Rookie struck with awe

Agua

I know you vets will think, "yeah, big deal", but MAN I am impressed with the graphical representations of combat in this game (forgive me, I just got my CD last Saturday evening so I am still in the midst of discovering the features of this game). But last night, in a QB, I actually watched a couple of my infantry squads lob grenades from the woods at a German HT to take it out from about 20m away. In a subsequent turn, the abandoned HT was in the path of one of my Sherman's and the tank just RAMMED into the back of the HT and pushed it out of the way!!! I couldn't believe it and literally shouted in amazement, "BAAAD A$$$$$$$"...LOL!!! This game is just tooo much. I can't wait until I have time to study the manual (as that is where the meat of the game is explained). Thanks BTS!!!

Good luck all!!!

Agua

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

::raises hand::

Beginner's luck...

YEAH!

Beginer's luck for SURE!

Hey, jsut for the record we ahve all been noticing that v1.12 makes it harder to take HT's during close assualt.

SO I wonder if he can tell us which version of the Software he is playing?

Is it v1.11 or did he update to v1.12?

Its no big deal really I was just curious.

Thanks

-tom w

One of my early surprises when I first got CM... Went through the expense of getting a crack Scharfschutze and was hiding out in an ambush in some woods 40m from a road waiting to shoot up any American troops. Unfortunately I got the Tank sound contact but decided,"what the hell" and still ambush the sucker. Sure enough a blasted Pershing starts rolling by and had my sniper make the shot... pow! Got the tank commander and the M26 froze for a bit. Before any follow up troops/tanks could get my sniper he hi-tailed it to a secondary position so not to push his luck. Anyhow, it made it easier for my Panzerschrecks to take out a buttoned Pershing but it was just so gratifying to zoom all the way in and see the tank commander oblivious to the sniper and then hear and see the results.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Version? I was playing with the v1.12 patch installed. I take it that the prior version destroyed HT quicker? It did take over a full turn for them to take it out, but they were missing the darned thing right and left with grenades exploding behind, in front, off to the side, blah, blah. It was approximately 45 feet away ya know.

Originally posted by Agua:

Version? I was playing with the v1.12 patch installed. I take it that the prior version destroyed HT quicker? It did take over a full turn for them to take it out, but they were missing the darned thing right and left with grenades exploding behind, in front, off to the side, blah, blah. It was approximately 45 feet away ya know.

OK

THat makes sense.

ANd yes in earlier versions a squad of guys used to take out an HT by lobbing a grenade or two at it in less than a minute every time. So some of us here thought there had been a change and that something was different in v1.12 and that open top HT's and AFV's were now harder to take out with greanades in Close assault, but Matt and Charles have stated that nothing has changed.

In any case v1.12 has been stated to be the final FINAL patch so this is now the way it is. smile.gif

thanks for the update and your version number.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 02-20-2001).]

Guest Mikey D

If you think the game is 'real' after you first couple plays, wait til you're positioned behind your TD in good hull-down position on an overcast day, viewing through x4 binoculars as the 76mm AP tracer arcs toward a Tiger 700 meters away... and the shell ricochets off the turret front! Now that's realism.

There hasn't been enough said on this site about CM's mind-bending super-realistic zoom lens feature!