OT: Saving Private Ryan Amazing on DVD

Wally World is the worst place to go for DVD. The 'Net is much better. Cheaper per title, and infinitely better selection. Reel.com is a good place to start for Internet DVD. I've gotten Cross of Iron, Kelly's Heroes, All Quiet on the Western Front ('79 version), and many others. Try finding any of those at Wally World!

------------------

Vor der Kaserne, vor dem grossen Tor, stand eine Laterne und steht sie nach davor.

So wollen wir uns wiedersehn, bei der Laterne woll'n wir stehn,

wie einst Lili-Marleen,

wie einst Lili-Marleen.

Agreed.

I'm a huge SPR fan and have the Motion Picture Academy screener (the one they use to decide their Oscar picks- don't even get me started on THAT); the pan-and-scan VHS; the wide-screen VHS; and the DVD. The only one I ever actually watch is the DVD. Personally, I think you have to HEAR it through a Surround Sound system to really appreciate it. Sound is half the movie in this case: If you don't feel shell-shocked after watching it, you weren't watching it right. Interestingly, I watched the DVD on my friends computer and noticed that although the sound certainly wasn't as good, the picture was substantially better on his computer monitor than my TV.

Happy New Year (soon) from Oregon!

Von Fauster

[This message has been edited by Von Fauster (edited 01-01-2001).]

How'd you like the Tiger a.k.a. modified T-34 in SPR?

I've got it on video. In just starting a DVD collection I just got Stalingrad on DVD a few days ago. Remember seeing it at Tower Records but couldn't find it retail years ago.

One of my favorite WWII movies though is The Longest Day. I really liked the attempt to show things from the Germans' side and not portraying them like complete buffoons.

'Course, I still have a soft spot for John Wayne's Sand of Iwo Jima...Semper Fi!

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

How'd you like the Tiger a.k.a. modified T-34 in SPR?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any OFFICIAL acknowledgement of that rumor. If it is modified, there ain't much left of the original T-34 chassis.

Right. I have heard no official confirmation of that either. Besides, if it basically LOOKS like a Tiger, who cares if it's a modified VW bug?

EDIT: Max and I are agreeing on a surprising amount of things lately.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 01-01-2001).]

Guest Rex_Bellator

At this year's Beltring Military show in Kent was an awesome display by the same group who did the Omaha and the other battle scenes in SPR, and the whole shooting match was brilliantly narrated by the man who was the advisor for the battle scenes in the film. I've been looking for my guidebook but I can't find it at present and unfortunately I can't remember their names.

Anyway, he told the story of how Spielberg wanted Tigers in the film despite the fact it was ahistorical, mainly because it's a tank that many have heard of and had a fearsome reputation. He specifically said that their 'Tiger' was built on a T-34 chassis and that it's was correct in it's measurements to within 1 inch. Most people (including Spielberg apparently) were surprised that the Tiger wasn't as big as a house when it was finished, a reaction which said a great deal for it's reputation. He actually drove the thing in the film (as well as the 'zooked Halftrack which he owned) and had lot's of anecdotes. I'll find my guide for full info when I get the chance.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

Frankly I get a DVD player initially just for SPR. I don't think it is any good if it on tape nor VCD, after I saw SPR in the Threater.

I have got AB2F also on DVD, kinda longish but a great movie.

Some other recommendations on DVD (I think a lot have been covered before)

Stalingard

Cross of Iron

Das Boot (Director's cut)

And coming soon:

Winter War (I have the tape version)

Oh, it is not a war movie but:

Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon

I hope it is out on DVD real soon. I say it last July and it is still showing in US. Beautiful and magical.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 01-02-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

At this year's Beltring Military show in Kent was an awesome display by the same group...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I missed that part of the narration! Sat on a fence on the "left" side taking photos, oh how I wished for a 80-200 lens instead of my 28-80. *sigh*

The speaker-system was a bit bad on that side.

Were you there all 5 days? I was there Thursday-Saturday.

If you're interested, a few pictures: http://home.swipnet.se/stefanf/

Guest Rex_Bellator

Hi Stefan, I was only there for one day (Saturday) and was sat on the embankment at the front just to make sure I was really covered in dust by the end of the displays. The show was a big surprise to me, far exceeding my expectations so I'll be back this year with a few mates.

The pics on your site brought it all back, and I noticed you have a shot of the SPR group in action. Do you know if the 2001 show will be as big? If it is then I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone able to get to it. CM players will love it.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

Nigel Hay came by the camp I was hanging around with the most. I asked him if they would be able to top this. He just shook his head and laughed.

If you live in UK, this is a must see! Official homepage: http://www.warandpeace.uk.com

Even if you don't live in the UK, you should go, as I did, well worth it.

Here is another site with some photos of Beltring2000: http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk