Call for participants: Nordic Championships

The Nordic Championships organizing team - Treeburst155, Wild Bill Wilder, and yours truly - proudly presents:

The first official CM Nordic Championships

Yes, it is here! Get your umlauts together and sharpen your skis. Will the über-Finns reign or will they just drink too much and shoot their own leg with Suomi SMGs? Have the Swedes perfected their tactics during the quieter centuries or have they just gotten sloppy? Are the Danes masters of the flatland or is the smörgåsbord just too tempting? What about the Norwegians or the Icelanders? Will the Rockefellers manage others out, or could the Geysirssons give a cold shower to the whole lot?

The Championships feature

1. A level of evil gameplay never seen before - unbalanced scenarios scored by the new scoring system described here. The scoring system is currently being used in Wild Bill's Rumblings of War, but the Nordic Championships is the first tournament with specifically designed, truly unbalanced scenarios.

2. Five brand new, (possibly) unbalanced scenarios in the first round, two by Wild Bill Wilder, master of disaster, and three by yours truly. Suspense like you've never seen before. Think you know how much firepower the enemy has? Think again, a surprise might be just around the corner. Or then again, it might not be. In this tournament, you never know. You just have to be on your toes, like a real commander would be.

3. A second playoff round to determine the final winner from the top performers of the first round. The details of this second round will be given later.

4. Top quality, reliable, professional tournament management by Treeburst155. This guy has the ability to keep the show on the road. Secured scenarios (no hope of cheating), opponent pairing, keeping track of scores etc.

It all starts on the 11th of November. We have room for a maximum of 24 players, who will be divided into groups of six players for the first round. Players - which, ahem, have to be people from the Nordic countries - will be accepted into the tournament in the order in which they post into this thread. So post now, if you desire to be called The CM Nordic Master.

This tournament will be remembered. At least for as long as the Eurovision song contest.

On behalf of the CM Nordic Championships organizing team,

Nabla

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Nabla ]</p>

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a true Norwegian, I will be happy to accept this challenge by my fellow norsemen ;)

BTW, should it not be a Nordic Championship (Scandinavia is just Norway, Sweden and Denmark, IIRC)?

Thanks for the invitation, hope for some good gaming in the cold wintermonths.

Cheers,

Jens

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Heibis:

BTW, should it not be a Nordic Championship (Scandinavia is just Norway, Sweden and Denmark, IIRC)?

<hr></blockquote>

Heck yes, that name did cross my mind but I discarded it since people from Alaska and other northern places immediately popped into my mind. But Nordic it should be, and I'll edit into the opening post.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ciks:

Can guys from across the Baltics participate too?<hr></blockquote>

We'll count you in. If we happen to get more than 24 participants we'll have to prefer people from the Nordic countries. Does that sound fair?

If we get more than 24 people we'll arrange Baltic Championships next smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by vskalex:

Ok, what the hell. Totally unexperienced, just started fy first PBEM's. I just hope someone else do the scoring bit :D Oh, and Sweden for me.<hr></blockquote>

This is not team game, just individuals. Well, of course the winner will wave his flag for a full round around the arena :D

You've still got plenty of time to practise.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph Porta:

Hmmm... Green but interested. Are we talking PBEM or TCP/whatever here ?

Oh, and that makes two Norwegians :cool: <hr></blockquote>

Treeburst155 will fill in the details, but we will most probably use similar rules to those in Wild Bill's Rumblings of War:

"The games can be played PBEM or TCP/IP but no player is required to agree to a TCP/IP game. You must be willing to PBEM if your opponent wishes."

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nabla:

We'll count you in. If we happen to get more than 24 participants we'll have to prefer people from the Nordic countries. Does that sound fair?

If we get more than 24 people we'll arrange Baltic Championships next smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

OK, i'll swim across the sea if there is no free spot for me ;)

As for Baltic championships, i feel i'm the only one here after my Estonian PBEM oponent Rebane disappeared without a trace. :(

Sounds good, never too many unbalanced scenarios around. Count me in if the time schedule is not too tight? (Any estimates about how long participants have for completing the first set of matches, btw?)

Topi -- yet another Finn

Sounds good, never too many unbalanced scenarios around. Count me in if the time schedule is not too tight? (Any estimates about how long participants have for completing the first set of matches, btw?)

Topi -- yet another Finn

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Topi:

Count me in if the time schedule is not too tight? (Any estimates about how long participants have for completing the first set of matches, btw?)

<hr></blockquote>

No, not yet. I think the implicit deadline is is the increasing interest in CM2 once it appears. On the other hand, nothing stops us from playing the second round in CM2 :D

But seriously, Treeburst155 has a lot of experience on realistic play deadlines, so we'll listen to what he has to say once he's online.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Uh.. I'm of Swedish, Norweigan and Prussian descent. Does that count? Is Chicago far enough north to count as Nordic?<hr></blockquote>

We seem to have a number of these borderline cases. Under pressure a surprising number of people seem to crack and admit some Nordic connections or sympathy for the Nordic people. ;)

We'll count you in by default. If we get more than 24 participants then we'll see what we'll do. Ok?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Peter Svensson:

I'm Swedish, and I'd like to take part, but I'm not sure I have the time. What's the deadline for applications?

<hr></blockquote>

Let's say that the deadline is next Wednesday, 7.11.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Peter Svensson:

How about making it the Vodka Belt Championship, the stronger cousin of the Winecape tournaments?<hr></blockquote>

Not a bad idea. I don't think we have any vodka manufacturers here, do we? But we have not yet decided on the material award (fame and power not included), and this is a strong ;) candidate.