O/T - List of War movies for this year!

Guest blitz

Originally posted by Loki:

Thats a long list. Too bad only 1 is on the east front, and fewer still are "true war" movies.

Why do we need romance in a war film????

Cause some people like girls?

Perhaps the movie with the romance and war in it is a romance movie - not a war movie. I suspect Pearl Harbor will be like that. Bound to be some disappointed grogs out there because of that one....

According to IMDB:

It got a pretty good rating.

One of the reviewers (very young):

(zeke144@yahoo.com)

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date: 28 May 2000

Summary: I was running away from the German shells, in the forest

My great uncle John said "Saving Private Ryan, was like it. It could not get any closer. That was war." But after he saw When Trumpets Fade, he said that, that was it. That was how people were. Making deals to get out, smoking to get warm, freezing up, and attacking your own side. Getting separated is not like drowning, it is like you have already drowned, when your enemy walks by. The movie portrays a Platoon of American Soldiers, in the 28th Infantry Division, in the battle of Hurgton Forrest, in a bit past mid 1944, a short time after Paris was liberated by the allies. This is so real, I was running away from the German shells, in the forest. It is not 100% visually real, in a gory way, but the feel is that you are there. I have seen all of the war movies out there, and this is the best ever. Just thinking about it, makes me want to see it again, and go on a journey, into the unknown. The quote on the box is the tone of war... "Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when the cannons roar, WHEN TRUMPETS FADE" This is breathtaking, if you have it in your mind when you think about it, or have it in your mind watching hte movie, and that the fact that you see it all so clearly, of how it all relates up to how the movie is.

Michael Bettiol Age 12 Vancouver, British Columbia CANADA

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Lanzfeld,

That movie left me with very mixed feelings.

Sure the cold and the mud and the thick forest is there, and so are the disillusioned, frightened and bewildered soldiers. Just like it was in Hürtgen Wald back then.

However, it just didn’t happen like that.

History aside though, it can be argued that this is more of a drama than a documentary and that the events that take place in it are open to "artistic" interpretation.

In my opinion the problem with this particular movie is that the scenario that is supposed to "paint the picture" for this drama is at times ludicrous.

If you know what really happened or generally react negatively to obviously Holywoodesque military behaviour in a supposedly serious movie you could well get quite disappointed with it.

On the other hand if you concentrate solely on the drama taking place inside the men, to the point where it doesn’t really matter how the actors act or the story goes, then you might get something out of it. I imagine a veteran seeing it might be affected in this way.

Finally, as a WWII action flick its ground to dust by movies like SPR or Stalingrad.

All subjective of course...

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 02-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 02-01-2001).]

When Trumpet's Fade is a must see if you're into this type of WWII thing. Why? I mean, it's just a movie rental, worst case scenario, you're out of 3.99 or whatever, right?

It's not the best by far, and you can tell it's an HBO movie and not a major studio production, but hey, it's ok. We don't get enought WWII fare these days to be too choosy.

A question for you guys: Where can I find the movie "Stalingrad"? It's certainly not at blockbuster. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Murph

I saw a preview recently in a theatre for "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". It seemed OK. It has alot of mushy scenes. I was getting bored until they showed a Hetzer come rolling into town bashing stuff over. I felt like cheering or something...

As for Stalingrad, I got my copy (DVD) from Columbia House in one of those 6 DVDs for $5. In fact I have not watched it yet (I have had it close to a year). I am waiting to get my new surround sound system. I refuse to watch a war movie for the first time unless everything is perfect... Pretty wierd, huh?

stimpy

When Trumpets Fade is not a bad movie at all. As a matter of fact, its sheer atmosphere surpasses that of Saving Private Ryan. Around 3 American divisions got completely ground up in the Hurtgen Forest and this movie does a decent job of conveying the confusion and bloodiness of that battle. The movie is definately worth watching. BTW, check out Cross of Iron also for a great Russian Front movie besides Stalingrad.

Actually, "Captain Corelli´s Mandolin", is a great novel, not sure if it will be that good as a movie though. It´s not really that much of a love story., more about the complex situation of an occupying army and it´s relation to the local people. There are some really great caracters in the book and it´s actually a joy to read. A couple of "battlescenes" that are some of the most horryfing stuff I´ve read, for instance an assault on the "Metaxas line" etc.. . But a war movie???? Naah!!!

Read the book if you´re on holiday or something, I think you´ll be pleasantly surprised.

And one more thing, "WTF" is a GREAT movie!

Naaahh!! not hollywood **** again frown.gif!!

Check out Die Brücke, Stalingrad, Das Boot and Winter War (Talvisota) smile.gif i wish more films like those.

But in hollywood all are after big moneys, so dont expect good films. Those are only made for masses. Love scenes for women, action and many explosions+ special effects for little boys and men...and well not much more.

[This message has been edited by illo (edited 02-02-2001).]

Regarding Captain Corelli's Mandolin, here it's the official website:

http://www.captain-corellis-mandolin.com

I hope the movie shows, apart from the love story, the true epic story of the glorious men of the Division "Acqui", who didn't surrender to the Germans but decided to fight them, as the King ordered them to do.

The trailer looks pretty good I think.

Guest Offwhite

Originally posted by Murph:

A question for you guys: Where can I find the movie "Stalingrad"? It's certainly not at blockbuster. Any ideas?

Murph, you tried the foreign films section, right? Just checking smile.gif Also try Hollywood Video if there's one nearby, they have it at the one by me.