Even the Steel Panthers series, which has some pretty huge discrepancies between itself and real life does morale well enough to know that it's not just getting killed that scares people.

Seemingly, you have the actual military acumen of Idi Amin.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jBrereton:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />[ I consider the ] Total War series [ to be a wargame series ]

The Total War series is a series of wargames about as much as Belgium is a major world player...

</font>

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

Belgium ranks 30th in the GDP rankings (76th in population, no natural resources to speak of) and is among the top 10 exporting countries in the world.

But yeah, we're only good at making waffles :D .

Good waffles though, and good beer. And the Imperial War Museum thing in Brussels is awesome. Sooo many goodies.

Originally posted by jBrereton:

It's a lovely place, and I've been there a lot - it's just that it doesn't exactly have much of a voice in international politics.

It was also a bit of a joke ;)

I know, I know ;) . Total war is even less of a wargame than belgium a major world player, a whole lot less.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Belgium? Constant rain, horrible food, worst motorways north of Morocco.

All the best

Andreas

I'll give you the rain, although it is actually British of course, we just get the leftovers.

Your motorways, despite any delusions you may have, are no better than ours. At least we have the sense to keep the number of lanes constant instead of switching from 2 to 3 and back again every 10 kms. The only spanking new surfaces you'll find are in former East Germany, this despite eternal roadworks that move at the rate of 1 cm per month. And aren't you living in Italy right now ? I can only surmise you just haven't discovered the Italian motorways as such yet.

A German's opinion on matters of food are of course best ignored.

Squatdog,

Open a new PBEM game in CMBB.

Allied attack, AG South, Dec '42 to feb '43.

40 turns, 1500 points, Medium map. Rarity normal,

Fix the axis nationality selection to ITALIANS.

Cherry pick your favourite soviet forces and formations.

Send me the setup at

raven_song73@yahoo.com

Lets see if Giovani can stop the red hordes of asia

Title the E-Mail 'Squatdog Vs Corvid'.

Every battle has its ups and downs. People get a bit shaky under fire and all.
This response is in no way vague or nebulous and contains many rational and well thought-out counter-arguements...nice job!

PS: Jean Claude Van Damme would axe kick you straight in your dirty face for making disparaging remarks about Belgium...

Originally posted by Squatdog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Every battle has its ups and downs. People get a bit shaky under fire and all.

This response is in no way vague or nebulous and contains many rational and well thought-out counter-arguements...nice job!

PS: Jean Claude Van Damme would axe kick you straight in your dirty face for making disparaging remarks about Belgium... </font>

Section (Uk), squad (US) both represent the sub-division of a platoon. Half-squad is a generic term to cover the splitting of a section/squad, In modern terms a fireteam. Given that CM does not allow a realistic depiction of a section/squad leaders flexibility in dealing with various tactical situation, I think criticism of Squatdog for inaccurate terminology is somewhat ill advised.

don't talk about sections when you mean squads or vice versa
Ugh.

('squads' are refered to as 'sections' in British and most Commonwealth armies)

Your men were not in command
It's debatable whether this would have made much of a difference as the HQ section had no morale bonus.

If you were using half squads instead of full squads
They were full squads.

It is unclear whether your men were running or advancing.
They were ADVANCING and you can clearly see this in the tooltip.

Certainly canister flying across their path would break them instantly as canister
The canister was from an enemy gun, directed at the MG42 and Halftrack firing in support.

The canister round was insufficent to panic the other section 'affected' by it's blast.

A squad routing in open ground is basically a write off. True.
The squad was running around uncontrollably for at least 6 turns, yet STILL didn't take a single casualty. I had a game the other night where a scetion routed from their foxhole and pinballed back and forth in full view of the enemy for over ten turns and eventually returned to command without having taken a single casualty...

BFC are now trying to convince us in ToW that galavanting about in an open field under fire is a perfectly viable tactic. Perhaps you should switch games ?
I'll look into it.

quote:Your men were not in command

It's debatable whether this would have made much of a difference as the HQ section had no morale bonus

No, it's not debatable.

Men in out of command break far more easily than men out of command - this is simply a CM fact. The morale bonus is applied on top of that.

The canister round was insufficent to panic the other section 'affected' by it's blast.

Was the other squad in command?

GaJ