Explosive Dogs

During the World War I and II the Soviets had dobermines 9sorry if its mispelled) or dogs for those mentally challenged-with demo charges full of shrapnel on their backs- they just ran at the enemy- if a tank would run it over (the dog)- the charge would immobalize the tank- and if it got in near a squad (which was rare cause it could easily be shot) it blew up shredding up the people-will CM2 have these crazy and fun lovable dogs-mans best friend you know...

-Niles "Fieldmarshall" Hirschi :cool:

>During the World War I and II the Soviets had dobermines

LOL!!!!!

"dobermines"

Oh man, that's a keeper!

Err, no. I don't believe BTS said they'd be in there. Yeah, it's been discussed, at length. Dobermines. Man, I won't be able to sleep to night! ;)

The Germans also had their own top secret program of dog-mines.

The panzerwoofer mines were fed nothing but T34 shaped snacks, and when they were released in the Eastern Front they ran with great glee towards Russian T34s as they saw them as nothing but a giant snack.

No word on what breed was favored for the task. ;)

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

The Germans also had their own top secret program of dog-mines.

The panzerwoofer mines were fed nothing but T34 shaped snacks, and when they were released in the Eastern Front they ran with great glee towards Russian T34s as they saw them as nothing but a giant snack.

No word on what breed was favored for the task. ;)

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if they ever met german captured T-34 ;)

Oh yeah Dobermines, but why not also the WireRats? Now we Know that the mice that gnawed the cables of the German tanks was dressed to do in a true Pavlov style.

And we have also the correct images. The Hamsters and Rodents (sounds like a good old British Regiment, don't it?)

:D

Massimo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by massimorocca:

Oh yeah Dobermines, but why not also the WireRats? Now we Know that the mice that gnawed the cables of the German tanks was dressed to do in a true Pavlov style.

And we have also the correct images. The Hamsters and Rodents (sounds like a good old British Regiment, don't it?)

:D

Massimo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something like that. ;)

Kitty

I fink you mean the Kings Own Hamsters and Rodents (KOHR) or the Northumberland Hamster and Rodent Fusiliers (NHRF). I beleive the 1st Bn KOHR distinguished themselves at Cassino by tunnelling under the German defenses and emerging in the rear (so to speak).

Dobermines..? As mentioned, they existed but were little used if at all. However, they were the most (in)famous of the German programs that trained dogs to attack the enemy. Lesser known breeds included:

Saint Burn-inards: Suicidal dogs w. Molotav Cocktails strapped to their backs.

Tor-poodles: swam underwater towards ships w. neutrally bouyant explosives attached to their back.

Pit Bull Terrorer: packs of rabid pit bulls parachuted into Allied staging areas to break up attacks.

Gold-Hun Retriever - used by Nazi Party Officials whenever a new town, etc was overrun by the Germans. This breed was used to 'sniff out' gold coin and treasure that may have been hidden by the populous to prevent their capture.

Dough-Boy-Man Pinchers: Actually conceived during WW1, the Germans intended these dogs to infiltrate enemy trenches on the Western Front and mercilessly pinch and torment sleeping soldiers (aka "Dough Boys"). This program was cancelled when it proved impossible to breed a dog with opposable thumbs (needed for pinching).

That's just a few of the experimental canine weapons recently uncovered, and they'll soon be featured on the History Channel's upcoming "Dogs of War" series.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

True-life problems with dobermines:

The Russians got the dogs to run under tanks by always feeding them under tanks. The dogs would associate tanks with yummy treats! Unfortunately, the trainers would oftentimes only have access to Soviet tanks handy to train their dogs with. So when the dogs were let got on the battlefield and they were given a choice between a T34 or a PzIII to run for, well...

Monty frequently hunted with the English FoxHun.

Fyi, I saw this weekend there is a Vet group looking to raise money and get necessary approvals to build a memorial near the Mall to dogs that served with US forces in various wars. There was also a neat article in Parade magazine about two months ago.

Man's best friend saved quite a few GI lives!

In all seriousness.. In Vietnam patrol dogs saved many a GIs life by detecting booby traps, ambushes, and ocassionally actually taking a bullet for the GI.

One platoon actually forced marched themselves out of a heavily occupied area carrying the the platoons wounded patrol dog. They marched for 4 days, all the while carrying the dog on a stretcher, to get to a safe LZ so that the dog could be Med-evaced.

Jeff

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

There seems to be this tradition

of taking our furry cousins and using them

in ways that are quite clearly in breach of contract.

The ancient romans for example were known to

cover a herd of pigs in tar-set fire to them

and send them off towards some unsuspecting

barbarian.....I wonder if this is where

we get the term streaky bacon (Streakum Porcum possibly)

> So when the dogs were let got on the

> battlefield and they were given a choice

> between a T34 or a PzIII to run for,

> well...

At the time this program was tried, I dont think they had a choice very often. Soviet troops saw own tanks very rarely then.

Well, if you ask me, I would not play missions with dogs since I would not want to see them explode.

Not without a Bill Gates mod at least.

Another problem K-9 troops had was that they usually returned hand grenades to their owner. That was especially true with the Stielhandgranate model and Germany was forced to use Egg Grenades instead (try and make your dog fetch an egg and you will see why the solution was effective)

"War pigeons" would not be that bad. You would be able to increase command radius quite a lot. Also, they could be shot down by AA fire, producing a cloud of feathers that would obscure LOS the same way fog does. Feathers would also offer great possibilities as offensive weapons if combined with the tar from molotov cocktails or hand-made sticky bombs. Sort of a Surface-to-Honour missile.

Combat Swallows and Pigeons would also be able to carry TNT filled coconuts, thus providing a conutry with cheap fighter-bomber support. When out of coconuts, they could make strafing attacks, blocking LOS through vehicle hatches and windshields in quite a gross way I will not describe in this post.

• 2 months later...