BTS should release a "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" type expansion.

Subject stolen gratuitously from Polar's post in the Brumbar thread. This would be cool, as most of these weapons have been presented in ahistorical light, and BTS could clear things up for us. For everyone who's ever wanted:

T35s.

SturmTigers, SturmTigers, SturmTigers.

That honkin' great American 4-tread monster.

Maus.

E100(?)

Panther II

Panther/IR

Granted, CM2 is in the way, but what a fun expansion this would be afterward.

------------------

"My mortar refuses to fire! He's Yellow!"

-Me

"Send him to CM2."

-Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Subject stolen gratuitously from Polar's post in the Brumbar thread. This would be cool, as most of these weapons have been presented in ahistorical light, and BTS could clear things up for us. For everyone who's ever wanted:

That honkin' great American 4-tread monster.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya Baby. The T28:

dmt28-1.jpg

Thanks, but no thanks.

What would be really cool, and also an idea that SWOTL had, was to have a campaign where the actions of the player's unit (be it a company, battalion or brigade) affect the ebb and flow of the entire European campaign.

I don't see what fun it would be trying to get a Maus through a narrow European village street - or over a wooden bridge (!) (!) (!)

;)

The one technical problem with this suggestion (and others for "expansion packs") is that those people who purchased the SWOTL-like CM upgrade would be running a different executable. The additional models, etc. would probably cause problems (PBEM, TCP/IP) with those who don't have this particular "option". It could possibly be worked out, but I believe that the effort required to do this would be more than it's worth.

Not to slam the idea of additional vehicles, etc. But there are technical difficulties in implementing any "optional" add-on packs with CM's architecture.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 01-22-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I don't see what fun it would be trying to get a Maus through a narrow European village street - or over a wooden bridge (!) (!) (!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's why most of CM is about blowing up tanks, with only limited aspects of CM being related to watching tanks fall into rivers or get stuck on streets or rust in open fields in the South.

For the Grogs, you could see if Hitler should have geared the industry toward ubertanks sooner. For the rest of us, you get to see the business end of a 38cm mortar.

As for the campaign, you give Pal Woje a couple more months and his CMMC will be fully automated and extensible, at which point BTS will be forced to support it! Muahahhaahah!! Wait, sorry, got a little carried away there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

The one technical problem with this suggestion (and others for "expansion packs") is that those people who purchased the SWOTL-like CM upgrade would be running a different executable. The additional models, etc. would probably cause problems (PBEM, TCP/IP) with those who don't have this particular "option". It could possibly be worked out, but I believe that the effort required to do this would be more than it's worth.

Not to slam the idea of additional vehicles, etc. But there are technical difficulties in implementing any "optional" add-on packs with CM's architecture.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like any other add-on, you could only play against someone with the add-on. This would prevent guys like me from throwing the T35 into a normal game with some unsuspecting mark. Anyone who wants to play their vanilla CM2 would just run the old executable (Like when you need to play a 1.05 game or somefink now).

------------------

"My mortar refuses to fire! He's Yellow!"

-Me

"Send him to CM2."

-Mace

[This message has been edited by Elijah Meeks (edited 01-22-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

eek.gif oh.........dear............god eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it was only experimental, but something I would love to see:

Haupt. Hans sits in his KingTiger talking to Gunner Gunther: Ja, de Americaners will attack with their little tin can Shermans, and we will shoot the hell out of them and paint more kill rings on the barrel.

Over the hill comes the rumble of something big.

Gunther: Sir, that doesn't sound like a Sherman.

The T28 rumbles into view

Hans: What the … Gunner, target 12 O-clock, 600 meters. Fire.

The shell bounces off of the 1 foot thick, sloped frontal armor. The T28 then puts a 105mm AP round strait through the front of the KT.

Sigh, I can dream can't I.

Guest Andrew Hedges

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlow:

The shell bounces off of the 1 foot thick, sloped frontal armor. The T28 then puts a 105mm AP round strait through the front of the KT.

Sigh, I can dream can't I. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there was an AP round for the T-28; it fired the same round as the Sherm 105.

But it would be fun to see the ponderous German uebertanks actually be able to flank something. smile.gif

I know it was only experimental, but something I would love to see:

Haupt. Hans sits in his KingTiger talking to Gunner Gunther: Ja, de Americaners will attack with their little tin can Shermans, and we will shoot the hell out of them and paint more kill rings on the barrel.

Over the hill comes the rumble of something big.

Gunther: Sir, that doesn't sound like a Sherman.

The T28 rumbles into view

Hans: What the … Gunner, target 12 O-clock, 600 meters. Fire.

Sigh, I can dream can't I. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hans, what is that big turtle looking thing flipped over in the river by the crushed bridge.

Uhh, maybe it is a new portable bridge the allies are using. Whatever desrtoyed that steel span bridge was one tough bugger. Let's get out of here before it comes back.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 01-22-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I don't think there was an AP round for the T-28; it fired the same round as the Sherm 105.

But it would be fun to see the ponderous German uebertanks actually be able to flank something. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was. The T28 used a T5E1 4 inch (105mm) cannon based on a naval weapon, with bagged charges and a range of essentially naval shells, including a delayed action armour penetration shell.

Anyone who has played a Navy game may think -- 4 inch guns were nuthin. But a 4 inch gun, as opposed to a 105 howitzer, fired point blank, could put a round through one side and out the other of a Fletcher destroyer (not very many cases of it firing point blank though, mostly it would have to do indirect fire and rely on plunging hits.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

But it would be fun to see the ponderous German uebertanks actually be able to flank something. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slappy beat me to it, but here goes anyway:

The T28 - 1 x 105mm T5E1 L/67 (muzzle velocity 3700fps)

M4(105) - 105 mm howitzer (don't know the designation, but a hell of a lot lower)

I didn't find anything on the penetration of the T28's gun, but you don't build a 3700fps gun to fire HE.

Also, as far as flanking, it has 8 inch side armor, and 4 inch thick skirts.

[This message has been edited by Marlow (edited 01-22-2001).]

Slappy beat me to it, but here goes anyway:

The T28 - 1 x 105mm T5E1 L/67 (muzzle velocity 3700fps)

M4(105) - 105 mm howitzer (don't know the designation, but a hell of a lot lower)

I didn't find anything on the penetration of the T28's gun, but you don't build a 3700fps gun to fire HE.

Also, as far as flanking, it has 8 inch side armor, and 4 inch thick skirts.

[This message has been edited by Marlow (edited 01-22-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It had a cross country speed of 3.5 miles per hour and took 2 minutes to pivot 180 degrees.

I'd much rather that any "expansion pack" to CMBO would include the US M15/M16 AA halftracks first.

Sure, the Brumbar would be interesting to see. But that and other such rare birds should wait until rarity factor scoring is applied later on in CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

No, I was just thinking about it on the game board. Little Panthers circle it as it spins around in the dirt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still, it would have its uses:

Major, that strong point up ahead has about a dozen 88mm pillboxes.

No problem Capt. Were sending up the T28.

Actually, IRRC, wasn't assaulting fortifications its intended use anyway?

Still, it would have its uses:

Major, that strong point up ahead has about a dozen 88mm pillboxes.

No problem Capt. Were sending up the T28.

Actually, IRRC, wasn't assaulting fortifications its intended use anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. The pacific war was much different than europe. Each meter was fought over. So the speed and rotation of a tank was not a concern. Blowing up caves with one shell was.

Agreed. This wsa just a little flight of fancy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well then. To better get into the spirit of things, let's give the Commonwealth side Centurion tanks (with 17 or 20-lbr guns?) and let them fight it out with Soviet JS-III's in a "postwar" setting.

biggrin.gif

Ya pack of nongs! wink.gif

According to my references, the T28 was designed solely for punching holes in the siegfried line, not for blowing up other tanks.

Think of it as the USA's answer to the Churchill AVRE, only bigger, meaner and with more gumption (much like us Aussies).

Unfortunately for the designers of this AFV, someone was inconsiderate enough to bypass the Siegfried Line while it the T28 was being developed and subsequently the project was discontinued.

Mace