Can anyone recommend a fun Battle of the Bulge Scenario?

In the Winter where the Allies are defending and the Germans are on the offensive.

I would like to play a scenario where I can play the Allies on the defense against the AI attacking in the snow as the Germans.

Can anyone recomend a few good historical scenario's? ANy new custom designed historical scenario's out there I may have missed?

And who is that has the motherload of those converted ASLâ„¢ scenario conversions that can no longer be downloaded that I could request they could e-mail me smile.gif ?

Thanks!

-tom w

"Debut of the Jadgtiger" is kind of fun as the Allied defender against the German AI attacker. Don't expect too much from it though, your biggest(only) problem will be dealing with that beast. I would recommend giving the AI a +25% advantage, that would probably increase the challenge just enough. I played with no advantage and wish I had given the AI a bonus afterwards, YMMV.

Edit: it's set in snow conditions.

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 03-05-2001).]

Guest Rommel22

Yes, I made 2!!!

One is called Baugnez the other is Manshau. They are historicly accurate and both of thses villages are important part of the German advance. If you want these scnerios go to my website, they are available for download!!!

Hope you like them!

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Without appearing too self-serving, I suggest going to MadMatt's site and d/l my Parker's Crossroads. I believe you will find it quite a challenge as the American forces defending against a German attack. Let me know what you think.

-LeBlaque

Check out the Belgian CM site below:

http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm

These are the first Bulge game maps I've seen that look like the pictures and descriptions I have in my books. They don't have snow but I change that with the scenario editor. I find that when someone converts ASL scenarios to CM the maps seem way too flat. Compare the ones from this site with ASL conversions covering the same battles.

The site hasn't been updated since October. Does anyone know what happened to the author?

Originally posted by Victor Semensi:

Check out the Belgian CM site below:

http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm

These are the first Bulge game maps I've seen that look like the pictures and descriptions I have in my books. They don't have snow but I change that with the scenario editor.

Much of the terrain was NOT covered with snow during the Bulge, depending on where you were. There doesn't appear to have been much snow in Europe that winter. It was, however, cold. I have a weather chart on my website that shows the situation in Holland where the Black Watch of Canada spent the winter. Same deal; the snow days are shown in blue. They are few in number.

This was an issue with the ASL module Kampfgruppe Peiper - the designer's notes state clearly that ground snow simply wasn't present (or wasn't a factor).

------------------

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission

Peiper broke through, and then was cut up, in the very first phase of the battle. There was snow on the ground before Christmas, and the Germans were still attacking in some places into the 2nd week of January. That was after the main drive had failed, but they attacked to hold the salient open while troops withdrew (e.g. near Bastogne and southeast of it).

Another scenario set in the Bulge is my lame effort, "Get the Guns". To entice players who want a challenge, I will state that to date, no one has done better as the Americans - against the AI - than a tactical German victory. Including me. (Yes, I may rebalance it later - but in the meantime, it is a challenge).

Tom,

You forget rune evilness. I have one being tested, is historical, but huge. It is the attack on positions between St. Vith and Schoeberg, called assault on st. vith. Let me know if you want to test it.

Rune

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

And who is that has the motherload of those converted ASLâ„¢ scenario conversions that can no longer be downloaded that I could request they could e-mail me smile.gif ?

Thanks!

-tom w

I just e-mailed you the most recent PBEM pack for ASL2CM.

Hope Hasbro doesn't find out.

Henry

WOW

Holy Crap!

I will never find time to play all these scenarios. (But I will try!)

Thanks to ALL

Thanks Rune, I do hope to find time to try your big scenario.

Thanks Also to Henry K and Freak for the e-mail of the Scenario conversion from "That Other WWII Squad Level Combat Board Game" smile.gif

I still have not indulged in a GOOD Battle of the Bulge scenario in CM and now that v1.12 is final I plan to sit down and savour one good historical bulge Scenario as the Americans.

Thanks again to ALL!

smile.gif

-tom w

You'll find some historic Bulge scenarios on my website - http://www.gamesofwar.de "Merry x-mas at Hemroule" which somebody mentioned above from the CD is from me as well.

As for snow, I believe the first snow fell around x-mas but it didn't really play an important role until early January. January was the snow-heaviest month, it seems, with a lot of deep mud conditions in Feb. However, I do have a few pictures from the Ardennes with a lot of snow on it - they claim to be from the early days of the Battle, but of course how can somebody prove that?

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

If you have the time, play Stoumont. There are two versions of it around and I believe that it is based on a ASL Kampfgruppe Peiper campaign.

It's long, nervewracking and you will come to hate a certain little Sanitarium building.

p.

Originally posted by Airborne:

McAuliffe got a new job and fell off the planet. Hope he turns up. His scenarios are great.

Eric is still around, now living in Antwerp instead of Luxembourg. I corresponded with him a few weeks ago seeking advice on a trip to the Ardennes. He was very helpful.

BTW, he mentioned that his Bulge scenarios are geared for CM ver. 1.05. Also that he is trying to do some new ones. Let's encourage him.

I plan to play his scenarios, even if I have to reload 1.05 to do it.

------------------

There are good reasons why the movie was called "Patton" rather than "Hodges".

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Just so you know, Lawyer, you can play any scenario from a current or earlier version of CM. But you could not play a scenario made with 1.12 if you were running an earlier version, like 1.05, etc.

Thank you. That was my next question. It will make playing them easier.

------------------

There are good reasons why the movie was called "Patton" rather than "Hodges".