"Wild Bill's Rumblings Of War"- A Tournament

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to hassle you but…..

Is it possible to get a little more detail on the size of the scenarios? How many small, medium, equivalent in points, map sizes, turns etc.

Will you be trying to set up competitionon between people in or near the same time zone?

Loose lips sink ships (and hopes) so we can't say a lot. Mike has covered it well. Most of the nations involved in CMBO are included.

The scenarios will be sort of medium in size and not over 30 turns in order that the agony will not be too prolonged for the loser. We hate slow deaths.

We will do our best to be sure you have enough time, but that does not mean you will be twiddling your thumbs.

When the Colonel says "MOVE," you'd best move! :D

Wild Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SuperTed:

TB,

When you say "...from Australia to Germany...," is that from east to west or from west to east? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he means Alphabetically, from A - G. So that rules out players from the USA, but includes all those from the Commonwealth :cool: . But not Ireland, unless you live in Northern Ireland.

The French are in, but the Italians are out, the Finns are fine, but the Swedes are sad.

South America is looking good with Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Dominica, Ecuador, French Guiana, and Guyana.

Asia too is looking able, though all the players from Hong Kong are hoping to sneak in under the Chinese flag now they don't belong to the Commonwealth any longer. :(

Who says the Commonwealth isn't relevant in this day and age? More of it I say! :D

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited twice by: JonS because it was trickier than it looks ]

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

Dear participants to-be of Wild Bill's Rumblings of War Tourney,

I was thinking along the following lines regarding the 6-bottle wine prize of this tournament: I'll rather be more flexible; I'll ask the eventual winner what cultivars he prefers, be it the main one's produced here in South Africa, too wit:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Cabernet Sauvignon

<LI> Pinotage

<LI> Merlot

<LI> Shiraz

<LI> Pinot Noir

<LI> Cabernet Franc

<LI> Red blends -- which consist of combinations of 1/more of the previous

<LI> Port -- better known here in South Africa as by the misnomer 'Cape Vintage'

and the main white varieties

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Chardonnay -- in wooded, slightly wooded or unwooded incarnations

<LI> Sauvignon Blancs -- 98% of them unwooded here in South Africa, the wooded one's being called Blanc Fumé

<LI> Chenin Blanc -- tend to be mostly off-dry, some wooded, some not

<LI> Semillon

<LI> Noble Late Harvest's -- sweet dessert style wines, mostly in 500ml bottles and usually made of either Chenin/Semillon/Sauv. Blanc or Rhine (Weisser) Riesling

<LI> Weisser/Rhine Riesling -- mostly off-dry to semi-sweet in style here; few dry examples

<LI> A good white blend -- mostly dry to off-dry style and

<LI> Voignier -- pronounced 'voy-neer'. I would only recommend one estate's wine (Fairview) in this category to be honest. Very fashionable in the rest of the world wine producing countries @ the moment, but the few wine estates that have dabbled with this cultivar here in South Africa have produced mediocre results at best, barring the pioneer Fairview

Now the eventual winner might know:

1. <LI> Nothing about wine at all, South African or otherwise, in which case I'll make a recommendation from the above categories or let him choose from what categories I should make a offering;
    <LI> A little bit about wine in general. He can choose then all 6 bottles from one category or split his selection the way he sees fit. Again, I'll make a few good/excellent recommendations in each category the he chooses, or he can give me carte blanche;
    <LI> Knows a little quote more than (B). If he knows some South African wine estates, he could if he so wishes request a particular estate's wine -- if available -- from me, (the wines' prices will not be an issue BTW). Again, he could also ask my recommendation within the cultivars of his choosing. If he has drunk a fair amount of SA wines, I'll be happy to oblige and recommend wines similar (in taste/style etc.) to the ones he has drunk and liked.

Just be reminded: I cannot "guarantee", when making recommendations, that your *palate* will find a particular wine to your liking when you eventually receive the goods. I can only "guarantee" that the *quality* of the wine will be good/excellent. ;)

Mike, announcement of the participants of this tourney is on 1 September, right?

Regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

Yes, WineCape. On September 1st we will post the names of those applicants who have been selected, plus a few standby players. All applications are due August 24th. This deadline is set in stone!! It appears that just over 1/3 of the applicants will be accepted into the three simultaneous Wild Bill tourneys so do your best on the applications if you want to get in. I've already received some very good ones.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

A Couple of new clarifications to the particpants of this great tourney that Treeburst is putting together.

The scenario design/testing is progressing nicely. Keith "Outlaw" Yeates (aka Buckeye) has gotten moving quickly and three scenarios of the series are already undergoing serious testing.

Ted "Super Ted" Quincy has become a partner in the effort. Ted is one of the most selfless individuals I know and is an asset to the WB Raider Team.

He has always been there for us. He is pioneering a second group of testers to do the same as the Outlaw team is doing. Thanks Outlaw and ST and your team members for your willingness to help.

Be assured that none of these testers will be participants in the tourney. I wish I could, but instead I'll stand by and watch the carnage :eek:.

Remember, you purists, these are loosely based historical recreations. While not every gun may have the historical counterpart in ammo load, all of these do give you the feel of the real historical action. That is what we are seeking.

Everything is moving along well. I think you will all, win or lose, have a good time with these.

Surprises? Yes, there will be a few ;)

Lock and load, warriors. Its a long hard road to victory!

Winecap, can you drop me a note tonight? My mail is not getting through to you.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill, there are ALWAYS surprises with your scenarios :D. You are the reason I applied for this tournament. Some of the best battles I've had have come on your maps.

So...if I don't get in, I look forward to playing them if/when released.

Wild Bill,

My ISP (WorldOnline) might capture (hijack!)some mail fellow CM gamers have send due to possible virus alerts. If found, they quarantine it. Though they notify you of such procedure, I cannot retrieve it. Sometimes I cannot figure out from whom it came too.

If you have send some attachment, try again, as I am receiving all other mail in good order so far. My e-mail again: WineCape@global.co.za

Regards,

Charl Theron

Gack! Rumblings too? Why? This one doesn't have force buys, thus eliminating at a stroke

one of the biggest problems in Tournament of the Stars. The scenarios have been carefully balanced and playtested, using historically credible forces, with tweaks made to fix problems. Added to which these scenarios are not the historically unlikely MEs which generated so much tactical weirdness in TotS.

Contrast this with having a map, wide open to highly limited forces, and a mad scramble to seize and hold VLs, while having no prebattle recon.

As far as I'm concerned, Rumblings is nearly airtight by comparison, with most of the bones of contention removed before the flesh is applied to the tourney skeleton, as it were.

I was really looking forward to Rumblings, Treeburst155, and I hope you'll reinstate it.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

I really hope that all the whining/carping/bitching that Mike had to deal with on the "Tourney of the Stars" (Tourney of the Prima Donnas?) doesn't spill over into this one. WB had put together some fun scenarios...and the emphasis is on fun, which is what these tournaments ought to be about.

To clarify the reasons for Mike's apparent departure, and for more commentary, see the "Tourney of the Stars" thread.