TO THOSE I PLAY WITH AND ANYONE TECHNICAL ENOUGH CHALLENGE THREAD!!!

Please be aware that as of today I am done playing CM or more accurately CM seems to be done being played by me.

Every single time in try to launch a game it comes up with:

A fatal exception (0E: Page Fault) had occured at 0028:C00071D5 in VxD VMM(01) + 000061D5

When I kill all running processes but Explorer and Systray it's even worth since as soon as I click on the shortcut I get that:

A fatal exception (0E: Page Fault) had occured at 0028:C004F320 in VxD Vcache(01) + 00000B20

Now I'm a little peeved to say the least...

So for you diagnosers and wannabes, here are the specs:

Pentium III 700Mhz, Win98se (had WinMe but had the VERY SAME errors and did a complete reformat to no avail since it's still occuring), some 200Mb of RAM, GeforceDDR256 with latest 4.12 650 Detonator Drivers straight from Nvidia just minutes ago and Dx8.0a

I can't understand how I can play Black & White, Project IGI and games like NHL2001 which are known powerhogs and can't even LAUNCH CM when only Windows is running.

So PLEASE:

a/Advice

b/Play someone else in the mean time...

And lest I forgot, I did a search, I reinstalled ALL of CM just to be sure the EXE wasn't corrupted and all of that.

Thanks for your time and now I'm back to something that I can ACTUALLY play with.

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Please be aware that as of today I am done playing CM or more accurately CM seems to be done being played by me.

A fatal exception (0E: Page Fault) had occured at 0028:C00071D5 in VxD VMM(01) + 000061D5

When I kill all running processes but Explorer and Systray it's even worth since as soon as I click on the shortcut I get that:

A fatal exception (0E: Page Fault) had occured at 0028:C004F320 in VxD Vcache(01) + 00000B20

Pentium III 700Mhz, Win98se (had WinMe but had the VERY SAME errors and did a complete reformat to no avail since it's still occuring), some 200Mb of RAM, GeforceDDR256 with latest 4.12 650 Detonator Drivers straight from Nvidia just minutes ago and Dx8.0a

I can't understand how I can play Black & White, Project IGI and games like NHL2001 which are known powerhogs and can't even LAUNCH CM when only Windows is running.

So PLEASE:

a/Advice

And lest I forgot, I did a search, I reinstalled ALL of CM just to be sure the EXE wasn't corrupted and all of that.

Thanks for your time and now I'm back to something that I can ACTUALLY play with.

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, let me get this straight. You did a reformat and reinstall and are still getting the error? If so, hmmm... Sounds like something maybe in the BIOS. But I don't know. Although DirectX 8.0a may be the problem. However that doesn't seem likely as it seems to work alright on other people's machines.

Did you reinstall sound drivers too?

Does it blue-screen or do you get the error box?

Have you tried taking out all RAM chips, putting each one in individually and trying again?

What about a fault on the CD? You've used it before ok I assume?

Have you also tried uninstalling and reinstalling to change the HD sectors the game sits in?

Hope this is of some help.

I can't understand how I can play Black & White, Project IGI and games like NHL2001 which are known powerhogs and can't even LAUNCH CM when only Windows is running.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably because Windows has put a lot of crap in c:\WINDOWS directory, and some of this probably conflicts with CM.

The cure : reinstall windows 98 from scratch, and it will work nicely for a few month to 1 year. Last time i did this, i had used my PC nearly a year without reinstall... In the end, 1/5 of games would not run, and the "You may shutdown your computer" screen never came (always freezed with the "please wait" screen). And NEVER trash softwares manually when the auto-uninstall works. This will not prevent windows from crashing, but it'll give you a few more months to play before next reinstall...

Be careful then : Black and White saves things into the register base. Look in B&W to see if there is an "export save" feature before scratching the drive.

Have a nice day ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

Video drivers, or directx, reinstall both!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First DirectX, then video and sound drivers! The other way 'round rarely works (on my systems, anyway).

So PLEASE:

a/Advice

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you post on the Technical Problems messageboard, some guy named Shrullenshaft (of something like that) will help you almost immediately.

Go there, Pushbroom.

Cafard:

You must be monkeying around with your system pretty hard if you have to reinstall that often.

Pawbroon:

THE PROBLEM:

Your issues relate to a mismatched set of DLLs in the Windows System directory. One of the dlls (the virtual memory manager: VMM) has got the wrong address for a function inside another DLL, or some other DLL is trying to call an incorrect address inside the VMM dll.

THE LIKELY CAUSE:

THIS particular bit of fun is because Microsoft always alpha orders the exported functions (and hence their function signatures) in their DLLs for each major rebuild of the OS or its supporting components (like DirectX).

DLL A, version 1 exports:

1. A_Function

2. B_Function

3. D_Function

When Microsoft adds C_Function to that DLLs export list, the new export list looks like the following:

DLL A, version 2 exports:

1. A_Function

2. B_Function

3. C_Function

4. D_Function

Not necessarily bad or evil of its own right (unlike Berlichtingen).

Part B of this equation for disaster is that when Microsoft code calls Microsoft code (this Windows System DLL calling that one), they do so NOT by function name, but by function position in the function export list for the target DLL, as this is much quicker to resolve at runtime inside the operating system.

Some hunk of code that calls dll A, version 1, function #3 will be sorely hurt when dll A, version 2 is the one found in the Windows system directory. Because D_Function isn't at position 3 anymore, it's C_Function now. When the function expected at position X no longer appears at position X, the odds are huge that you'll get low level function signature trouble, as you so painfully know.

When you upgraded IE4 to IE5 for example, a whole boatload of DLLs came along for the ride. This "package" of DLLs forms a coherent set of DLLs who all "speak" the same function positions.

This is why developers of other tools should NEVER call Windows DLLs by function position, because it leaves you at the whim of the Microsoft developers naming conventions. BUT, a number of developers, particularly those hell-bent on speed, do make those calls, and end up having very specific lists of Windows DLL versions that will cooperate with their code.

Piecemeal addition of core Windows System files (from game publishers, hardware vendors, etc) can get you into this type of problem if they are not up to date with the latest technology themselves.

A SOLUTION METHODOLOGY:

(personal history and personal practice which serves me well)

The best way to avoid these types of issues is to keep up to date with the WindowsUpdate, which will inform you of what updates are available, AND will install coherent sets of DLLs that avoid the function signature mismatch.

I'd recommend a clean install, updating your machine with all the recommended updates from Microsoft starting from Service Packs and working down to smaller Windows subsystems like DirectX 8.0.

From personal history, video drivers are the most notorious generators of VxD problems.

Good luck.

[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Cafard:

You must be monkeying around with your system pretty hard if you have to reinstall that often.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe...

Well, in fact, on windows, i'm just installing / uninstalling games. And always original ones. But not all software writers make clean code and clean uninstall process...

I know that: i use Perl :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Part B of this equation for disaster is that when Microsoft code calls Microsoft code (this Windows System DLL calling that one), they do so NOT by function name, but by function position in the function export list for the target DLL, as this is much quicker to resolve at runtime inside the operating system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, i learned something today... I wonder why they even give name to their functions!

Bye,

Cafard.