Tournament for Newbies

I am wondering what the interest level is for particpation in a tournament for newbies? As it is probably pretty high, would you also provide a description of what you consider a newbie to be? Is it the number of battles you have fought or how long you have had the game? Maybe it is just the description of your own playing level? Let me know what you think.

One candidate for rating player strength would call a beginner/weak player anyone who thinks playing the AI in normal scenarios or QBs presents a challenge.

A middle strength player consistently beats the AI and does all right against humans.

A strong player consistently beats other humans, and does all right against other strong players.

Just an idea. fwiw.

ive had the game since may, but have played a lot of games both vs the AI and humman opponets. i would like to see a tourney for 'medium' skilled players. it seems like the tourneys right now are filled (for the most part) by those who have been playing the game for over a year.

great idea though, and i would be interested to see a 'medium' tourney!

I think I could describe myself as medium skilled. I'm currently in the Rumblings of War tourney, which began in September, but hadn't played any human opponents before I applied for that. I think I've completed about 6-8 PBEMs so far and have another 6-8 in progress, some in, some out of the tourney. I haven't exactly being laying waste to all my opponents so far, though I've squeaked out a couple of victories. Definitely have something to learn about play against humans.

I'd be happy to play in a very informal tourney--doesn't have to be as highly organized as Rumblings of War.

I'm a medium level opponent and game for this tourney! I just enjoy playing win or lose; although, I much prefer the latter! Never have played a PBEM, usually TCP with my bestest buddy, but I'm always interested in meeting new players. My email address is: Seamus660@AOL.com for anyone interested in TCP most evenings EST, or PBEM. I think a tourney would be fun. I played in only one East Front tourney and got creamed in the the first game- so much for that!

Maybe it should just be an "open" tournament and you would have to declare your preferred "level" (e.g. Beginner, Medium, Experienced) when you sign up. I have noticed that most tournaments have a fixed number of participants and it seems like a lot of people would like to participate. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts in regards to this.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I have played Abbott and Kiwi Joe and I KNOW they are NOT newbies <hr></blockquote>

What's Abbott been up to? I've haven't seem him around in a while.

Newbie is hard to define, I don't know if member numbers would be a good indicator

Gyrene

i like the idea of stating what level we feel we play at, into maybe: newbie, beginner, experienced. then those who lose out of the higher level could play the winners from the one below. and the lowest level players who loose could continue to play each other in that level. i would be VERY interested in playing in a tournament.

I'm no newbie, but I suck. Does that count?

What I would like to see is a tourney with an umpire to handle the turns - not only would that cut down on the idiotic trash talking (not that I've seen a lot of that, but still...) but also if the ump was an experienced player himself, he could give detailed notes after the conclusion of play as to what each side did right/wrong and how that player could improve. That would be a much bigger help than simply getting your teeth kicked in (as I am getting mine kicked in in the Invitational Tourney).

Just a thought.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> By Stoffel:you beat me twice allready and maybe now for the third time

And look at my member number <hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah, you're such a pushover ;)

If I remember correctly I barely beat you in those 2 games, couldn't get much closer to a draw.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'm no newbie, but I suck. Does that count?

<hr></blockquote>

...suck is such a subjective word...

How about the following categories?

Conscript, Green, Regular, Veteran, Crack and Elite? You could be matched up with a player who feels they are the same level that you are at.

Of the current players who are participating in one of the ongoing tournaments - do you have any suggestions (based on your experience) as to what would be fun and doable?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Commander:

...suck is such a subjective word...

How about the following categories?

Conscript, Green, Regular, Veteran, Crack and Elite? You could be matched up with a player who feels they are the same level that you are at.

Of the current players who are participating in one of the ongoing tournaments - do you have any suggestions (based on your experience) as to what would be fun and doable?<hr></blockquote>

I think one needs to distinguish between historical players and gamey players. I am all for the idea of forces being generated either randomly, or by a game-master. I made the mistake of joining a tourney with very talented, but very gamey-thinking, players. That's not an insult in any way, and I suspect some players withdrew from the tourney because of the emphasis of some on gameplay rather than historicity.

Specifically, I am talking about things like buying several artillery FOs to suit the terrain you are playing on, etc. Again, I got handed my ass recently on the order of 97 to 3 because I didn't properly purchase forces, or use the ones I did purchase. My opponent expertly shelled me for 20 turns and walked in suffering less than 10 killed, and only a dozen more or so wounded, wiping out the better part of a battalion of paratroopers in the process. Again, my fault

But I did notice I did better against opponents with slightly more conventional force makeups, and even won against one player despite his collection of flamethrowing Hetzers (my .50 calibre MGs on my halftracks dealth with these nicely) and did respectably against one of the early CM playtesters, because his style of force purchase was also more historical.

Anyway, that is just one idea, and it sounds too much like me making excuses - I'm not, and my opponents beat me fair and square. I have an intersting email from Gyrene and it sounds like he has some great ideas, so I'm off to reply, and hopefully generate some more ideas for all of us to discuss.

MAD

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]</p>

I can beat the snot out of the AI on a regular basis, but I have only played 2 PBEM games, one that I lost and another that never got a turn sent back to me. Ive been playing since August, and I would like to get into a tourney. All the other ones seem 'clique-ish' and that doesnt appeal to me much, so Id love to get in one just starting. Count me in!

I like the idea of a Tourney Master as well, to keep track, moderate(if needed) and choose scenarios/forces. Im down to play in a new Tourney, but we must decide one thing, a name!

Anyone have a good idea for a name?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I can beat the snot out of the AI on a regular basis, but I have only played 2 PBEM games, one that I lost and another that never got a turn sent back to me. Ive been playing since August, and I would like to get into a tourney. All the other ones seem 'clique-ish' and that doesnt appeal to me much, so Id love to get in one just starting. Count me in! <hr></blockquote>

You ought to come and have a go in the Dorosh scrap on the general forum (aswell as this one). We're less cliquey than a small box of paperclips and we need some new players because Terence, Dorosh and Captain Wacky are talentless gimps.