ASL 2 CM site gone?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the new page I get at the old site

The ASL 2 CM site has been closed.

I've decided this after careful consideration and it was my decision to do so. I have a number of reasons for this and the copyrights was a very important one of them. The whole site was built around the assumption that this setup was accepted. Now I know this is not the case, and I've taken action based on that.

Crap.

I just now realized that all the tips and techniques for converting scenarios that I had hoped to one day use...are now gone! WAHHHHHHHHH

Does this mean we are unable to reincranate the site with another form? Goosh! This is terrible!

I smell some conspiracy theory is working right here.

Is there any way we can contact Col?

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I am sure I have "Calvary Hill" which I think is the last one before it shuts down. If any arrangements, we may do it through e-mail, the use of encryption is advised. smile.gif

Griffin.

Originally posted by MikeT:

BTW, good news I feel that I have all of his scenarios and maps except for one or two of the latest. They have proved invaluable in the conversions of scenarios for DFDR. I was able to work up a scenario requested by a gamer a few days ago "Swatting at Tigers" Haven't tried it yet, no time for testing scenarios. I still have around 6 left to create, map wise that is, then I must find them playtested.

MikeT

Thanks for the encouragement.

First, I just have the scenarioes, most of them I think. And as I have previously pointed out, I don't have the full list and I have no maps in my collection. Worse, I mix them with other scenarioes I have to take time to sort them out.

Second, it is more important if I am going to host it, I don't have my own web site yet. I have yet to find a free hosting site. I personally don't mind setting up a site I have to pay for it.

Sounds like I am a little too serious. Hum. smile.gif

Thridly, I have not word with any other parties yet but there may be, hopefully, something going on under the carpet and if there is anything I can contribute I would be grateful to do so, even though I may not be hosting or making any decisions and so on.

Lastly, if things are going well and we are able to reincrante it again, we may have to remove all those stupid, possible, infringements from the scenarioes before they can be posted "safely" again.

I am still watching my mailbox and this thread.

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I don't see why OOBs would have to be different - actually, in ASL, you have LMG counters, in CM you have inherent LMGs, etc., so you pretty much have a different OOB from the outset.

I agree, try to find MMGs in the CM OOBs, or squads without leaders the way ASL used to list them on the scenario cards. In CM you can't select just a squad, you have to select a platoon with an HQ.

There are many other differences between the games, e.g. 80mm off-board German artillery with smoke shells -- there is no smoke in the CM version.

I also have the ASL maps, but I downloaded them on September 4th, 2000. If someone knows about any updates to them since, and still have the zip file for them, I would like to receive them.

I am sad to see Col.Kotz' site go down, it will be sorely missed -- very well designed, extremely useful. This is a big loss.

frown.gif

[This message has been edited by patboivin (edited 02-09-2001).]

Originally posted by patboivin:

No there isn't -- not for Army (Heer) 81mm mortars off-board.

If you purchase a mortar to place on the map, you will get smoke. It's not an option for off-board. At least not in my copy of CM 1.1.

wink.gif

When targeting with an off-map FO, use "K". This will allow you to use smoke. However, using either smoke or HE uses a "round" of ammo.

--Philistine

HASBRO & CM & ASL 2 CM issues

I was going to start an ASL website with the permission to host it at wargamer.com and with the blessing of Curt Schilling, owner of Multiman Publishing.

I wanted to run a scenario of the month club and produce scenarios for people and have AARs and articles about the scenario. When I went to publish the scenario cards in PDF format I had a TON of people start talking about Hasbro this and Hasbro that.

It seems that...

1. You can't do or make anything that appears exactly like something that is ASL. Everything they do is branded, included the format of scenario cards.

2. You cannot use the exact unit graphics from the counters in more than an expository way (ie. this is an ASL counter I scanned see how pretty it is)

3. You cannot publish anything under the auspices of ASL. (Makes sense...but that also includes putting a stamp of approval on it that it is or works like ASL)

So...While I don't think it was a Hasbro thing...it may have been (didn't read the whole thread yet) I think that there are a lot of hurdles standing in the way of creating a true ASL support site that has anything more than AARs / articles / and reviews on it.

Keith

I have been in touch with Klotz. In his last message, he mentioned the following:

Be aware however that Hasbro has declared that they don't want this material spread. My fear is that a continuation can hit back on BTS and MMP. That wouldn't be fair to them.

Based on this, I will probably still convert scenarios for my own use, but I will not be making them public. Hasbro's attitude is unfortunate, but they have the right.

Originally posted by patboivin:

No there isn't -- not for Army (Heer) 81mm mortars off-board.

If you purchase a mortar to place on the map, you will get smoke. It's not an option for off-board. At least not in my copy of CM 1.1.

wink.gif

Off board artillery does not make a destinction about ammo type... you could use all your ammo as HE or Smoke, or both.

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I have been in touch with Klotz. In his last message, he mentioned the following:

"Be aware however that Hasbro has declared that they don't want this material spread. My fear is that a continuation can hit back on BTS and MMP. That wouldn't be fair to them."

Based on this news, I think everyone should use E-Mail or a chat to continue this conversation... wouldn't want to see BTS or any of you in trouble.

The company I work for (...and hate) ran through a copyright action, and it isn't pretty.

Holdit,

Sadly, Col. Koltz's site was in Sweden. You know, US lawyers are pretty powerful and fearsome. Well, you can see how these people affect the outcome of US presidential elections. smile.gif That is one of the last things I want to mess around with.

Griffin.

Originally posted by Holdit:

Sorry if someone has asked this already, but couldn't someone host the site outside of the US?

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

It's been ages since I have participated on this forum (about 6 months).

But I would like to extend my thanks to the Colonel for hosting my CM Excel database (now sadly out of date). Eventhough the database had nothing to do with ASL, he was kind enough to give it a home.

The Excel file was actually pretty neat, if incomplete, and even had nifty pictures (the VB scripting to view the pictures was supplied by Mike Ratay).

The CM community has some great folks in it; I wonder why I ever stopped participating.

Anyway, thanks Colonel!

Jason

As you all might have noticed the ASL2CM site has been closed down some days ago. I decided to take this drastic move for a number of reasons. The most important one is that the site contained material that is copyrighted. Hasbro is the copyrightholder of it and they are not pleased to see the spreading of their material in that way. This issue has been brought up before and I have tried to change the site to not violate this. The problem has however remained. Now other things of personal nature did sped up my decision to do something about it, and it turned out this way. With a little hindsight I would have done it differently, I know that now. The site expanded beyond what I could have imagined it could have done.

I've read that there is a wish or plans for republishing the battles on the net. I however fear that spreading them further might hit back on the community, MMP, BTS or whoever publish them. One could have differing opinions about that, but the fact remains that the situation has changed. The ones who own the original material has reacted. I suppose that it's perfectly legal to convert a board at home and do whatever one wish with it, but publishing it over the net is another thing.

ASL scenarios is for many nostalgia and thesedays look like abandoned material but definitely is not. MMP is publishing it and taking the game ahead and even publish new material. Combat Mission is following it's own path and despite their similarity they are very different games. I of course hope they will both flourish, but the combination just didn't work.

Thanks for the help I've got from everyone with everything, it has definitely been a fun period. I've learnt alot along the way, not least about scenario designing and webmastering. Now I will move on to whatever endeavours lie ahead.

Col. Klotz

Guest MantaRay

Anyone who has ANY of the ASL scenarios, can send them to me and I will have no problem putting them on my newly revamped site.

I do have some from when I visited it a few months ago, but if there are new ones, please send them on over. I will not be bullied by a damn toy company.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror