I am SO going to be flammed for this...

*Opens Closet*

*Pulls out asbestos jump suit*

*Puts it on, zips it up*

Ok. Now that I've taken some precautions...HERE GOES!

Has anybody ever considered making unit mods that cause the unit to be invisible? Just as a goof, not to win serious games or anything. There are quite a few invisible character skins floating around for Quake 3, and they made me think of the possibilities in CM.

I realize that the TacAI would still "see" he units but in a PBEM or TCP game, invisible units would really play a trick on your opponent (and cause him or her to remove you from they're opponent list wink.gif)

Tanks would be prime targets for the "inviso" treatment. They'd probably be easier to do than infantry, and have the a huge impact if they were made invisible. I guess you would have to leave some part of the tank (top or back maybe) visible so you could see it. Or just play with unit bases on.

Can it be done? I am no mod maker, so I ask everyone who is.

They would only be invisible to you not to the person playing against you in a PBEM, Hotseat, or TCP/IP game.

------------------

" When you succeed, give all the credit to others; when you fail, take all the blame." General Dwight D. Eisenhower

No flame just the truth.

If you load inviso mods on you machine and I load Bermans mods on mine. I still see cool Shermans and you are the one who sees nothing. Even though you are playing the AMI's

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Kryton of Red Dwarf

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

FLAME

And BTW it is easy: Just take the BMP's you want to invisiblise and then dump them with pink!

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Damn it! I'm such an idiot! (immitating Chris Farley)

I should have known that the tanks would only be invisible to me! It's even that way in Quake 3 I believe. When you play an internet game, if the person doesn't have the inviso skin on their comp (or any other custom skin/character model), the game just defaults to a model the do have-usually "sarge" or "grunt".

I'm a Friggin Moron!!!!!!!!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Guy w/gun (edited 03-06-2001).]

That reminds me of the guy who called me "cheater" when playing Counterstrike after me killing him in the same spot for the 5th time...

When I asked hem why, he told me that he made a complete black modell and so I SHOULD not be able to see him in a dark corner...

After he said that, he was shot by his own teammates... smile.gif

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

*Opens Closet*

*Pulls out asbestos jump suit*

*Puts it on, zips it up*

Ok. Now that I've taken some precautions...HERE GOES!

Has anybody ever considered making unit mods that cause the unit to be invisible? Just as a goof, not to win serious games or anything. There are quite a few invisible character skins floating around for Quake 3, and they made me think of the possibilities in CM.

I realize that the TacAI would still "see" he units but in a PBEM or TCP game, invisible units would really play a trick on your opponent (and cause him or her to remove you from they're opponent list wink.gif)

Tanks would be prime targets for the "inviso" treatment. They'd probably be easier to do than infantry, and have the a huge impact if they were made invisible. I guess you would have to leave some part of the tank (top or back maybe) visible so you could see it. Or just play with unit bases on.

Can it be done? I am no mod maker, so I ask everyone who is.

This has got to be the classic CM post of all time.

I think we should frame it and put it on a webpage at CMHQ under classic posts smile.gifsmile.gif

Regards,

GB

“Zaphod put on the glasses. They were a double pair of Joo Janta 200 Superchromatic Peril-Sensitive sunglasses, which had been specifically designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might harm you.”

-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the end of the universe

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Thank you guys. This is why I come here every day. To see people stick their foot in their mouth on a scale rivaling my own...

I just love life.... smile.gif

[This message has been edited by *Captain Foobar* (edited 03-06-2001).]

Originally posted by LongLeftFlank:

“Zaphod put on the glasses. They were a double pair of Joo Janta 200 Superchromatic Peril-Sensitive sunglasses, which had been specifically designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might harm you.”

-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the end of the universe

Nah... who needs the fancy glasses when all you really need is a towel...

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

Hey, even though it wouldn't work in the way I thought it would...you have to admit it would be a funny trick to play and it's still theoretically possible.

Think about it. Even though the bmps on their comp is what determines what they see, it could still be done. IF you had access to their computer.

If you were to replace their King Tiger textures with the inviso ones...think of the possibilities! Klingon Cats of Prey that can fire while clocked! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! biggrin.gif

The easy way to do it is just play with vehicles turned off...

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Its already in the game.

You guys think this is funny? It is no kidding matter and invisible units are real! How many times have your tanks got knocked out without you ever seeing where it came from? Hidden units? Bah! Invisible units.

CM prides itself on historical accuracy. They even threw in the units that were never seen! You can't find mention of them in the reference books, because no one saw it!

I've prepared a mod of my first invisible unit. I think its far better than the CM original...

------------ <--- Screen shot

------------

German SS Panzergrenadier, Invisible

I'm looking for a web site to host it. Its 0.0 Kbytes big, so its a very fast download.

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 03-07-2001).]

One other thing here. Assuming you could get these inviso mods on your opponents computer (right!) they would not see your tank and therefore would be putting in orders as if it wasn't there. But...the AI would "see" it and override your opponents orders in self preservation. The mods are just a graphical representation of whats going on inside the computer. I believe the AI would still be able to target it as it always does.

Originally posted by sluggo:

I believe the AI would still be able to target it as it always does.

Of course. And even if your opponent won't see your invisible tanks, he will see the muzzle flash of their main guns, the tracers from the MGs, targeting lines, unit bases, those "last contact" markers, and he can even select the invisible tank by clicking on it (not that hard once you see the targeting lines). So it really wouldn't help you all that much. Nice try though. tongue.gif

Dschugaschwili

I use the Invisible characteristics of Vehicles now.

Below is a paste from an email I sent a friend yesterday;

You have probably found this "trick" of area fire on vehicles, but I will

tell you anyway.

Have you noticed that if you attempt to area fire very close to a target,

your target line will "jump" to the target? Say, for example, if I want to

lay 60 mm mortar fire on an AFV, and directly target the AFV, nearly every

time the mortar will stop firing if there is no kill chance. Sometimes I

just want to pound the bastard to keep it buttoned while maneuvering against

the tank, so sustained mortar fire is desired for harrasment value.

Solution, stroke the keys "Shift+V" to make vehicles invisible, and then I

area target the damned center of the AFV location.

This also can allow you to "shoot around the corner" better. The target line jump being eliminated allows you to get closer with area fire against those vehicle targets just outside of the firing LOS. I have made some sneaky kills of the weakly armored targets this way.

I have seriously considered doing transparent mods for some AFVs, just to see what it would look like with "invisibility paint, the perfect camouflage" on them.

Leaving the tracks visible, and adding stains of dirt, this could look really cool.

Another option is to play vs the AI, with the opponent force all blanked out, for extra FOW...

(If you want total FOW, just turn off your screen. biggrin.gif)