Kick me

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I get it. We're supposed to laugh at the photo and forget the 6 million plus crimes against humanity that that jerk was guilty of.

If anyone is interested, a truly great and yet subtle WW II movie is called "Truce". It's the true story of a guy who was liberated from Auschwitz by the Russians and it tells of his epic journey just to return to Italy and a normal life. BTW, he was a partisan fighting the fascists in Italy and not even a Jew.

I have tremendous respect for the warrior spirit within all warriors. I even like playing both sides in CM, but it can be too easy to gloss things over and to forget what really happened. I have absolutely no respect for cowards who sytematically murder innocent men, women, and children. I never have and I never will.

Jumbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have tremendous respect for the warrior spirit within all warriors. I even like playing both sides in CM, but it can be too easy to gloss things over and to forget what really happened. I have absolutely no respect for cowards who sytematically murder innocent men, women, and children. I never have and I never will.

Jumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say that the opposite is true. People are obsessed with the Nazis and the various personalities, judging from the number of films and books produced about them.

Thats for the link to the website. My friends and I got a chuckle out of it. Love that sophomoric humor!!

This has nothing to do with the picture he posted. I'm staying out of that discussion.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Jumbo lighten up sheeesh...

how come you cant see the humor in the pic..

all though the note should be in german..

so I think that it was the sas that put it there I don't think Goering could write in english.. smile.gif

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

Good lord Jumbo, nobody is asking you to forget anything. Just take the picture as what it is, an attempt at humor, and not as some kind of plot to demean anyone (Except Hitler) who was involved in WWII. I think that most everyone in this forum has a good bit of respect for all those who participated in WWII, and that photo does nothing to change that. Besides, that was pretty darn tame compared to the things that were printed back then.

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

I'm not really as upset as some think that I am. When I saw it at first, I chuckled like everyone else. Then I remembered what that man stood for. Don't you? We should never forget it lest we be doomed to repeat it.

He was absolutely the most evil person that existed in the last century. Associating him with any kind of light-hearted humor takes away from how he should be remembered. With the photo, you see the joke and not the man and what he did.

Jumbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevetherat:

No politics on this thread please.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

Pointing out what that man did is not politics. History is not politics. The Holocaust was not politics. They were real world events. No one made them up.

Jumbo

Jumbo,

At the risk of throwing fuel on the fire, your vitriolic statements are in line with those supported by the culture that you condemn. You're correct that the photo's only purpose is humor, so what? Humor is a laudable goal and should be pursued.

Your implication is that human beings are simplistic enough to hold only one thought about one person in their tiny minds. This, in itself, is simplistic. (Gee, Marv, I used to hate that Hitler guy, now I think he's a hoot.)

"Absolutely the most evil person that existed in the last century..."

How do you quantify evil? He's certainly the most visible embodiment of evil in the last century, but I'm not sure I could rank him. What do you do with Stalin, or Pol Pot, or countless others?

In any case, I don't think anyone's going to forget Hitler's legacy anytime soon. I'm quite certain you don't have to worry about that.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Nice one, StR . . . but you should be sending me a file, dammit! Not mucking around with humor!

And as a sop to Jumbo, would it be better if it said "Shoot Me" ?

------------------

"The Secret of the Empire was revealed: an emperor, it seemed, could be made outside of Rome"

Jumbo, I can't exactly say 'No history please'. I meant that this is not a multi-levelled picture with subliminal undertones saying 'Vote Naziism'. It's just a funny pic.

But anyway, how was your day? Mine was busy with some quiet bits. The weather here is very cold, but short of Siberian standards. Lots of sun and blue sky though.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumbo:

He was absolutely the most evil person that existed in the last century. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to give that ignominious distinction to Stalin. Hitler's a close second though.

Gimp

If nothing else, the picture should especially appeal to anybody who really hates Hitler, as it pokes fun at the little ugly troll.

*shrug*

I mean, how humiliating would that have been? I would have paid good money to have somebody do that for REAL! biggrin.gif

"Hey frog-boy, I mean Adolf, I'm sure you'll do well"

*slaps back*

*supresses chuckle*

"Cough... Well, um... go out there then!"

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

------------------------

"If you find yourself alone, riding through green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumbo:

If anyone is interested, a truly great and yet subtle WW II movie is called "Truce". It's the true story of a guy who was liberated from Auschwitz by the Russians and it tells of his epic journey just to return to Italy and a normal life. BTW, he was a partisan fighting the fascists in Italy and not even a Jew.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really wouldn't consider Russians to be much more heroes, we shouldn't forget that Stalin was behind Holocaust too. Even greater one than Hitlers. Too bad no one remembers that, thanks to his Allied friends who made him look like angel compared to Adolf.

-- MS. --

Jumbo, maybe you looked passed the point of it, or I read too much into it. I didn't take it as good natured humor, I took it as a condemnation of his ignorance, and those who followed him. I didn't create the joke ofcourse, but that was my interpretation. Oh, and yes I think it was funny, and in as much as this forum has begun to be a place where if someone says "good morning it's Jan 16", twenty people immediately post that it ain't so, and it's gamey, and all manner of nonsense, I'd say Stevetherat did us all a favor and put a little chuckle into the place. To wit, you served your purpose I suppose and reminded us all how deadly serious this forum is. Thank you both.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-16-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

I really wouldn't consider Russians to be much more heroes, we shouldn't forget that Stalin was behind Holocaust too.

-- MS. --<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since everyone is in the mood to be offended, why not myself?

Excuse me, did you say RUSSIANS? Surely, you meant SOVIETS, or better yet COMMUNISTS. Because quite frankly, I DO consider the RUSSIANS to be heroic, I mean they only did in - what? - 85% of the German forces? Yub, thats it. All without training and bad equipment from the beginning. I'd say thats pretty damn heroic, willing to fight to the death for ones' country, even if it is under a cruel COMMUNIST regime?

Yes, STALIN THE COMMUNIST was really really bad. Of course, since he killed mostly RUSSIANS and never kept death camps visited by Americans, that was never made a big deal of. The purges of the 30's come to mind...

On a related note, I didnt think the pic was very funny (kick me jokes stopped being funny for me in the 5th grade), but neither did I find it offensive.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 01-16-2001).]

But see, I think we're all making a mistake in singling out only one man, or one political party as "evil."

Hitler and Stalin were products of their TIMES. Everything they did was influenced by their culture, upbringing, and the people around them.

If you were Hitler, you would have done the exact same things he did.

I know that sounds dumb, and perhaps overstating the obvious, but I'm a firm believer that people just don't suddenly become killers because they choose to, it can only be attributed to their surroundings and the other people of the time.

The simple fact is, if Hitler was REALLY, and TRULY hated by the people of Germany, he couldn't have done ANY of the things he did. The odd, and somewhat disturbing, fact is that Hitler was idolized by millions of people. And it's from those people, who actually held many of the same beliefs as he did, that he attained his power and the ability to carry out the attrocious deeds that he did.

One man alone can't be evil, he needs to get his power from somewhere, and that power comes from society and his supporters. Society breeds the hate, and it must be monitored more closely than any Hitler, or Stalin.

Thanks,

Jim