Introducing an all new interface mod !

Greetings.

After months of hard work, it is with great pleasure that I present you this total interface conversion set. It changes both ingame and offgame user interface, including units portraits (made in good part with the help of many reenactment units, see readme file) and the order menu.

tdsip.jpg

I've uploaded it at the usual place.

I hope you like playing with it as much as I did designing it.

Any and all comments most welcome.

Cheers

Tarkus

Thanks guys. These comments are always encouraging, really.

I've just uploaded the french ingame version of the interface.

Plus, for those who might want to keep the original portraits, but also want to keep the darksteel interface, I've uploaded a patch with them original pics to which I added a frame and proper shadows. Good for both english and french version.

Now the question is: a german version anyone ? I'll be needing help if so.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I like your little 'advance' icon. :D

The Human wave icon is also interesting... smile.gif It captures well the essence of the move :D

All rigth. Let's get back to this CMAK interface.

I tried it out, but may go back to PakFan's. Or change it a bit. I'll try it a bit longer to get used to it.

The HQ abilities are hard to spot - a bit of colour might fix that (yellow lightning, red heart).

The arrow and playback buttons are out of sync with the rest IMO - too futuristic.

I have some difficulty getting used to reading the unit status at a glance - pinned, tired taking cover etc. But that may be a question of getting used to them.

But there are tons of other very nice details. The attention to detail is remarkable. Great work, Tarkus!

I made a few modifications to suit my own taste. They are available as a zip file here.

I changed the text colour of Tiring, Tired and Exhausted to show the state more clearly - the text becomes progressively more yellow.

Did the same to the Alerted > Panic > Routed sequence.

Changed the leader morale icon (heart) to red, the lightning to yellow and the stealth icon to a violet shading (much nicer then the original stealth icon).

Made the Hiding text grey and the Captured text light blue.

I'll post it on CMMODS in a while - I'll use it a bit first. Fell free to take a copy. And do send me some feedback.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

The HQ abilities are hard to spot - a bit of colour might fix that (yellow lightning, red heart).

The arrow and playback buttons are out of sync with the rest IMO - too futuristic.

I have some difficulty getting used to reading the unit status at a glance - pinned, tired taking cover etc. But that may be a question of getting used to them.

One of the testers said the exact same thing about the video controls being too futuristic. I decided to leave it as is because I personnaly like it a lot, but I understand your point. I am away from home right now, but I'll try to think of something less glossy and keep you informed.

As for the HQ icons, you are also right, it is indeed a part were I think things can be improved. The one I am working on for CMAK should be better, but I'll look yours too, so we come up with the best compromise. I'll open a thread in the CMAK forum soon to show you guys where I am going, and we'll then be able to benefit frow all your ideas.

For the unit status, well, I personnally had no problem with the variation, but it is true that the font does not change - only the background. I will look at your modification and try it out though, because if it is better, BOOM, it'll go in.

Thanks for these constructive critics guys. I will keep them in mind for the CMAK interface, and feel free to comments more of the job as well.

Best

Tarkus

Tarkus

After reading the praises decided 2 DL this. Great job smile.gif It surely changed the looks a whole lot and those fonts on splashscreen have a true soviet feel to them IMO at least. Those action buttons need more time to get used to, but I am not bugged by their looks. I am also eager to see your work on cmak if you intend to convert that too. :D

Originally posted by Aristoteles:

A new game, that´s what it made to my old CMBB,waiting EAGERLY to your CMAK interface, post it soon, please (vive la france!!!)

Thanks Aristoteles. I am an happy man now :D

But just so you know, and nothing against France really, I am French Canadian. Best of both world: Good Food and Hockey tongue.gif

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Tarkus, you should be aware that my editing is a bit crude, esp. on the texts, as I did not have the backgrounds you used. the proper way to do it is to add the coloured text directly to the background. Instead, I used flood fill and pixel colouring to get the effect I wanted.

Not a problem. Nice work. I've downloaded it and the HQ bonuses you did are nice, mostly closer to the originals. You are right, color is indeed required for this information.

As for the color of the text, I used LettrGoth12 BT - 10 points (8 points for the captured/unarmed BMPs. I see you changed the 1085 "captured" bmp. You should likewise change the 1086 "unarmed" bmp for consistency.) Feel free to edit as you see fit and post the patch.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

I would like to see for cmak, 40's vintage toggle switches and military radio knobs.

Do you mean for the video playback control panel ? The camera controls ? For the rest of the interface, one does not have much space to work with. But the 40's vintage look may be achieved otherwise. I'll explore the question. Now I must find an old radio set, and perhaps look inside WWII armored vehicles for inspiration. :rolleyes:

This is going to be fun. I'll keep you all informed.

Cheers.

Tarkus

yes, just the main ui buttons, go and the 8 camera buttons. i like your cmbo black pushbuttons, but would like the wwii vintage look. tank control buttons might work. i looked at afv interiors site a while back but didnt find anything useable.

btw when i lived near detroit, i complained about french canadians, now i find out my english family tree goes back to 6th century france, lol

next i'll find my swedish side comes from norway.

yes, just the main ui buttons, go and the 8 camera buttons. i like your cmbo black pushbuttons, but would like the wwii vintage look. tank control buttons might work. (...)

I hear you. I'll try to find some things to work on. And now that I read comments here, I am thinking of making two different ingame CMAK interface sets. Apparently the "matrix-ish sci-fi-esque" camera controls just doesn't cut it for most.

Like I said, this is going to be fun :eek:

btw when i lived near detroit, i complained about french canadians, now i find out my english family tree goes back to 6th century france, lol

next i'll find my swedish side comes from norway.

6th century ? Boy, you're tracking back quite far. Not to worry though, just about everybody complain about French Canadians :D

Now, Norway isn't bad, is it ?

Cheers