Unauthorized Mod CD issue taken care of

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that a German based Mod CD is now kaput. We contacted them and expressed some objections about how they were presenting the materials and that we were concerned that they were in violation of various individual's copyrights.

Note that we did not threaten or otherwise bully them, as it is not our intention to squash legitimate free enterprise. All we wanted to do was make sure that the artwork was in fact their own, which the two screenshots clearly made us question. However, the publisher sent us a message and said the (unfinished) product was now officially cancelled. Read into that what you will ;)

Which we are thankfull for because we would have done whatever it took to get the CD off the market if indeed there were violations of copyrights contained on it. And that could have proved to be a major distraction.

Thanks for pointing us to this problem, all is fine now. And Modders... know that we will stand up for your rights. It is the least we can do for you ;)

Steve

You know, a mod CD might not be a bad idea. It might help those people, especially those overseas, who don't have broadband connections. If it were issued by, say, CMHQ, and the mod authors' permission was given. A nominal fee could be charged, to cover duplication. Just a thought.

Dammit Doug, you beat me to the point. While this MOD CD was gone about in a completely wrong manner, one done right could be a very cool thing. And, it must be added, that the thieving germans had some very good ideas. Namely a multilingual installer program, which would not be all that hard to do and would be a big help to the computer challenged. Even better yet, we could make a CMMOS version. Not to mention many other CM utilities, patches, etc.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doug Williams:

You know, a mod CD might not be a bad idea. It might help those people, especially those overseas, who don't have broadband connections. If it were issued by, say, CMHQ, and the mod authors' permission was given. A nominal fee could be charged, to cover duplication. Just a thought.<hr></blockquote>

I already do something like that for a couple of CM buddies that I work with. I supply a readme file with all the changes from the last CD I made, install instructions, etc. I try to make an update disk about every 3 months. I would NEVER charge for it (good way to loose friends). I could see if someone were to do something similar that they could charge for CD costs and shipping but that is ABSOLUTELY it. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that because there is no profit being made in it for someone else's work (ie the modders).

Just my 2 cents...

Forgot to add...

Glad to see BTS took care of this. It just goes to show they really care about the CM community and fan base.

[edited to add praise for BTS :D ]

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]</p>

If you go to the website of the company concerned they have a brief statement to the effect that this product was torpedoed by da man (!) with legal jurisdiction... or something to that effect. I have included the text below for someone whos German was more than one term in high school 24 years ago....

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Brand new / Brandneu

Realismus pur / More realism

INtex Graphics Enhancement Pack

Dieses Produkt wird nicht erscheinen, da man mit juristischen Winkelzügen versucht, die Veröffentlichung zu torpedieren.

Address

INtex Publishing GmbH

Jakobstr. 9

D-53783 Eitorf Communication

Tel.: 02243 / 9127-27

Mo.-Frei. 9-17 Uhr

Fax: 02243 / 9127-28 Internet

E-Mail:

www.intex-publishing.de

INtex-GmbH@T-Online.de

<hr></blockquote>

The real reason is that this product will not be released because it infringes on international copyright laws. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing to argue about.

(edited for typo)

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Moon ]</p>

[q] Dieses Produkt wird nicht erscheinen, da man mit juristischen Winkelzügen versucht, die Veröffentlichung zu torpedieren.

[/q]

Tranlated, this is approximately: "This product will not appear because people have used legal tricks to scuttle its publication."

All in all, a pretty slimy statement, given that the "legal trick" is based on the fact that the company is selling stuff that doesn't belong to them.