MOD: SdKfz 7 & variants

Here a little Mod dealing with the SdKfz 7 gun-tractor and the 7/1 and 7/2 flak vehicles.

I've taken the CM originals, put some dirt on it and finally added Fernando's tracks from his HT set. Here's the result:

sdkfz7.jpg

Just a preview at the moment, I'll plan to do the same with the winter variants.

Credits:

Tracks: Fernando Carrera

Vehicle: BTS

AA guns (from german_aa.zip): John S. "Tiger"

Marcus

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: mike8g ]

Well it is an improvement but I had to go look at the original to see much difference. I hope that doesn't sound rude. Just trying to give a honest answer without seeming like a butt. My hat is off to anybody who can do something like that and you are included. I personaly was hoping for a different color or something that wouldn't make you go look at the original to see the difference. I sure hope you take this in the way it was intended. Oh yeah no decal's either? :D

What's with the panzer gray? Too many ahistorical movies and games like "Panzer General". Why can't you appreciate the artistry of late war german camo and the mod makers who try to reproduce it. If you have a thing for menacing gray you can look forward to "Return to Wolfenstein" or something.

Hey Mike8g I just played a game after posting my message above and I guess since I was just talking about them I used one ( actually two ) of the SdKfz7's and I want to take back what I said about the comparison between yours and the original. No comparison. Your's is far better with much more detail. I guess that's what you ( Me ) get for being in a hurry. Foot doesn't taste that good either, by the way. :D So I'm a dumb ass. But decal's are good on any and everything if you don't know. Just a hint. Please do let us know when your's is finished I would love to have it. Sincerely.

lcm1947, don't worry, this mod is just the result from a few hours work and is some kind of a first approach. There are many things to improve, like decals and camo schemes fitting the AA guns. I'll put further work into it this weekend.

Panzer Leader: yes, Magua's buildings in Gunslingers subdued terrain.

Marcus

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: mike8g ]

Well, for early CM2 settings, you can bet Panzer Grey will be common place.

Personally, German camo looks great compared to any Allied camo attempts in WWII. My favorite is the late war Panzer ambush scheme and camouflage uniforms that even the infantry get.

It's just that Allied equipment IMO have boring color schemes, offset by the occasional accessory/emblems. This isn't to take away from the work of our MOD'ers though, it's just that with the Germans there's so many more possibilities in color/camouflage schemes (part of the reason why they're so popular with modellers). Once you've seen a single green Sherman, you've seen them all...

Okay guys,

the first one (SdKfz 7 gun tractor) is ready:

BTS original:

s7old.jpg

improved version:

s7new.jpg

(Fully HiRes - size 954 kB) **updated to version 1.1**

Get it here: http://www.geocities.com/mike8g/sdkfz7.zip

Important: You MUST cut & paste (or type) the URL into a new browser window, Geocities does not allow a direct link to it.

Credits for this one:

Vehicle textures: BTS

Tracks & decals: Fernando Carrera

Marcus

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: mike8g ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by highlife:

What's with the panzer gray? Too many ahistorical movies and games like "Panzer General". Why can't you appreciate the artistry of late war german camo and the mod makers who try to reproduce it. If you have a thing for menacing gray you can look forward to "Return to Wolfenstein" or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you think every softskin vehicle was repainted ordnance tan? Why would they bother? Factories may have painted in dark yellow from 1943, but I doubt they retro painted every truck, jeep and motorcycle.

Not to mention panzer grey has better camouflage properties. Our re-enactment group operated a Ford Maultier and a Borgword personnel carrier, both in panzer grey. It wasn't hard to hide them. On the other hand, bright yellow vehicles would tend to stick out a lot more.

Try this in CM, its even true in our pixelated little worlds....

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I agree about the visibility advantages of dark gray but as far as I know every military use vehicle was eventually painted dunkelgelb (dark yellow). There were even orders forbidding use of remaining panzer gray stockpiles. In the "World War II in Color" documentary there is footage of resistance fighters riding a captured german staff car painted in two color camo somewhere in southern France.

Unfortunately, the only color movie or stills I have seen of german vehicles are all early war.

Well, while looking at the contrasts to these new SdKfz vehicles and Tiger's Axis guns, is anyone in work on hi-res Axis artillery? The Allies have a very nice texture set (nice work on that!) that makes my German gunners envious...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

The Allies have a very nice texture set (nice work on that!) that makes my German gunners envious...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you're referring to Mike Duplesis's Allied Guns. I'm hoping he's working on a German set. You out there Mike D?

As for gray SdKfz7, if you want a gray set send me an e-mail. Lo-Res but akin to my other available at Mojo's.

Good work Mike. I like it.