The Jagdpanther is a superweapon !

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Jagdpanthers are great TD's but...

at 198pts, they are too pricey, with the "overkill" 1018 m/s 88mm gun.

I prefer a JpzIV (not the IV/70), priced to a more reasonable 120pts with the more than adequate 790 m/s 75mm gun. Screw the opponent who has a tank that can pop 60mm of armor at 55degrees. Besides, you'll have the 78pts saved to counter that anyway. The JpzIV has basically the same HE, AP, and MG ammoload as a JpzV, though its a bit slower: 24mph vs. 29mph.

Besides, the JpzV will be just as dead if you expose a flank.

Don't get me wrong though, outside of 'cherry picking'...the Jagdpanther can't be beat...I envy Tread Head and his remote-controlled JpzV childhood memories.

Here kitty kitty....*nasty kitty!*

J-Panther:

nulljgvab.jpg

JagdpanzerIV:

pzjag48.jpg

edited for growing pains w/ inserting images.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Silvio,

I believe in your efforts to make your points

you got your measurements confused. You wrote "fps" where you need "m/s." That's a factor of three difference in muzzle velocity.

Regards, John Kettler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woops. 'Twas my overachieving 'grog' attempt at quoting specs. Kinda thought I had the fps-m/s wrong.

I've edited the original to save our brethren from my technical confusion.

Thankya,

Kevin

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Just one thing between the 88mm gunned Jagdpanther and the 75mm gunned JgPzIV/PzIV70. The Jagdpanther still retains the oustanding blast value of the '88. Value's at 40-50 IIRC versus the mid 30 value of the 75mm guns. Infantry killer for sure albeit at a slower ROF. But a killer nonetheless...

While PzIV/70 or Panther are just about able to kill a Jumbo or a heavy Churchill frontally, they need a good 0° hit. In case of Jumbo, only turret can be penetrated. Meanwhile, a Jagdpanther can do the deed with an angled shot.

Plain Panther is also highly vulnerable to Churchill VIII's hollow charges.

If I remember rightly, the ground pressure from an average person's weight is 7 psi (please correct me if I'm wrong) so the tanks with 13 and 14 psi would be the equivalent of a 22 stone soldier with size 9 shoes walking across a muddy field (ish).

Would appreciate more info from someone who knows more than me (not difficult).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

The world at large doesn't know how much a 'stone' is supposed to be. (not to mention local shoe sizes). What's that in kilos, or at least pounds? thx,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

139.71kg (@6.35kg/stone)

308 pounds (@2.2 pounds/kg)

Some comments on previous posts:

1. JgPz IV 75L48 fires at 750 m/s, only the 75L46 anti-tank gun fired at 790 m/s.

2. How does Churchill 95mm HEAT destroy Panthers with frontal hits, it seems that one would have to hit the turret or lower front hull. British penetration data indicates 127mm at 0°, Panther glacis (80 @ 55°) equals 139 @ 0° against HEAT.

Panther nose armor is only 105 @ 0° against HEAT.

3. Band of Brothers had a Jagdpanther attack the paratroopers in conjunction with StuG III and German para's, and as soon as the 75mm armed Shermans broke through the woods and starting lobbing HE the Jagdpanther seemed to back up and run for safety. Can't remember if any Shermans felt the bite of the 88L71 before the Germans ran back to their starting point.

One would think that as soon as a Sherman was blown away by a blistering 88L71 round, or the Americans realized what was facing them, they would have bailed.

I guess momentum and the threat of envelopment convinced the Jagdpanther crew and the rest of the German force to retreat.

80mm @ 55° armor resists 90mm HVAP like a 278mm thick vertical plate. Based on U.S. data 90mm HVAP penetrates 278mm of vertical plate at 500m.

90mm APCBC from M36 or Pershing is useless against 80mm at 55°, even if plate is flawed.

Jagdpanther should be more resistant than a Panther to frontal attacks by Pershings and M36's, due to absence of relatively weak mantlet and turret front.

Pershing glacis is 102mm cast at 46°, so it resists 88L71 like 180mm of rolled vertical plate (my figure includes cast deficiency to rolled armor, something CM may not consider). 88L71 APCBC pierces 180mm vertical rolled plate at 1850m.

Pershing also has 102mm cast at 20° at top center of glacis, REALLY VULNERABLE!

The figures you gentlemen post for the accuracy of the StuK 43 as mounted in the Jagdpanther somehow just do not seem right. The Jagdpanther in CM seems to have the same accuracy as the 88/L71 mounted on other German vehicles (been playing CM since release). What puzzles me is why isn't the excellent WZF 1/4 (10x) sight modelled? If I recall correctly only the early SDKfz 173 carried the SflZF5 (3x)optics.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abteilung:

The figures you gentlemen post for the accuracy of the StuK 43 as mounted in the Jagdpanther somehow just do not seem right. The Jagdpanther in CM seems to have the same accuracy as the 88/L71 mounted on other German vehicles (been playing CM since release). What puzzles me is why isn't the excellent WZF 1/4 (10x) sight modelled? If I recall correctly only the early SDKfz 173 carried the SflZF5 (3x)optics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, no, not the optics debate again. Two threads currently runnign cover it.

In short the superiour optics are not modeld and especially the range finder would only be useful in a prepared defensive position.