Scenario Reviews on the Depot

I reviewed by first scenario yesterday, for "A Melee at Marvie"

I have several requests that would make it more pleasant to do so:

1) In the comment field, please regonize double-linebreaks and make paragraphs from them. Maybe even add a edit function (OK, not easy to do without password-protected users, but maybe by IP address so that you can at least edit within the same seession?)

2) I am not happy with the available ratings, they don't fit my way of thinking.

I would like to rate by:

- Action

- Nailbiting (outside big firefights)

- How "real" did it feel? Did you imagine this came real the real battle?

On the other hand, force balance is unimportant for me. I commented on it and gave the scenario a low setting. But now my overall rating is pretty low due to the force balance rating I didn't care about.

Some suggestions for discussion:

- Add more fields. People don't need to fill in what they don't like.

- Pair each field with a "this is especially important for me" and give those ratings a double or even triple weight in the average.

having said this, a very useful site and I will let me contributions drop in as I can.

I always go back and rate the scenarios I play ... well, almost always.

Accordingly, I am far more likely to DL a rated scenario than one that is unrated. Why? Simply because there are so many of them, and so little time to play them.

I also agree that a few more fields would be good - a little more flavor of the battle, so to speak.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Crank_GS:

Accordingly, I am far more likely to DL a rated scenario than one that is unrated. Why? Simply because there are so many of them, and so little time to play them.

<hr></blockquote>

If everyone though that way then none of them would ever get rated. Then what would you do?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Andreas, have you ever tried clubbing seals while playing scenarios. The yelping mixes well with artillery I have found. But it will get your keyboard a bit messy, plastic covers are highly reccommended.

WWB<hr></blockquote>

I find that for the byte battles a Penguin works best.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kingfish:

I find that for the byte battles a Penguin works best.<hr></blockquote>

I find clubbing Penguins, like all other birds, relatively unsatisfying. Their hollow bones do not make a satisfying crunch like mammal's do.

Puppies, however, are great for byte battles.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>If everyone though that way then none of them would ever get rated. Then what would you do? <hr></blockquote>

Well, you're right Pazerman - to an extent. My time is really limited, and I want a little feedback on a battle because I do not want to invest my time in a battle that I do not like. Reading a review, I have found, tends to reduce that liklihood. The way I see it, I make up for it by making sure I review every battle I DL.

But also, as an exception, I will DL Tiny and Small Battles that are unreviewed - then I will review them.

Also, don't forget to vote for the scenario of the month!

I think Byron has a point - if you are pressed for time, you don't want to risk wasting it on a bad scenario.

At the end of the day, any review of any scenario is welcome, will make the site more attractive, and over time people will come back to play new stuff and hopefully review it too. It is at this stage important to grow the stock of reviews on the Depot.

The Anglophile Nick Chameleon

OK, you are correct.

After thinking about it a bit, I have decided that I will make it a point to DL, play and then review an un-reviewed Battle for every unreviewed one I DL.

Perhaps a larger area for a description of each battle might be helpful though. Reason being that I much prefer Historical Battles, but if there is a really interesting reason to make one that is not, I would like to know beforehand. Just my 2 cents' worth...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Crank_GS:

Perhaps a larger area for a description of each battle might be helpful though. Reason being that I much prefer Historical Battles, but if there is a really interesting reason to make one that is not, I would like to know beforehand. Just my 2 cents' worth...<hr></blockquote>

It is already there... but not every author uses it

Stoffel,

I plead guilty to having downloaded scenarios without reviewing them, although I must state that this is for the excellent reason that I haven't yet played them!!!

Currently, I am stage-managing a play, and consequently at the moment, Mr William Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" is taking up all my waking hours. However, Andreas has made a very good point, and I will make damn sure that I do my bit for every scenario I play from now on.

Regards,

Richard.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

I would rather see direct feedback to the author as well

A review is fine but you cant complain or give tips whithout spoiling any surprises

I know several people downloaded and played my scenario,though I never received any feedback :( <hr></blockquote>

I think the AAR section should address this quite well. The AARs I have seen are quite good and informative. I must say that I think it is going beyond the call of duty though. To expect a lot of people to take the time to write up the battle is probably too much. Would be nice, and I like reading it, but realistically can not be expected.