Normandy Mod stuff

Hi everyone,

I thought it may be easier to answer some of your queries in a new thread.

I intended the mod as an occasional alternative to peoples usual terrain set up, not as a replacement. I only made textures for and tested it with Normandy scenarios set at the height of summer (June, July and August)in primarily a rural environment. I avoided doing urban stuff as I do not like those types of scenario. I think urban areas look generally bad in the game (too little variety)and feel a little too abstract. I'm much happier with the villages, hedges and fields!

If you use the terrain for other seasons it is going to start looking odd as original game graphics will begin to be substituted instead (like autumn trees and bases). Thats why I made this set in the first place, to make a colour-coordinated set of grass and trees and skies that did not clash. The idea behind this is that the autumn mod terrain set would reflect where the fighting was by September and later. Perhaps a new set of matching grass and trees, buildings and skies for Holland during the Market Garden operation for example. The winter terrain would thus cover the Ardennes campaign and the spring mod the drive into Germany.

Those white spots in the woodland tree bases are meant to be there, they were supposed to be summer flowers but I guess it did not work as well as I hoped !

The mod was made to look best viewed from ground level so I was not too concernerd about tiling patterns in the grass from higher viewpoints. If I can reduce this effect in future stuff I will of course.

Some of the terrain did not get as much time spent on it as other bits. In the end I decided to call it a day as otherwise I would still be tinkering around with it.

The good thing for me is that now folks have the mod I can make occasional replacement elements available such as new buildings,improved scrub/brush terrain, trees etc without the effort involved in planning and making a complete new set each time.

Well no matter what you do with it I'll be very pleased if the mod has contributed to your enjoyment of the game!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyStrike:

Its an absolutely beautiful mod Magua, and I think I'll find myself playing most of my scenarios in the Summer of '44 from now on! By far the most realistic-looking terrain set available. Huge thanks for the obvious effort you've put in!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed true *drool*. Am looking forward to playing CM with this set of MODS.

Excellent stuff from Magua.

Magua,

Your grass (not subdued) still works in autumn with some of the other subdued mods out there (Kump's and Gunslinger's in particular). I plan on using the grass and most of the terrain and tree mods all the time. Summer months looks so good in CM now. If only autumn did as well. ;) (hint, hint).

Again, truly excellent work. Thank you.

I think it is a good idea Magua, to have a variable terrain for a specific purpose, and it looks outstanding. Only problem I've encountered is CRC Zip errors from Winzip7.0, on files 3 and 6 from Outpost. I sent you the error report attachment. As a result, the crc error causes those particular files to remain unzipped. Appreciate your looking into it. Thanks

Bruno...These two files are hosted at CM OUTPOST. I have sent you an email with the direct links to another set of 3 & 6 files that are from COMBAT MISSIONS. Hope this fixes your problem.

Some other people have had problems with these two zips (see Major Announcement thread).

Sorry to hear about the file problems some of you are having with the zips. I doubt I can contribute anything helpful regarding this to Manx and Dragoon though, but of courseI will do anything I can.

Tree Bases

Yeah I thought those brighter green textures for the scattered tree bases were appropriate to the Normandy scenery as they were suggestive of orchards. I also wanted to find a way of getting some brighter highlights into the landscape without effecting the base grass colours too much.

Mr Johnson I think the subdued grass is already the same res as the original game textures?

Yeah, Panzer, how did you fix that? There were a couple trees that showed the dreaded pink spots on my Mac. I managed to fix all of them in Photoshop EXCEPT for 536. I've tried repainting the pink on that file twice now, to no avail. Maybe I'm just missing something. :confused:

Other than the pink-fringed tree, the mod looks great! The entire terrain--the buildings especially--make the surroundings really evocative and cohesive, as well as realistic. Fantastic!

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

You have Photoshop and you couldn't fix it? wow I just used Graphic Converter. All of the pink in it was one bit off and I just uesd the thing that copys colour and then swiched it. I didn't take the time to take all the little pink spots out of the tree it self but the stuff around it I fixed if you want I can send it to you.

That would be swell if you could send it to me at andrew@foxarts.com .

The whole tree (and it's just this one file: 536) has a semi-transparent pink rectangle around it, that is, alternating puink and transparent pixels. It's pretty bizarre, especially as I repainted the whole transparent surround with the proper color, TWICE! As I said before, some of the other trees were doing the same thing, which I fixed with no problem. I'm probably just overlooking something really simple... smile.gif

Its on the way as I found out only 536 was the problem. ;) I am still going to get the little pink spots out of the tree it self but thats work for anther day... as it would take a hole one.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

The color on 536.bmp is indeed off by one bit - FE02FD instead of FF00FF. I managed to fix it in Macromedia Fireworks by selecting every bit that was FE02FD, deleting it and then resetting the background as FF00FF. Anyone who needs the corrected file can e-mail me and I'll send it along.

Sorry about the tree problem guys, I should have remembered from earlier mods that mac version is a little more sensitive about the range of pink/purple colours. Visual checks on the PC did'nt show them of course.

Is it just 536?, if not can someone tell me the bmp numbers and I will try to correct the problem.

Cheers