bazookas remarkably effective against infantry :)

Well I set up a test. A regular German

Sturmkompanie on a single tile open ground

island. (Yes you can pack a whole

Sturmkompanie into one tile). Surrounding

them on all sides are 100 bazookas.

Turn one, the bazookas begin area firing

the island. The Germans knock out about

5 bazooka teams before being totally

routed. A few more turns of this treatment

and no one is left alive on the island. :eek:

Try it yourself to see the 'cluster bomb'

effect. Just be sure to give the Germans

a few pillboxes pointing the wrong way

to keep their global morale from flagging.

Now a serious question. Is it okay in

a battle if I let my bazookas burn off

their ammo against infantry targets, once

I think there won't be any more armor

to fire at? 8c rounds can cause a casualty

or two against guys in a building or

woods, and might help make the difference

between a win and a loss in a firefight.

Am I going to P-off a historically minded

opp deliberately using bazookas against

infantry?

regards,

--Rett

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Nope. The zooks were used against infantry. Most against strong points.

As an interesting side note, British troops used wire guided Milan missiles against Argentine infantry troops in Malvinas. Not too much armor around to fire at.

The blast of such weapons is enough to toast infantrymen pretty well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is -- perhaps -- the funniest thing I have read all week, maybe all month. Thank you.

--Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

This is -- perhaps -- the funniest thing I have read all week, maybe all month. Thank you.

--Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think it was funny to read, set it up

and watch it...you won't be disappointed.

:rolleyes:

--Rett

them on all sides are 100 bazookas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you mind terribly mailing me that scenario? I think we can use it in the Cesspool.

Agua Perdido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

Nope. The zooks were used against infantry. Most a gainst strong points.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'll give my opponents your

email if they think I'm gamey smile.gif

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agua Perdido:

Would you mind terribly mailing me that scenario? I think we can use it in the Cesspool.

Agua Perdido<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure no prob, I got my HD clogged with

lots of stuff like that. You should

meet my arty spotter friend, Lt. Mr.

Boom. They could make a comic book

about his adventures...

--Rett

The value of firing AT weapons at infantry is as much suppression as inflicting casualties. I think suppression is underrated by most people – I don't mean when a squad is 'Taking Cover', I mean just when it goes from 'Alerted' to 'Cautious' – this can make all the difference.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh. I really bursted when I read this. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Ooh. I really bursted when I read this. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did I, but then I started thinking: was this really a fair test? 100 bazookas is something like three times as many points as a Sturmkompanie. A more even matchup would be a Sturmkompanie vs. 30 or 40 bazookas. Would the bazookas still come out ahead so easily? Now I realize I really need to knock off work and go have a drink!

Let your rallying cry this 4th of July (and not just for us Yanks--it's fun to blow stuff up, even without a holiday as an excuse) be: "One-hundred bazookas!"

Agua Perdido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agua Perdido:

So did I, but then I started thinking: was this really a fair test? 100 bazookas is something like three times as many points as a Sturmkompanie. A more even matchup would be a Sturmkompanie vs. 30 or 40 bazookas.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should mention that the bazookas were

on defence, so they were dug in.

--Rett

Can't remember which, but either MacDonald's "Company Commander" or Gantter's "Roll Me Over" mentions being fired on by a German bazooka (schreck or faust, I imagine) - the author says it was the first time he'd seen a bazooka used against infantry, and remarks about how frightening it was.

I don't think it's gamey, but it sounds like it wasn't an everyday occurrence either. If what happens to AT teams when they get spotted by infantry in CM is at all representative of what happened in real life, one can see where they'd be hesitant to draw infantry's attention by firing on them. Plus I'd think they would want to save their ammo for enemy armor.

That's an amusing test as well as informative. Unfortunately, in real battle situations I've seen nothing but dismall results of bazookas against infantry. In fact, I've yet to see a soldier injured or killed by a bazooka or schrek round, and I've looked closely every time I used one or had one used against me. The only thing I've seen is maybe some surpressing results, that's it.

I've yet to see a infantry casualty caused by a hand grenade also. I've looked closely at every close combat situation I've been it and have yet to see one.

I would have begged to BTS that these "bugs" be changed but it seems that others have seen these things happen quite frequently so there must not be any bugs. It's obviously a conspiracy mounted by my copy of CM and my computer :D

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Pak40 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

That's an amusing test as well as informative. Unfortunately, in real battle situations I've seen nothing but dismall results of bazookas against infantry. In fact, I've yet to see a soldier injured or killed by a bazooka or schrek round, and I've looked closely every time I used one or had one used against me. The only thing I've seen is maybe some surpressing results, that's it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly. Until an opponent's Scheck set fire to a house that held a whole platoon of my infantry. A little while later in a different PBEM the same thing happened. And just recently I had a platoon occupying a large building. The were only just holding uot, and ammo was going low. There was no AT threat, since it was an infantry only battle. All of a sudden one of the squads decides to use their faust against some enemy infantry. Guess what? Yup, one burning building and one platoon running this way and that.

Kinda changed my views on them little fellers in an anti-infantry role if there's buildings around, I'll tell you that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

I think suppression is underrated by most people – I don't mean when a squad is 'Taking Cover', I mean just when it goes from 'Alerted' to 'Cautious' – this can make all the difference.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David's been trying to convince himself of this by repeating it as often as he can ever since he assembled the "Raevsky Redoubt" grand battery of 2" mortars to bombard a wood I was in - and all they achieved was to alert a couple of squads!! smile.gif

I have heard one old vet say that they often fired bazookas at infantry when they were in buildings or fieldworks.

He also told me how he took out a tank with a bazooka from a small basement window during the Bulge. Since the backblast prevented firing the damn thing in the usual manner (small room), they wedged it in the window with sandbags and fired it remotely with some sort of Rube Goldberg string arrangement. Hit the tank (Model unknown, he thinks every tank he saw was a Tiger) in the roadwheels and when it bogged the crew was coaxed out with gasoline.

Try modeling that in CM!

Speaking of 100 bazookas pointed at innocent boys on an island...

To introduce an old ASL gaming friend to the new CM system, we dropped him into the intro Valley game, but modified things so the Axis had about 50 modules of 300mm artillery targeted on him across the front. We had warned him that artillery was just a wee bit more effective in CM than ASL, then we let it rip! Talk about 100 zooks aimed at boys on an island! Our artillery barrage was a credit to the designers' graphics. Well done BTS!

I don't think I'll ever forget how much we laughed that night, as the artillery rained down on the old hand/newbie.

He just said "F***, that artillery's pretty amazing. Is it always like this?"

We assured him it was. He wanted to play on...

A vet in the 80th Inf Div that I talked to said bazookas were the most efective way for infantry to do house to house fighting. Pour suppressive fire on the building, then get the bazooka team to fire at one of the walls or the window. End of problem most of the time.

However, in CM, I have noticed that 'zooks are useless for digging out infantry. Anyone else have better luck? I remember in CC2 actually using them to some success in that role.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen. Sosaboski:

A vet in the 80th Inf Div that I talked to said bazookas were the most efective way for infantry to do house to house fighting. Pour suppressive fire on the building, then get the bazooka team to fire at one of the walls or the window. End of problem most of the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Because the round penetrates the

wall and explodes inside? Or does it

break a hole in the wall, making it

easier to shoot in rifle grenades? All

or none of the above?

--Rett