ASL 2 CM site gone?

Say it ain't so!

"The ASL 2 CM site has been closed permanently!"

This is the message that greets me at my bookmark for the site. Just last night I was there looking over their library of scenarios, and now... Gone?

Can anyone shed any light on this disaster?

Martyr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.ASL2CM.com was only a alias for http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

Unfortunately it seems that Col. Klotz has closed down for good! eek.gif

We will miss his great site!!!

Regards,

The Adder

------------------

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so by learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead, to remind me I'm best" - Edmund Blackadder

The question might be, is it Hasbro we're dealing with here, or Infogrames, which bought Hasbro Interactive?

Hasbro sold off the ASL rights to Multi-Man Publishing (www.advancedsquadleader.com). I don't know if that includes the computer rights. Infogrames has the rights to computer versions of pretty much everything Hasbro (and perhaps AH as well), while Hasbro retains non-computer game rights.

So, if lawyers are the culprits here, it's tough to sort out whose legal eagles are doing the swooping.....

Hi all

Very sad turns of events for a truly excellent site if what you lot are saying about copyright issues etc is true ? frown.gif

Am only glad I DL just about every scn Col Klotz etc made.......

Maybe its all only temporary ? heres hoping.

Cheers

Gary Barr

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Fellas,

The gentleman who cited copyright problems is most likely correct. After requesting permission from MMP to use ASL scenarios in our upcoming DFDR mod, MikeT received a curtly worded e-mail from MMP. Although no one stands to profit from the mod in any way, their advice was to cease the use of any mention of ASL IMMEDIATELY. We've since done so, but they seem to be on somewhat of a witchhunt. We were said to be on "shaky legal ground". It's possible that they told Col. Klotz the same thing.

Clubfoot.

give me a break hasbro or whatever evil

entity you are! these are the same stooges

trying to convince us the computer game

"Squad Leader" has something to do with

ASL.. give me a break. unfortunatly most

of us are beyond 'super mario bros' and

want quality games!!

If copyright is the problem, perhaps the files might still be made available, just without any mention of ASL.

Perhaps someone could make a big .zip of all the scenario files that were available on the departed site. I'd love to have them.

Martyr

Damn!!!! This sucks!!!

Sgt Steiner, is there a way that I could get a hold of those scenarios and maps from you? I had be meaning to download all of those maps and scenarios from that site, I just hadnt had the time.

Maybe a stuffit archive could fit must of them snuggly.

I would be willing to pay for a CD of them and all costs and shipping for it as well.

What do ya say? smile.gif

Freak

Fortunatly, Hasbro/MMC/AH cannot copyright historical events. I would feel free to use any ASL scenario as the basis for a Combat Mission battle, including conversions of ASL maps to CM format. They do not have a copyright as far as that goes. While you cannot use the ASL name, logo, or any images of their products, the scenarios and maps at the old ASL4CM site should be perfectly fine to put up elsewhere - as long as no reference is made to ASL.

I am no lawyer, but I believe copyright law makes exceptions for direct quotations that are referenced. I wonder if one could take the historical intro and aftermath sections of a scenario card and use them, as long as they were credited? Preferably to the scenario designer, where known.

There may be some understandable bitterness (again, this too is only a guess) on the part of some people that "Avalon Hill's Squad Leader" was such a dud, while Combat Mission is both selling like hotcakes AND receiving critical acclaim. They had their chance and they blew it; now they are going to continue alienating the wargaming community. How sad for them.

I must say - the ASL4CM site was the first CM site I ever bookmarked, and a large part of the reason I finally went ahead and ordered the full version of the game. It will be sorely missed. It was also the best source of info I knew of on the upcoming Desert Rats module.

Good words Michael Dorosh, good words. Hope those maps make it back online, or lets try and get a hardcopy going around. Would be nice to have them all on a CD available to all...though this is unlikely duw to cost, but if everyone who wants one pitches in for the cost of it maybe it can be done. smile.gif

Hi Freak

Sgt Steiner, is there a way that I could get a hold of those scenarios and maps from you?

I dont have the maps but I think I have all the Scns (several/all (?) were put into Pbem packs anyhow) send me an email to

sgtsteiner@sgtsteiner.worldonline.co.uk

with list of those you have and I will try to send you those you need (likely in several posts though)

If someone can host these in some way I suspect it would be best ?

BTW this Computer illiterate has no idea what 'stuffit' is other than a mild insult in my neck of wood smile.gif

This is sad for us and Col Klotz (who must have spent hours on the site.

I was so looking forward to all the Eastern Front SL/ASL scns......

Gary Barr

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

hmmph... what lousy news! frown.gif

I downloaded everything (maps, scenarios) last week and may still have the zip-files.

I'm at work right now but will check when I get home and post an update.

Rgds,

- Jeff

------------------

"The mass of the [Red] army stationed in Western Russia is to be destroyed in bold operations involving deep penetrations by armored spearheads, and the withdrawal of elements capable of combat into the extensive Russian land spaces is to be prevented.

By means of rapid pursuit a line is then to be reached from beyond which the Russian air force will no longer be capable of attacking the German home territories."

- - - Directive 21 "Fall Barbarossa"

[This message has been edited by Purple4Ever (edited 02-08-2001).]

Well, to be honest, I wouldnt know exactly which one of my 3rd party scenarios are asl ones. I do have a bunch though, mostly from cmhq, and from COMBAT MISSIONS web site. I could list them all for you, though I would say I have at about 75+ senarios as is at the moment.

hmm,

maybe some polite(!) emails will show MMP and their masters from the lower planes what we think about their army of lawyers...

for the people...

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

Hi again

Originally posted by Freak:

Well, to be honest, I wouldnt know exactly which one of my 3rd party scenarios are asl ones.

This is my problem too !

I think though that most of Col Klotzs had an Asl pre-fix but some may not have.

I will have a look tomorrow (using the excellent Scn Database) as it has just turned Midnight here and I DO need my beauty sleep, trust me on this one smile.gif

Cheers

Gary Barr zzzzzzzzzzzz

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK