Best War Movies (re-revisited)....

I watched the young Indiana Jones during the actions in Africa and France. These were pretty cool.

Probably the best war movie I have seen in a while is "Little Big Man", starring Dustin Hoffman. A very long film, but, very well done. It was a very interesting satirical about the American west during the last few years of the Indian wars. It dealt with a white man (Hoffman) who was raised by Indians and continually jumpped back and forth from living as an Indian and living in the white world. Very interesting film.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about that one with Kirk Doulglas. It was directed by Kubrick. It was about these three French soldiers who are wrongfully accused of disobeying orders. Kirk Douglas defends them during there courtmartial. Very little WWI action though. Has very cool and realistic representations of trenches though.

I just don't remember the gall-dern name!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

How about that one with Kirk Doulglas. It was directed by Kubrick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paths of Glory... Awesome movie (and oft mentioned in the big movie threads).

I would have to say an offbeat fave of mine is Swimming to Cambodia. A Spaulding Gray monolog about his experieces as a an actor with a minor part in The Killing Fields. It kind of all over the place, but his discussions of the war were interesting.... and the story about the bananna sticking to the wall was great too!

Idi i Smotri, "Come and Look" - a Russian film about the partisans and WWII. Very tense movie. You watch this film, and you think, "Okay, now I can see why they did that in Berlin."

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

One of the best war films ever is I think its simply called "Tank" and its about a T-74 ( or something ) in Afganistarn ( spelling??). The commander is a bit of a mentalist, the tank must escape, loads of mujahaddin rebels with rpg's and stuff. Its a bit of a b-movie or fairly low budget, but only following the exploits of one tank enable it to work really well.

Kelly's Heroes when the Tiger blasts open the bank is a wicked scene

Whens the film about the Russian front come out? The one about the duel between a german officer and russian sniper?

Love to see some huge epic with Prv Ryan effects about a tank clash, kursk maybe, anyone from Hollywood out there get cracking

Maximus wrote:

2) Trenches of Hell - Chapter 8 in the Young Indiana Jones series detailing young Indy as a Corporal in the Belgian Army down in the trenches.

Isn't that the episode where Indy rides a Transformer motorcycle that changes model between each scene? And is attacked by a (1916-vintage, IIRC) biplane with seemingly infinite bomb supply?

I was also pretty impressed of the recoilless 75 mm guns. (No, not recoilless in the usual sense but otherwise ordinary fixed-mount guns that just don't have any recoil.)

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horncastle:

One of the best war films ever is I think its simply called "Tank" and its about a T-74 ( or something ) in Afganistarn ( spelling??). The commander is a bit of a mentalist, the tank must escape, loads of mujahaddin rebels with rpg's and stuff. Its a bit of a b-movie or fairly low budget, but only following the exploits of one tank enable it to work really well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your talking about The Beast. The tank get trapped in a dead end valley while being chased by the Afganistan rebels. One of the crew ends up helping the rebels destroy the tank. This is a great flick.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

Maximus wrote:

2) Trenches of Hell - Chapter 8 in the Young Indiana Jones series detailing young Indy as a Corporal in the Belgian Army down in the trenches.

Isn't that the episode where Indy rides a Transformer motorcycle that changes model between each scene? And is attacked by a (1916-vintage, IIRC) biplane with seemingly infinite bomb supply?

I was also pretty impressed of the recoilless 75 mm guns. (No, not recoilless in the usual sense but otherwise ordinary fixed-mount guns that just don't have any recoil.)

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but I know the episode you're talking about. The one you speak of is Chapter 9: Demons of Deception. It's not out on video yet. But I saw it on the USA network in the fall of '99 right before Lucas Arts released the 12 episodes that are out now.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

Maximus wrote:

No, but I know the episode you're talking about. The one you speak of is Chapter 9: Demons of Deception.

OK. It has been several years (actually, at least 5) since the series was shown here and I watched it only now and then. That particular episode is the only one that left a lasting mark on my mind.

- Tommi

Apocalypse Now (not really a war movie, but I still love the scenes of the Cav flying to the sound of Wagner, and the patrol boat stuff.)

The Big Red One (Lee Marvin's last flick, IIRC.)

And the old standby, A Bridge Too Far. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fan:

The Big Red One (Lee Marvin's last flick, IIRC.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, he did Delta Force in '85. BRO was made around '80. But I'm pretty sure he's done more since. I'll look it up later, for now it's chow time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horncastle:

One of the best war films ever is I think its simply called "Tank" and its about a T-74 ( or something ) in Afganistarn ( spelling??).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're definitely talking about "The Beast." "Tank" was a very bad movie with James Garner rumbling around in a restored M4.

I'm a fan of "Firebase Gloria." Different war and all but ya just gotta love R. Lee Ermey.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

You have to add Stalingrad to any list of great war movies. If your looking for a great WWI movie you really need to rent a British film that I saw in Edinburgh, but its recently come out in the states. It has the blond guy from Trainspotting as well as Vincent Price (I think, basicly about Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon (the british wwi poets) and the horrors of war (and shell shock). Very realistic view of the trenches and the effects of a brutal war on a person's mental state. Can anyone remember the name of this movie?

Cmon guys, some Indiana Jones TV series can't count as a war movie, however good the episode!

Incidentally, 'Stalingrad' was also a TV series, but they cut the hell out of it to turn it into a movie as well.

It's from the same people as Das Boot, but the earlier movie suffers less from being chopped about.

Perhaps when a directors cut of Stalingrad is released a fuller story will be told.

Cross of Iron! Cross of Iron!

Beautiful Soviet weapons (including T-34\85 on loan from Yugoslavia and the Ppsh41 sub machine gun) ... great battle scenes, an awesome final scene ... cool opening and ending credits ... great acting (james coburn!)

yes, i love that movie

[This message has been edited by T-34\85 (edited 01-11-2001).]

Don't know if this one was mentioned elsewhere, but The Great Escape with Steve McQueen, James Garner, and Richard Attenborough, is really good. It's a classic WWII POW escape film, based on a true story, with some suprise dramatic twists towards the end.

------------------

War does not determine who is right--only who is left.

--Bertrand Russell

How could I have forgotten "The Young Lions"??? That was an incredible movie.

Damn... I need to watch that tonight now!

BUt if we are going into no-WW II... then I suggest Mjr. Dad episode #1-#45. biggrin.gif

Just kidding... never saw the Young Indiana Jones shows. Found it silly (however) that he seemed to rub elbows with every single important figure from the 30's and 40's. wink.gif

But.. for non WWII...

Lawrence of Arabia is in a class by itself... not only the best war movie ever, but the best movie ever (IMHO).

Steel Helmet... great movie.

The rest on my list are generally WW II movies... so I won't list them here.

Dang... Young Lions... how could I forgett such a fabulous movie?

Joe

PS. Most anticipated??? Band of Brothers!!!!!!!

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

Cameron, Im nt sure if this is the movie you are refering to but another great war movie is one called 'Regeneration'. It's about a hospital in England during WWI that takes in shell shocked individuals and tries to get them well enough to send back to the front. Very well done with some excellent battle scenes.

I also saw a french film about WWI and some crazy guy who storms enemy trenches at night armed with only grenades. I can't remember the name unfortunatly. There is a scene in which a medic is working on a patient while an enemy flame thrower approaches. The patient is pleading with the medic to save himself but the medic refuses. Im hoping that will jog someone's memory. Anyone know what movie I am refering to?