OT: Junkyard Wars

oh YEAH!

Great Show

VERY entertaining

But they should Blow more stuff up

I've seen drag races and boats that have to put out fires and stuff like that

yeah ok its good

BUT they shoudl make MORE destructive things like build Tanks that shoot each other or bombs that blow stuff up

I saw them make a cannon once but it was not really all that destructive smile.gif

But it is FUN to watch anyway

-tom w

umm, I see I am not alone in watching mindless tripe on tv. I'd have to say my favorite junkyard was where they were having to tear down the brick walls at the old plant. Too bad the best team lost in that one.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

My favorite series as well. Tivo grabs it for me religiously. I dont like the American version nearly as much as the English version. It's just more enjoyable when someone "bodges" something together, or the funny way they say aluminum. smile.gif

The show has got my creative juices going and I am in the process of (de)constructing several items for fun.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

The Americanized version definitely leaves something to be desired. Half the fun of the British episodes was listening to the banter.

Nonetheless, it still brings me back to the carefree days of youth and power tools. We never seemed to build much though - just took stuff apart (impromptu convertible, anyone?)...

The new Americanized version is horrible! Well, it's still most likely a good show...but the Brit version is just that much better. I was literally yelling at the TV last week when the 1st US episode was played, "they ruined my favorite show" Personally I'm hoping that they are just filler shows until the real show gets some more episodes, you know the Brit's had to go to 1st rd, 1/4's, semis, finals. The hope of filler comes from the new style going 1st rd, semis... Also, Last weeks episode, gee haven't I seen some team already build an air cannon-and use bikes for power, yep sure did, the 2nd season rugby toss. Additionally, for some reason I don't like the new American teams, attitude, or lack of style..something. I hate it when they take one of the few things worth turning on the TV for and go messing it up. Thus endeth the pointless rant.

I also like Junkyard Wars but the Brit version was superior. I enjoy the Brit-Speak and the male host Robert LLewellyn was great on Red Dwarf and was doing a great job with the British version. I do wish they had brought him over with the female co-host.

MikeT

Over here (US) Robot Wars is called Battlebots. And I am sure the Brit version is better. Battlebots is fun but it is too slick and too short - only a half hour. They show three matches and a couple of highlights and that's it. I would like to see more stuff on how the bots were designed and built. But that Donna whats-her-name is ..umm...well you know.

I liked the one where they built the cannons. The military team made asses out of themselves by trying to machine a projectile and then attaching a plastic streamer on the back. The streamer melted and wedged the projectile in the end of the barrel whereby the tube shifted forward.

The other team just used cannon ball type projectiles and wadding. They did a pretty good job.

Religous watcher of both Junkyard Wars and Battlebots (and RobotWars on PBS). First off, I must agree when the US grabbed the show, they butchered it, though I still love to watch it. The new host sucks. I tried to get a team on it smile.gif

As for BattleBots and RobotWars, I prefer BattleBots much more. RobotWars seems that the robots are too weak. They just lullygag around gently smacking into each other. My bet is the lightweight Zippo. He tears the crap out of everything. Head to the Comedy Central website to get more info on the bots before they fight!

stimpy

Great show, JWars. I also loved the "break the building" ep, and thought the team with the dino-crane should have won (stupid weak Aframe and split radiator hose)

But I think my favorites were the ones featuring Bowser and his London buddies, whose motto was "big and heavy and LOTS of welding."

The shows with the American guy as primary host aren't as good; he's not as entertaining as the Englishman, and I just don't find the American teams interesting.

I like B-Bots, but I sure wish they'd extend the time limits. 3 minutes usually doesn't give enough time for any real damage.

DjB

OK, but has anyone noticed that there seems to be a little bit of "wee bit of coincidence" when the teams need a certain material for something they need which a perfect material for what they need to make.

For instance, in one episode where they need to create something to fly, one team was going to use helium balloons, but the regular plastic balloons wouldn't hold the helium. They looked around and found an old car's trunk full of mylar, the same stuff used in making those disc-shaped alluminum foil looking balloons for birthdays and stuff. Now what are the odds??? rolleyes.gif

Heheh! I've notice that Maximus.

I just watched one the other day where they had to build a wheat harvester.... and what's this??? There is the front end of a Combine sitting right there in the junk yard! rolleyes.gif

My two favorite that I have seen have been the Steam driven car, and the cannon.

The car was funny since they really didn't think through the rules all that well... since you only get a 5 minute penalty for pushing the car, either team could have essentially pushed the car throiugh the whole course and won. biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

I always assumed that they stock the junkyard with whatever is needed for that show, there always seems to be just the right parts and just enough of them. The show would kind of suck if one team lost because the junkyard didn't have the parts they needed to build the machine.

Pvt.Tom

Have you noticed the common thread with Robot Wars and Scrap Heap Challenge....the presenters are both from Red Dwarf. Kryton looks after the Scrap Heap while Lister looks after the bots. All we need now is the cat and Rimmer doing a cookery show.

What about you Americans getting Kirk and Spock to do your shows ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>OK, but has anyone noticed that there seems to be a little bit of "wee bit of coincidence" when the teams need a certain material for something they need which a perfect material for what they need to make.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wondered about that too, last night they were doing the "boat" episode and there seemed to be propellers everywhere (relatively speaking). I also have to wonder about the time limits, based on what I've seen so far isn't it remarkable that as far behind as some of them were they ALL got their projects finished on time? Methinks there's a fudge factor beyond the extra hour "tweaking" time on the day of competition. Still, it's a great show and I watch it regularly. I tend to agree about the Brit version, although the US version seems to be improving. And how about the "Displacement Boat" on last nights episode? I won't spoil it for anyone but that was pretty cool and really suprised me.

Joe