Best War Movies (re-revisited)....

Hi there guys, I know this topic has come up several times before, but the same ol' titles keep coming up, ie. SPR, Stalingrad, Das Boot, etc.

I just thought that there are several more obscure war flicks that are just as good as those.

Some of these flicks are not even WWII, by golly!

Here's a list of some flicks that I think rate right up there.

1) Rough Riders - A TNT Original featuring Teddy Roosevelt's group of Cavalry Infantry in the Spanish-American War of 1898. Great movie, with a lot of raw emotion. It's available on video.

2) Trenches of Hell - Chapter 8 in the Young Indiana Jones series detailing young Indy as a Corporal in the Belgian Army down in the trenches. Includes well done briefings and maps concerning a batte plan to take a chatteu. Features gas attacks, flamethrowers, mortar attacks, etc. Use of CGI in certain scenes.

3) Phantom Train of Doom - Chapter 10 in the Young Indiana Jones series featuring young Indy joining forces with a group of old war veterans into taking out a large railway gun on a train that seems to disappear.

4) Attack of the Hawkmen - Chapter 12 in the Yound Indiana Jones series featuring awesome aerial dogfights using both newly built replicas and CGI for accurate WWI aircraft including Albatroses, Fokker Dr.I, Fokker D.VIII, Neiport 17s, and Two-Seater Reconnaissance planes.

5) Daredevils of the Desert - Chapter 15 of the Young Indiana Jones series detailing the Charge of the Light Brigade on Beersheba that puts an Indy twist to the story. Uses some footage from the original movie. Probably one of the best in the series.

A note about the Young Indiana Jones series:

The series was probably the most under-rated series ever. Excellent historical plots, use of CGI, really smart acting (not Hollywood style), great casting using some of today's well known actors, well placed- thinking-man's humor. Every episode was shot ON LOCATION, not on Hollywood back-lots. Episodes link together, things that happen in earlier episodes are mentioned in later episodes. Really cool, IMHO.

Out of the 22 (2-hour) episodes, 12 have been released on video. The other 10 will be released sometime soon I hope. If you have any interest in history around WWI, then this series is worth watching. The videos are available at Amazon.com for like $13.95 USD each.

OK, so there's my list. Any body know of any other obscure titles and why?

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-10-2001).]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alls quiet on the western front

and one of my favorite world war 1 books

The good soldier Schweikby Jaroslav Hasek..good reading if only i had this book when i was in the army... smile.gif

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flipper:

"when trumpets fade"...the hurtgen forest<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i saw that one about a year a go and thought i was pretty good..

i liked the tie in w/ the begining and the end

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

Gladiator - not really a war movie, but love the opening battle scene.

The Patriot - hey, I liked it.

Legends of the Fall - once again, not a war movie but the war scene is pretty sweet.

The Hunt for Red October + Clear and Present Danger - one more time, not really war movies, but sweet war related stuff non-the-less.

How about a pre-war movie? One of Charlie Chaplain's best, and first (I think) talkie, The Great Dictator. Great spoof on the Germans and Italians. Plus, that speech at the end has been conceded as one of the top 50 moments in movies. Not a whole lot of war action, but it's still a classic.

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

Here's a couple of films for ya...

Japanese movies from the 50's and 60's AND NOT JMSDF or JSDF vs. Godzilla smile.gif

Fires on the Plain - B&W, movie about the Japanese retreat through the Phillipines I believe...a bunch of rag tag soldiers very near the end of the war, suffering with TB and many other diseases, starving (think Donner Party)...Generally depressing...

The Burmese Harp - B&W, also a classic "anti-War" movie...a Japanese Army Unit on retreat through Burma post Imphal Operations...About a guy who gets separated from his unit and gets taken in by Buddhist Monks. He contemplates life (or rather the misery of it) and goes about buring lots of dead Japanese solders...It really is a good movie...check it on http://www.imdb.com

------------------

"Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat"

- Lt. General Renya Mutaguchi, Commanding General, Japanese Fifteenth Army, 1944-1945

Well, Maximus, I'm forced to agree with you here.

I remember seeing an episode of Young Indiana Jones many years ago (Trenches of Hell most likely) and it was as good as you described. Extremely well put together and acted. It had the 'serial-flavour' of Indiana Jones, but the military background was just exceptional.

GAFF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesy:

Here's a couple of films for ya...

Japanese movies from the 50's and 60's AND NOT JMSDF or JSDF vs. Godzilla smile.gif

Fires on the Plain - B&W, movie about the Japanese retreat through the Phillipines I believe...a bunch of rag tag soldiers very near the end of the war, suffering with TB and many other diseases, starving (think Donner Party)...Generally depressing...

The Burmese Harp - B&W, also a classic "anti-War" movie...a Japanese Army Unit on retreat through Burma post Imphal Operations...About a guy who gets separated from his unit and gets taken in by Buddhist Monks. He contemplates life (or rather the misery of it) and goes about buring lots of dead Japanese solders...It really is a good movie...check it on http://www.imdb.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got to give the JSDF credit though; they always came back for more. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfpack:

How about a pre-war movie? One of Charlie Chaplain's best, and first (I think) talkie, The Great Dictator. Great spoof on the Germans and Italians. Plus, that speech at the end has been conceded as one of the top 50 moments in movies. Not a whole lot of war action, but it's still a classic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you go that far back Duck Soup/Marx Brothers is a VERY funny political/military spoof as well.

In response to Hiram Sedai-I'm still waiting for "A 'Very' Brady Holocaust"

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

We've been watch the Horatio Hornblower movies (4 of them) that were on A&E last summer. If you are unfamiliar with them, they deal with the life of a young midshipman during a war (not sure what they called this one) between England and France. We watched them when they were on and my stepson liked them so much we picked them up on dvd. They give you a pretty good feel for the period. I concur on The Beast also. Great flick.

[This message has been edited by Vomitmeister (edited 01-09-2001).]

Well, if we're opening up this discussion to beyond WWII, you can't neglect what was unquestionably the greatest war film of our time...

Stripes

Adam Arabian

---

Sgt. Hulka is our big toe....

[This message has been edited by A Arabian (edited 01-09-2001).]

Guest AbnAirCav

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

"Well, boys, I reckon this is it - newcleer combat toe to toe with the Roosskies." Major T. J. 'King' Kong (Slim Pickens)

Check out "Steel Tempest"

Its a story about a trapped German SS unit taking place about December , 1944.

Special effects aren't to Private Ryan standard but blends rare archive footage. It does shown just what the Germans were suffer through.

I think you can still get it through the History channel or A&E