Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread™ v. 2

jd

Originally posted by Martyr:

OK, I have two questions. One of them is technical, and the other pertains to CM etiquette.

The embarrassing technical one first:

1) How do I include those fancified, clearly-marked, nicely indented quotes in my posts on this board? Whenever I post, I have to cut and paste from others' wisdom, and it never looks right. In fact, it always looks like I made it up myself, and this usually leads to costly and vindictive libel litigation.

You mean like this smile.gif Seriously, the last icon, the letter with the arrow will set it up for you. Using UBB code you can bold or put in italics. Look to the left on the reply screen, see the link UBB Code is ON? There you will find the hidden secrets revealed

And now, Dear Miss Manners:

2) What's the best way to tell an opponent that you think he's being gamey? Any anecdotes (with the names changed, of course) are very welcome, especially if they involve snippy counter-accusations.

Thank you and good night,

Martyr

How about "You gamey son of a bitch!" [actual quote from an email to Mace (name NOT changed)] Course this was after his troops had routed and roasted me so it HAD to be gamey. In the cesspool games, gamey is as gamey does. Some of us abuse those crews, some of us move the tank towards the flag in the last turn in hopes of salvaging a draw (Hear that Lizardboy!...disclosure...he he, it's me doing it)

Truthfully if you are going to play a "serious" game know your opponent and/or be clear on the rules or conditions. If someone is going to be gamey more than you feel comfortable you can engage him in a discussion. "Gee, I hadn't seen that before, why did you do that? Depending on his answer he may change it. If not, drop him from your play list. "Sorry, can't play now, I am washing my hair tonight."

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Martyr:

2) What's the best way to tell an opponent that you think he's being gamey? Any anecdotes (with the names changed, of course) are very welcome, especially if they involve snippy counter-accusations.

Well Joe answered your first question, so I'll take a stab at the second. Ok, I'm going to answer your question with one. How do you define gamey? From what I have seen in the various gamey threads, the tactics decried are usually easiliy countered by using good tactics. I have never called anyone on gamey tactics... and can only really think of one instance were they were used against me (jeep rush). As Joe mentioned, it is best to sound out your opponents views on it... from that, determine if you want to continue playing that person.

Well Joe answered your first question ...
See there jd, Berli acknowledged that I answered his first question and, implicitly, he acknowledged that I answered his second question as well. AND I DID IT BETTER, with examples and actual keystrokes and stuff instead of a crummy "Hey, click on the link or somefink" like YOU did. AND, AND, I threw in a BONUS answer that he didn't even ask but was clearly about ready to ... ask.

Joe

------------------

I heartily admit you are a swine, Joe. But you are OUR swine. (Goanna)

Originally posted by Croda:

OK, then how do you do the UBB code to get TM and foreign (non-American, call me xenophobic) characters? That one's always eluded me...

Keep the comments to yourselves.

you mean like ™ ¢¶º*£ªø©ß§™¶•·°°uû eé etc? Why it's in your computer Mr. Croda, Sir. Your own keyboard produces them. On the Mac the keycaps utility shows them quite easily. On your pc I am not sure [/politeness mode] Okay ya git, where's your surrender?

------------------

How should one use tanks in bad visibility?

Right now I'm playing a canned scenario in a city at night in the snow with many AFVs. In clear weather, I like to send the infantry ahead to scout for AT teams, guns and enemy tanks, with the AFVs standing off to blast buildings or other likely enemy strongpoints. But with a LOS of 60-70m, you're well within bazooka or even PF range before you can start knocking down a building with HE. If you hold the tanks back while the PBI goes in unsupported, the unsuppressed defenders massacre your infantry from under superior cover.

Any ideas, or is this one of those "grit yer teeth and take yer lumps" situations?

Agua Perdido

------------------

Feel the pain of outlaw cinema!

Originally posted by Croda:

OK, then how do you do the UBB code to get TM and foreign (non-American, call me xenophobic) characters? That one's always eluded me...

Keep the comments to yourselves.

There is ño ÜBB codé for that™. It depends on which platform you are on. Macs and PCs use different methods for generating special characters

Originally posted by Agua Perdido:

Right now I'm playing a canned scenario in a city at night in the snow with many AFVs. In clear weather, I like to send the infantry ahead to scout for AT teams, guns and enemy tanks, with the AFVs standing off to blast buildings or other likely enemy strongpoints. But with a LOS of 60-70m, you're well within bazooka or even PF range before you can start knocking down a building with HE. If you hold the tanks back while the PBI goes in unsupported, the unsuppressed defenders massacre your infantry from under superior cover.

Any ideas, or is this one of those "grit yer teeth and take yer lumps" situations?

Take your lumps. Try to keep a screen of infantry just ahead of your tanks... they can hopefully supress any light AT you run into.

How should one use tanks in bad visibility?...

Agua Perdido

I am facing a similar situation: dawn/dusk and very heavy fog. Perhaps due to the bloody pentagram on the back of my monitor, I channeled the spectre of Berli and have done much as he suggested.

That, plus charging my 50 snipers at the flags appears to be working.

I would add that if you don't have your armor in a semi-screen to the rear of your infantry, try driving them hell-for-leather into the flanks/rear (no bauhaus! stop it!! disgusting... put that away!) of your opponent... he's got limited vision too and that move can produce quite a shock... don't give his units time to get a fix on your armor; by the time they do, you should have raced out of the 50-80m LOS.

------------------

"I send you a kaffis of mustard seed, that you may taste and acknowledge the bitterness of my victory."

"Legal advice is very often divorced from reality in my humble opinion" - BTS

Originally posted by Iskander:

I am facing a similar situation: dawn/dusk and very heavy fog.

Oh Really! You don't say isky boy, do say more about your tactics......

------------------

Agua Perdido

OK, Christina Agualeerer, here's how to do it. Make up little groups first of all. At least a 1:1 ratio of inf to tanks, more inf if poss. Am I losing you with the abbreviations? Good.

Send out 1 ptn ahead about 50m, then the tank and another inf ptn, with the inf swarming around the tanks - not riding. Luckily, CM dudes don't suffer powder burns. Hunt the tanks and Move the chaps.

When contact is made with the 'scouting' ptn you'll know (roughly) what's ahead and use the rest of your geezers as the situation demands. If you are caught by surprise, the chaps walking the tanks will pour down fire on any AT crews.

Simple really. Now send me back my feckin file you TURD.

Thank you.

Originally posted by jd:

Oh Really! You don't say isky boy, do say more about your tactics......

Geez, jd, you don't really think I'd discuss what I'd really do until you surrender, now, do you? Doof.

------------------

"I send you a kaffis of mustard seed, that you may taste and acknowledge the bitterness of my victory."

"Legal advice is very often divorced from reality in my humble opinion" - BTS

Yes, I do have a question, but it may not be able to be answered here but I'll try. In playing this, what I consider the best game I've ever played and looking forward to CM2 so much that my boss is threating to fire me ( something about not showing up for work enough or something along those lines ) I find it extremly difficult to kill an enemy officer - even with a TANK! I realize that on rare, rare, rare occasion this could happen but it's just not right and is bugging me. You can tell I was just one of the lowly troopers and not an officer but even if I had been I don't think my chances of going head to head with a tank would have been a good idea. Any comments would be appreciated. And by the way I appreciate you taking the time to do this spot.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Yes, I do have a question, but it may not be able to be answered here but I'll try. In playing this, what I consider the best game I've ever played and looking forward to CM2 so much that my boss is threating to fire me ( something about not showing up for work enough or something along those lines ) I find it extremly difficult to kill an enemy officer - even with a TANK! I realize that on rare, rare, rare occasion this could happen but it's just not right and is bugging me. You can tell I was just one of the lowly troopers and not an officer but even if I had been I don't think my chances of going head to head with a tank would have been a good idea. Any comments would be appreciated. And by the way I appreciate you taking the time to do this spot.

Is this a one time instance or an repeating situation? If just a one timer, the answer is bad luck

Originally posted by lcm1947:

This may also depend on how you are trying to kill the officer. Also remember that an officer unit is 4-6 guys also.

If your tank is just going one on one with these infantry, there is a good chance you'll lose. This is why it is very important to always have infantry support around your armor. If Your tank is finding itself going one on one with any infantry units at close range. It isn't bad luck it is bad tactics.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

Killing Officers

Also remember to use the AI in attempting to kill officers. The AI will basically do what you tell it to, so if you say "target that infantry unit" the AI will typically do so unless it gets fresh info from the CM sims on the ground. Those little CM sims are wily and like to target the HQ units themselves without any prompting, unless and FO, flamethrower or PIAT comes into view.

My tip is: Don't always use the target function unless you have a definite ID and plan on who you want to plug next. You plan where they go, let them figure out who to kill en route or at the destination.

[This message has been edited by Goanna (edited 02-22-2001).]

Here's a poser for you. Do you prefer taking the wide route into battle or as a concentrated mass?

For example, I have a fictional infantry company in front of me and my target - a small hamlet cum village - is in the centre of the map.

Do I:

a) present two platoons up and one in reserve and attack headlong into the village?

or

B) sit tight with two platoons while the other tries out a flanking push, well wide of the village, and attack en-mass to effect a deadly field of surrounding fire?

Regards

'Curious' (name witheld)

Originally posted by Iskander:

I am facing a similar situation: dawn/dusk and very heavy fog.

Oh

Originally posted by jd:

Really! You don't say isky boy, do say more about your tactics......

jd needs all the help he can get with fog tactics...

(edited to adjust nested quotes)

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 02-22-2001).]

Steve, b is your answer. send one around and when in place attack with the flanking platoon and one of the other two. Then bring the third up as a back up.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Agua Perdido

You have two choices. 1) Either use the tank, 2) or don't.

It is just that simple. Pull it forward behind an infantry screen and have it blast away at stuff. If your opponent wants to knock it out he has to engage your infantry to do it.

Sure, it is a risk but all battles are calculated risks.

Jeff