CMBB replacement skies

I'm working on new skies for CMBB, but have run into a rather annoying problem: I can't figure out the textures! :( They seem to be the 14xxs (and possibly some 'blanks', as there is only one winter texture)...

Anyone have any idea which one goes where? On the first attempt I made a whole panorama to replace a texture, that doesn't seem to be the way to go, only covered a quarter of the sky. So I found four clear-skies textures and tried putting them together to see which one goes where, and three of them seemed to work fine any way I put them... But there was always one to spare that didn't seem to fit anywhere...

P.S. Are there any replacement skies available anywhere already, by the way? Haven't seen any...

[ January 25, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Bjorn Kristinsson ]

Yes! This is the biggest Mod we need IMO, so thanks for trying to take it on Bjorn.

I had a bodged attempt to port over Magua's beautiful Normandy skies from CMBO but had to give up as I couldn't figure it out. I was waiting for a CMBB .bmp list to be released before giving it another shot (so as you can see I didn't get far ;) ).

I really hope someone in the know can help you on this...

Oh dear...

They're not making it easy for us. There are 3 textures for each season/time of day, ordered like this:

Tex#1 - Text#2 - Tex#3 - Tex#2 (mirrored)

:(

So basically, it appears that Tex#1 and Tex#3 have to be looping, i.e. start and end in the same way, because they'll connect to one end of Tex#2, and then the same end again on the other side, because Tex#2 re-appears mirrored.

Bum.

Bjorn - that's interesting news about the textures, thanks. Do you know which .bmps are for which skies?

If you can list them I'll try to hunt down Magua and grovel to see if I can port his Normandy skies over from CMBO (trust me they're amazing).

I notice that you are getting some definite lines in your work in progress. Is this being caused by downsampling and have you figured a workaround?

Regarding the banding in the skies, IIRC that's caused by CM using 8 bit textures. (In BO it was, anyway, not sure in BB). When I made my BO skies, I added some gaussian noise, then I reduced the color depth to 8-bit with dithering on and saved that. This gave me a sky that was speckled instead of banded, but I preferred the speckled look. The reason for adding noise was to help the dithering look smoother.

• 4 weeks later...

Vader´s Jester ,

I apologize for the past " Refresh Hell " :D ...and hope I wont´t torture anyone in the future. BTW: designing sky textures for CMBB becomes a REAL NIGHTMARE. Beyond the " mirroring " problem with the northern- and southern textures ( I guess we all want seamless textures ) , there seems to be some distortion in the other textures as well ( CMBB has no ordinary " sky box " like other games ). I am very thankfull that Dan offered his help. I Will contact him soon. Ben Bittner ( Surly Ben ) has done some marvellous perspective corrections to his CMBO sky textures and I hope I found a way to treat my own bitmaps the same way. Anyway: here is another teaser called " Transylvanian Winter Night ". I know that the " ET " moon is way too big , but it looks great in the game.

Winternight.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Tom has some beauties in the works. But we all know how long it took to get his BotB mod for CMBO though. ;)

It was refresh hell for weeks for me! :eek: