Future CMs - 4 player TCP/IP games?

The other day I was playing RiskII with some friends on the LAN, and the thought struck me, how cool would it be if it could be more than 2 players in CM TCP/IP games in CM?

Think about it, you could either split the points with you allied and buy seperartly or just split the forces. Think how this would effect communication and control? You had to actually plan with your allied where to strike, what to do and so forth. You could let one person handle the AFV and the other the infantery, then you would really have a combined arms effort! Obviously, you would have to be able to communicate with your partner, via chat or something.

So this way you could have a game with 3 or 4 players. I don't think it would be nesescary for more players as it would be impractical. With 5 or more players it would hardly be any forces left for you to command! smile.gif

So, what do you think about it?

This may be under consideration for the engine rewrite, CMII. CMBB/CM2 will have the same TCP/IP player options as CMBO (though possibly with some fixes).

This may be fairly complex to execute, especially with the planned addition of relative spotting to the next engine. But CMII may take about two years or so to complete, so there may be time to add such features.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

[QB]The other day I was playing RiskII with some friends on the LAN, and the thought struck me, how cool would it be if it could be more than 2 players in CM TCP/IP games in CM?

---------------------------------------------

I totally agree

Some friends and I tried 2 per PC and split the forces, but it just wasn't all that fun. It would be way better 4 individuals on their own PC's, so you aren't aware of the exact moves of your teammate.

As Schrullenhaft mentioned CMII is suppose to have this in the new game engine. TCP/IP are a blast now, can you image with 4. I can't wait.

That would be incredible. Imagine how much harder it would be to tell friend from foe during night engagements. If the 4 player model treated the 4 players completely seperately, you might have real problems with unit identification. Imagine starting a firefight with a unit in front of you and haviing 2 minutes of fighting going on with losses before you realize they were allied troops (your side). That would really slow down low visibilty battles.

Scott

I would guess if you are on the same side you'll have a little bit of info on where your neighboring company is. Sure there sometimes might be lost radio contact or something, but I would guess ost of the time you would be able to tell where your neighboring friendly company/battalion is.

As someone who has just played their first TCP/IP game, I wholeheartedly agree with the posts on this thread. Being able to have multiple players command different units would be fantastic.

Of course, not being a programmer it's easier said (wished for) than done. :D

Hi,

I agree that team play would be a big step forward, not that it is not already a great, stunning game. I also believe that relative spotting is only really solved by having team play. Each player only sees what his units see of the battlefield. In my view, others will differ; this is the only realistic way of dealing with relative spotting.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. My other wish for CMII is an operational layer.