Terrain realism vs playability

I'm one of those guys who insists that my CM battlefield look as realistic as I can make it. At the same time, I need clear elevation and terrain differentiation. With that in mind, for some time I've been working on the "ultimate" compromise terrain for CMBO. The snap below is one of several you can see at my photo site: http://photos.lycos.com/PhotoCShare/PhotoAlbum.asp?CG=rlqjer622dt4rf9pb7c82bon4s&AID=239707

(how's that for a mouthful?) smile.gif

And here's one for this thread:

GG%202.jpg

If you like the terrain enough, I'll try to find a site to host it.

BTW, some trees, buildings, rough and road tiles are Magua's, while the bush is a reworked JuJu mod...thanks to you all!

Beauiful! Nice job guy. They look like you took them with a 35mm camera. I really like the growth under the trees. Very nice. I couldn't really tell about the differences in elevation from these pictures but you state that that is one of your goals. I too have problems when it's hard to tell the different elevations so that is a big concern of mine plus having only a 450 HZ processor the hit on the speed if hi-res. Is this hi-res and slow me down a lot? If not I would surely like to use it. smile.gif

Absolutely stunning!

I must get on my bent knee and beg for the files needed to pull this off on my machine (Windows 98 with Nvidia TNT2).

Please, please, pretty please, let me know how I can get this.

Email me either the files or the download location.

This is mutha beautiful terrain, and I have to have it.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Any chance of making a slightly lightened version? The textures look great, but to me (and obviously this is a purely subjective opinion) the whole scene looks like I'm looking at the world through sunglasses smile.gif

Ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try adjusting your video card's Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma settings. I've got all three set just above middle and it brightens up the screen quite nicely.

WOW, what a nice bunch of comments! I appreciate them muchly. :D

As to the sources: Magua's trees, buildings, rough, road (straight part); the bush is a highly evolved mod of JuJu's original gem.

What's original (i.e. new and unique to this set) is the tree bases, marsh, water, grass, hedge and the brush (given that the brush is highly modded from JuJu's).

Thanks very much to Magua and JuJu for the inspiration and creative genius!

As to performance: I'm using a 1GHz P-III, 256mb RAM, 32mb Matrox G-400 Max card. I not too long ago ran this from a 400MHz P-II (with the same combination) and it was very adequate. Main difference in the faster processor is in the game turn resolution. Video frame rate is a bit better and movement around the battlefield between turns is a bit smoother...not a revolutionary difference, though, between the processors (surprisingly...sniff, sniff...).

I ask that you guys go to my web site again soon. Witnin a few days you'll see more screen snaps under different conditions (with trees, without, maximum terrain differentiation, level-1 and -4 without zoom, etc.

Will it work on a Mac? I don't really know. I used to be exclusively a Mac guy but migrated to PC's when Harpoon came out and haven't looked back since. Are the BMP files exchangeable normally? If so, I see no problem. I could also convert to .jpg if someone wanted that as an intermediate step, but it would take some time.

Tom of Tom's Combat HQ has graciously offered to host this, but his 2MB file upload limit may pose a problem...I'm looking into the hosting and haven't decided where yet, so be patient please. I'll post news when I have them.

Thanks again for making my day, guys...I'll make these available ASAP! :D:D:D

It should work fine on the Mac, but get the CM Mac Mod Manager from CMHQ to convert the BMPs into resources.

Maximus, I did play around with my gamma settings and what not, but it just made it a bit more washed out.

I think I just must have totally different taste then everyone else smile.gif I'm still using the old Velvet Grass. I've yet to find anything I like better. Unfortunately, I have absolutly no artistic ability to make my own. So I just have to keep hoping that someone will make one more along my ally.

Again, Gonnergoz, I just want to reitterate that it's very impressive work though!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Ben Galani, I have to ask...

With a member number of #38, are you by chance GOD? :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if I hadn't have lost my original log-in name I would probably be down in the #100's myself. My original name was "Wehrmacht", but it was lost just a couple weeks later in a server crash in Jan. 2000. Then my second "Ol' Blood & Guts" was lost during the "Refreshing Monkey" server crash in May 2000 during the Gold Demo release.