So what's the story with November 44

I've had several PBEM requests from axis players who are choosing Nov 44 as the time frame. I find this a bit suspicious...

So what units are available for the axis in nov 44, or conversely, what allied units aren't available in Nov 44, that would cause these axis players to want to play at this time?

Not sure why November, but if I'm the axis, I prefer 1944 to 1945 because of the TO&E of the rifle companies. You get more HMG42s in 1944 (of course you pay more too, but...). So maybe that combined with some of the better tanks available in November? Just guessing.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I just got my butt kicked last night by a German Player that requested Nov 44

Strange thing..

I bought M18's and a jumbo 76 and I got ONLY two rounds of tungsten between all 3 tanks

And guess what?

my opponent bought a KT and it was unstoppable, we agreed to play no holds barred totally gamey "do anything you want" so I deserved what I got.It was a 1000 pt Me and I thought I was prepared with two M18 Hellcats and jumbo 76.

But I think keen German players have determined that there was a tungsten shortage before Dec 44 and like to play to that lack of tungsten in Nov 44?

What Cool new hardware is available to the Germans in Nov 44? I know the KT is for SURE!

Yes I will be wary of requests to play Nov44 when it requested by those that prefer the germans.

A good point for discussion here for sure.

I look forward to any other comments by players who favour the German side.

Thanks for bringing it up I wondered the SAME thing last night when I saw only 2 tungsten rounds show up in 3 tanks in Nov 44.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 03-05-2001).]

Lol, some people are paranoid alright. The fact it's the default setting is too benign I guess. FYI, the PF-100 isn't the default faust until Feb'45.

Edit: aka_tom_w, IIRC the US starts getting tungsten in Sep44

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 03-05-2001).]

Originally posted by JoePrivate:

Lol, some people are paranoid alright. The fact it's the default setting is too benign I guess. FYI, the PF-100 isn't the default faust until Feb'45.

Edit: aka_tom_w, IIRC the US starts getting tungsten in Sep44

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 03-05-2001).]

Ya but..

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't there more widespread tungsten availability after on and after Dec 44?

At some point and I thought it was dec 44 the cost of Allied TDs that might have tungsten in them goes up because there is a great chance that those tanks will have more than one or two rounds of the tungsten available?

I could be ALL wrong on the Dec 44 date but it seems to be prefered by German players for some reason.

I know for sure that there is a date in the game after which Hellcats get more expensive because there is greater tungsten availability.

-tom w

from a previous thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/016714.html

aka_tom_w

posted 02-25-2001 10:14 PM

Is this news or am I just a Dolt?

(Ok I can be a Dolt I can deal with that )

I just determined that a Veteran Allied M18 Hellcat is worth different points at different months of

availability.

hence:

nov 1944 vet m18 hellecat cost 135 points

may 1945 vet m18 hellcat cost 141 points

So My guess (in the absence of any real evidence to the contrary) is the that late May 1945 M18 is

worth 6 more points than the earlier nov 1944 m18 due to increased availability of Tungsten

ammunintion.

any other ideas?

Is the M18 in Nov '44 the SAME tank as the M18 in May '45? I think it is but I have not taken the

time to confirm the exact stats?

Anyone notice this descrepency with any other tanks? Allied are Axis?

Just curious?

Thanks

-tom w

IP: Logged

Shadow 1st Hussars

posted 02-25-2001 10:28 PM

This probably does have something to do with the availiblity of tungsten ammuntion at different

stages of the war. That's the only reason I can think of. Check the firefly. It probably costs more

later in the war, because it had no HE ammo in the beginning. Not sure about it though.

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be

left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

[This message has been edited by Shadow 1st Hussars (edited 02-25-2001).]

Forever Babra

posted 02-25-2001 10:29 PM

Never noticed, but your theory is good.

------------------

Stereotypes

hal9000

posted 02-25-2001 10:29 PM

I think so, though I don't have any figures to prove it right now. I just started a 6/44 game and

Shermans are much more expensive than I remember them to be regularly.

Dittohead

posted 02-25-2001 10:37 PM

Maybe cause they stopped producing hellcats in October 44.

jasoncawley@ameritech.net

posted 02-25-2001 11:01 PM

Dittohead, I wonder if you might have an answer to a question of mine, since you knew when

Hellcat production stopped. How many of the beasties were made, start to finish? I have figures

for M-10s and M-36s, but not for the M-18s.

Crank_GS

posted 02-25-2001 11:02 PM

That is a possibility, Ditto, but haven't they already said that point values have nothing to do with

availability/scarcity?

Just wondering...

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

North Star

posted 02-25-2001 11:10 PM

I've seen this too. I thought that it may relate to having more tungsten ammo available at later

dates, which makes the allied tanks more valuable. Don't think I have seen the same thing with

the German tanks.

Vanir

posted 02-26-2001 01:37 AM

It is because of tungsten availability. The change happens when the date goes from Dec '44 to

Jan '45. Every Allied vehicle that has a chance of having tungsten goes up in price.

Vanir says:

"IP: Logged

Vanir

It is because of tungsten availability. The change happens when the date goes from Dec '44 to Jan '45. Every Allied vehicle that has a chance of having tungsten goes up in price."

But that is Jan 45 not Dec 44 so there is more tungsten availability after Dec 44 so some Allied TD's that might get Tungsten cost more.

But that does not exactly explain why some German players might still prefer Nov 44 date?

But Nov 44 is still a month before more widespread availability of Allied Tungsten rounds in the game.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 03-05-2001).]

Nov 44 is also one month before the US gets Rifle-45 squads. And before the Brits get VT arty. Likewise, the Germans don't get the Ostwind, JagdTiger, or Flammpanzer until Dec 44. And have to wait 'til Jan45 to get their Rifle-45 squads.

It'll be interesting to see what time period BTS chooses for default PBEMs in CM2. I've been looking through the Red Army Handbook, and the Russians seem to change their TO&E more often than they do their underwear!

- Chris

Originally posted by Windopaene:

I've had several PBEM requests from axis players who are choosing Nov 44 as the time frame. I find this a bit suspicious...

So what units are available for the axis in nov 44, or conversely, what allied units aren't available in Nov 44, that would cause these axis players to want to play at this time?

The Volksgrenadiere with SMG squads are not available earlier.

Could this be the reason? biggrin.gif

------------------

SS-Weihnachtsgrenadiere

Guest Germanboy

The words 'over' and 'analysing' do come to mind...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Kurtz:

The Volksgrenadiere with SMG squads are not available earlier.

Could this be the reason? biggrin.gif

YES!

that helps in my case as I played the person last night that likes to buy the King Tiger and 4 PzIV's and rest of the points were spend on those Volksgrenadiere with SMG squads!

Now that makes sense why it is good to request Nov 44 as the German player.

Thanks

-tom w

Guest Germanboy

Always remember - if your opponent needs King Tigers and SMG squads to be beat you, you are playing a loser.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

heh, so less tungsten for nov '44 eh?

i almost always play allies and when i host i don't change the date...oops...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Well I'm glad to see that there may be some reasons for Germans picking this time frame, and that I'm not just paranoid. It is interesting that one of the two didn't want to use any "Fionn rules" type restrictions. He hasn't sent any files back yet, so we'll see what he's got cooking.

The Germans get VG infantry, the cheapest type and almost pure SMG, in November. In October it is not yet available. Starting in December, the U.S. starts getting 1945 model infantry squads, with 2 BAR per squad. So it is just after an uptick in Germany infantry flexibility, firepower, and cheapness, and just before an uptick in U.S. infantry effectiveness. There is no marked effect on the vehicle vs. vehicle side of things.