SOT: 8 year old suspended for drawing soldier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Save us from the 8 year old boys, lol.

Mine once got in trouble for drawing a bunch of guys with bloody swords... as well as people getting sucked up in tornadoes. That was second grade. Me and the Mrs. had to really bite our tongues 'til we got out of there. Then we laughed and laughed. Had to explain that sometimes some people do not want to see somethings... he had a hard time understanding that one for a while. Poor guy, guess I do too.

My boy's favorite battle is Bridgehead at Benicourt, and he has come close to winning it a few times. We also play Battle Cry - a Civil War boardgame that is really fun to play. You dads out there? Get Battle Cry to play with your kids when CM is a little too much still.

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Save us from the 8 year old boys, lol.

Mine once got in trouble for drawing a bunch of guys with bloody swords... as well as people getting sucked up in tornadoes. That was second grade. Me and the Mrs. had to really bite our tongues 'til we got out of there. Then we laughed and laughed. Had to explain that sometimes some people do not want to see somethings... he had a hard time understanding that one for a while. Poor guy, guess I do too.

My boy's favorite battle is Bridgehead at Benicourt, and he has come close to winning it a few times. We also play Battle Cry - a Civil War boardgame that is really fun to play. You dads out there? Get Battle Cry to play with your kids when CM is a little too much still.

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

This is so absurd it's funny! Good thing I'm no longer in the public school system. My drawings used to show raging battles with dive bombers, tanks, grenades, and various ground pounders' asundry body parts getting blown to the nethregions ! The article sums up nicely the entire problem with the fascist liberal gun mentality. It's the guns that are bad?? Rubbish. It's the amoral, dysfunctional families that are contributing to our current national plight.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bigmac@work (edited 03-24-2001).]

This is so absurd it's funny! Good thing I'm no longer in the public school system. My drawings used to show raging battles with dive bombers, tanks, grenades, and various ground pounders' asundry body parts getting blown to the nethregions ! The article sums up nicely the entire problem with the fascist liberal gun mentality. It's the guns that are bad?? Rubbish. It's the amoral, dysfunctional families that are contributing to our current national plight.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bigmac@work (edited 03-24-2001).]

An understandable over-reaction considering the recent school violence incidents, but an over-reaction nevertheless. I think you'll see quite a few of these over-reactions for at least the next several months (though they may most likely not make the news like this incident).

Considering some of the recent shooting incidents at schools, it's becoming a bit of a mystery as to how to identify a potentially violent student. Without creating some sort of oppressive atmosphere, most administrators would not be able to identify the student who may go berserk one day, since being a victim or other anti-social behavior isn't an absolute identifier. Even young grade schoolers have been guilty of bringing weapons to school. Hard to fathom exactly why a young child should feel the need or be oppressed enough to commit a horrendous act of violence (American television aside).

It's unfortunate that these kids cannot experience childhood in a somewhat innocent manner anymore. I'm awaiting the day that public schools start to have mandatory psychological counseling for every child at certain stages of "development" - just like standardized tests administered in most public schools (nothing absolutely wrong with that - just paranoid however).

An understandable over-reaction considering the recent school violence incidents, but an over-reaction nevertheless. I think you'll see quite a few of these over-reactions for at least the next several months (though they may most likely not make the news like this incident).

Considering some of the recent shooting incidents at schools, it's becoming a bit of a mystery as to how to identify a potentially violent student. Without creating some sort of oppressive atmosphere, most administrators would not be able to identify the student who may go berserk one day, since being a victim or other anti-social behavior isn't an absolute identifier. Even young grade schoolers have been guilty of bringing weapons to school. Hard to fathom exactly why a young child should feel the need or be oppressed enough to commit a horrendous act of violence (American television aside).

It's unfortunate that these kids cannot experience childhood in a somewhat innocent manner anymore. I'm awaiting the day that public schools start to have mandatory psychological counseling for every child at certain stages of "development" - just like standardized tests administered in most public schools (nothing absolutely wrong with that - just paranoid however).

I remember being very young and all the fuss was about the waste of money on the moon shots.

Anyway, during science class the teacher encouraged questions about what we would like to ask about the astronauts lives in space and what they needed to bring along.

My arm shot up and I almost blew out of my seat when I asked about:

"What kind of weapons are they bringing along?"

After that, I remember speaking to some creepy guy with a beard and he wrote down notes and looked at me quizically. He asked me how I felt about my mother but I just told him about my theorys about dinosaurs that used to wear armored clothing. Man, I was so ahead of the times. Could this have been the emergence of me as a weapons genius? I think it was...

I remember being very young and all the fuss was about the waste of money on the moon shots.

Anyway, during science class the teacher encouraged questions about what we would like to ask about the astronauts lives in space and what they needed to bring along.

My arm shot up and I almost blew out of my seat when I asked about:

"What kind of weapons are they bringing along?"

After that, I remember speaking to some creepy guy with a beard and he wrote down notes and looked at me quizically. He asked me how I felt about my mother but I just told him about my theorys about dinosaurs that used to wear armored clothing. Man, I was so ahead of the times. Could this have been the emergence of me as a weapons genius? I think it was...

really? Thats funny. Speaking of Flipper, I used to draw pictures of dolphins wearing stahlhelms and throwing potato masher hand grenades with their tales.

Huge ocean going squids were always hirohito looking bastards but whales looked like battle ships with turrets sticking out the top sideways.

A normal childhood. But I wish it would end sometime..

really? Thats funny. Speaking of Flipper, I used to draw pictures of dolphins wearing stahlhelms and throwing potato masher hand grenades with their tales.

Huge ocean going squids were always hirohito looking bastards but whales looked like battle ships with turrets sticking out the top sideways.

A normal childhood. But I wish it would end sometime..

Never mind guns, in my early years at school I filled sheets of paper with my "Death Zones". I used striped computer paper, and I would divide it up into levels and show guys entering from the top left, moving down the levels and being shot, crushed, minced, dismembered, eaten, drowned and otherwise left slightly worse off from when they started. Never got into trouble for that... although throughout school all I ever did was draw, so my teachers were a bit frustrated through my lack of application if not through my apparent mental distortion.

Never mind guns, in my early years at school I filled sheets of paper with my "Death Zones". I used striped computer paper, and I would divide it up into levels and show guys entering from the top left, moving down the levels and being shot, crushed, minced, dismembered, eaten, drowned and otherwise left slightly worse off from when they started. Never got into trouble for that... although throughout school all I ever did was draw, so my teachers were a bit frustrated through my lack of application if not through my apparent mental distortion.