Penetration without effect...

Anyone feel that tank penetration with Schrecks, PIAT and Bazooka rendering no effect has increased with the last patch? :eek:

It has occured at least once in the majority of the games I have played. Target distance has been between 50-150 m.

I strongly feel that this occurance has increased with the latest patch - do you? :confused:

I've not noticed this but then again I can't recall the last time any of my shoulder AT guns hit a tank - either side. It's extremely hard to get close enough as it is without having to worry about that kind of thing. I'll run a test and see. :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

The thread title reminds me of a date I went on years ago. Mad Dog 20/20 was flowing freely and the sultry tones of Meatloaf was in the air.

Oh, don't mind me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was you? :eek:

Guest Babra

It was a hot summer night and the beach was burnin'

There was grogs crawlin' over the sand...

Funny you bring that up. Today in an IP game a cromwell came upto the flag in the last turn and it was penetrated from the side by a Faust. It just said side penetration but nothing else happened.

Then a SS rifle squad and its platoon leader shot thier faust at once and blew the hell out of the cromwell smile.gif Spectacular explosion. First time I have ever actually seen fausts in action!

Gen

I don't know, I've come to respect Piats more lately. They seem to be more accurate than 'Zooks and seem to always knock out the vehicles.

I played Cambois the other day and had several Piat kills against PzIVs and StuGs which were at least 100m or better away.

Originally posted by Maximus:

[QB]I don't know, I've come to respect Piats more lately. They seem to be more accurate than 'Zooks and seem to always knock out the vehicles.

Have you tried playing the "Red Devils at Arnhem? You get to use piats, satchel charges, handgrenades and a flamethrower.

:D

In one of my PBEM's I had my baz team hit a STUG point blank, I'm talking grenade range, and got a "track hit" with no damage at all, the STUG kept going. I did not help that it was the baz team's last round either and I had gone thru considerable effort to get that AT team behind the enemy lines like that.

Oh well.

Gyrene

Keep in mind that the range has nothing to do with whether a penetration will kill or not since we are not talking about a weapon that relies upon kinetic energy to penetrate.

AFAIK, the chance of whether or not a weapon that penetrates a vehicle kills it is based upon the caliber of the projectile; the larger the higher the likelyhood of a kill. The Bazooka is 60mm, the Piat is 77mm, and the Shreck is 88mm.

I once did an extensive test where I hit some tanks with over 200 Bazooka rounds to test the effectiveness of skirts. I was only keeping track of the number of penetrations, not the number of kills, but I would guess that about 25-30% of the Zooks penetrations did not kill the vehicle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Yes, we know. You sprain your wrist!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww, Mikeybikey would never do a thing like that.

He has a melon with a hole cut in it...a very small hole, you see.

:D

Michael

Regarding probability of kill and projectile size...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

AFAIK, the chance of whether or not a weapon that penetrates a vehicle kills it is based upon the caliber of the projectile; the larger the higher the likelyhood of a kill. The Bazooka is 60mm, the Piat is 77mm, and the Shreck is 88mm.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...isn't there some relationship to the effectiveness of the shaped charge warhead? I understand the PIAT charge was perhaps less effective against armor than the bazooka. Anyone have more info?

Howitzer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howitzer:

I understand the PIAT charge was perhaps less effective against armor than the bazooka. Anyone have more info?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard the opposite, which would be consistent with my general understanding that all other things being equal, the power of the charge is proportional to the square of it's diameter. But I admit that I don't have any hard figures to hand.

Michael