SOT: 8 year old suspended for drawing soldier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Redcoat:

It does sound silly and is laughable, but when you think about it those teachers have every right to be paranoid. How many school shootings has there been in the U.S.A in recent memory?

According to the FBI, 20% less than 30 years ago when I started grade school... Of course some stat I read somewhere (but cannot attribute so take with the suspicion it deserves) said that coverage of such shootings have risen almost 800%.

Anyway, I would not have been popular as the kid next to me and I used to fight wars during at least 2nd - 4th grades by drawing up armies on a piece of paper and then fighting it out by putting out pencils striaght down on the paper over one of our soldiers and then presing down in such a way as to make a pencil streak in a particular direction. WHere these "shots" crossed an 'enemy' soldier that soldier was crossed out (or, if we said it was a move, where out boy eneded up). Learned alot about concentration of firepower... we never thought of putting up blocking terrain... I'll have to teach that to my kids.

And here I am a 35 year old who has never owned a gun (not that there's anyhitng wrong with that to my gun owning friends who have gven me countless hours of fun fireing AR-15's, AK's UZI's and assorted handguns amd shotguns... but my point is that plahing doens't mean translating to action or even pwnership of firearms) and never really thought about it... but I swear if my kids ever get that kind of crap I'll be calling on the nra AND the aclu for help. I'm rambleing, I know, but I've been having beers while fighting an 11,000 point defense scenario.

Originally posted by Redcoat:

It does sound silly and is laughable, but when you think about it those teachers have every right to be paranoid. How many school shootings has there been in the U.S.A in recent memory?

According to the FBI, 20% less than 30 years ago when I started grade school... Of course some stat I read somewhere (but cannot attribute so take with the suspicion it deserves) said that coverage of such shootings have risen almost 800%.

Anyway, I would not have been popular as the kid next to me and I used to fight wars during at least 2nd - 4th grades by drawing up armies on a piece of paper and then fighting it out by putting out pencils striaght down on the paper over one of our soldiers and then presing down in such a way as to make a pencil streak in a particular direction. WHere these "shots" crossed an 'enemy' soldier that soldier was crossed out (or, if we said it was a move, where out boy eneded up). Learned alot about concentration of firepower... we never thought of putting up blocking terrain... I'll have to teach that to my kids.

And here I am a 35 year old who has never owned a gun (not that there's anyhitng wrong with that to my gun owning friends who have gven me countless hours of fun fireing AR-15's, AK's UZI's and assorted handguns amd shotguns... but my point is that plahing doens't mean translating to action or even pwnership of firearms) and never really thought about it... but I swear if my kids ever get that kind of crap I'll be calling on the nra AND the aclu for help. I'm rambleing, I know, but I've been having beers while fighting an 11,000 point defense scenario.

Originally posted by Mirage2k:

I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, what the heck are you babbling about, Mlapanzer?

-Andrew

What I am "babbling" about is.I am tired of people blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. Blaming schools and bullies for school shooting when they don't even know what there kids are doing or watching. Blaming people who play "wargames" for violence. Blaming gun owners for the nuts who shoot up schools. Cowards who expect a cop to lay his life on the line for them for $25,000 a year but will not take the resposibility to defend themseves let alone others. Cowards who like, no love the freedom they have in this country but don't respect the sacrifices made by others to give it to them. If thats NOT clear enough I can go on.

Originally posted by Mirage2k:

I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, what the heck are you babbling about, Mlapanzer?

-Andrew

What I am "babbling" about is.I am tired of people blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. Blaming schools and bullies for school shooting when they don't even know what there kids are doing or watching. Blaming people who play "wargames" for violence. Blaming gun owners for the nuts who shoot up schools. Cowards who expect a cop to lay his life on the line for them for $25,000 a year but will not take the resposibility to defend themseves let alone others. Cowards who like, no love the freedom they have in this country but don't respect the sacrifices made by others to give it to them. If thats NOT clear enough I can go on.

Guest Mirage2k

I know, and it wasn't even their best album! smile.gif

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

Guest Mirage2k

I know, and it wasn't even their best album! smile.gif

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

Originally posted by Crank_GS:

We also play Battle Cry - a Civil War boardgame that is really fun to play. You dads out there? Get Battle Cry to play with your kids when CM is a little too much still.

Battle Cry ROCKS!!!! Too bad my 2 year old daughter isn't old enough yet smile.gif I'll just have to work harder at turning her into a Gamer Girl......

Originally posted by Crank_GS:

We also play Battle Cry - a Civil War boardgame that is really fun to play. You dads out there? Get Battle Cry to play with your kids when CM is a little too much still.

Battle Cry ROCKS!!!! Too bad my 2 year old daughter isn't old enough yet smile.gif I'll just have to work harder at turning her into a Gamer Girl......

YEEE HAAAWWWWW let's go to War!!!!

Oops,jumping the gun is quess, i always confuse these difference's of obinion with a

call to arms : )-

When I was in grade 4, I drew bunnies with

nazi uniforms killing people smile.gif NOw i don't

know how healthy that was. But I'm much better now.... Oh my 2 cents worth is, if you

believe fox or any of your other major networks as the total truth.........

YEEE HAAAWWWWW let's go to War!!!!

Oops,jumping the gun is quess, i always confuse these difference's of obinion with a

call to arms : )-

When I was in grade 4, I drew bunnies with

nazi uniforms killing people smile.gif NOw i don't

know how healthy that was. But I'm much better now.... Oh my 2 cents worth is, if you

believe fox or any of your other major networks as the total truth.........

Originally posted by Speedy:

I was wondering what organised religion or the lack thereof has to do with a bunch of drongo schoolkids shooting each other.

Man you guys crack me up. You see a simple word like church and you go off the deep end. When i say church I also mean synagogue, mosque,Temple, ... I do believe that the teaching of right and wrong by the various religions makes a big difference in society. The hedonistic teachings of modern liberalism and the lack of right and wrong have brought about the madness that we see today. A society when we blame an inanimate object for the lack of resposibility of individuals.

Originally posted by Speedy:

I was wondering what organised religion or the lack thereof has to do with a bunch of drongo schoolkids shooting each other.

Man you guys crack me up. You see a simple word like church and you go off the deep end. When i say church I also mean synagogue, mosque,Temple, ... I do believe that the teaching of right and wrong by the various religions makes a big difference in society. The hedonistic teachings of modern liberalism and the lack of right and wrong have brought about the madness that we see today. A society when we blame an inanimate object for the lack of resposibility of individuals.