Call for participants: Nordic Championships

Ok, still being a newb regarding PBEM so here goes:

1. Does the previously mentioned battleorder still stand? Then I would be playing Heibis as the Allies, correct?

2. Regarding AAR:s: How detailed is praxis? Are we talking one page or fifty? Any examples that you can steal from ;)

Ok, let the battle commence - Bring it on!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The schedule may change if Nabla can improve the program. The sections will remain the same however.

AARs will receive 1/2 "tourney point" for fairly detailed AARs. If you write two or three good pages you will get full credit. Brief AARs will receive only 1/4 point. With five scenarios it is possible to get 2.5 tourney points added to your final score for AARs. It is somewhat difficult to tell how significant 2.5 extra points will be at the end, but I think you will find that it is worth it to write at least a few. I determined AAR value by running some hypothetical tourneys. I want AARs to help out your score, but I don't want them to win the tournament for you unless you are in a close race.

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The schedule may change if Nabla can improve the program. The sections will remain the same however.

<hr></blockquote>

The improvement should be ready today, but at the latest it will be available tomorrow.

Hello again!

It seems (once again) that you probably can't get everything in life smile.gif . So for now we'll stick with the original schedule. See this page for an explanation. (I try to keep discussions concerning the tournament system in the same thread so that people can read the whole story there.)

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Nabla ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by vskalex:

Little clarification needed: When will it start?

Are we on go, or still waiting for Nablas update?

<hr></blockquote>

The schedule is optimal for six players, so no changes are coming.

The planned launch date is the 11th of November. We are still aiming for that. However, because of the schedule thing (which took some time) we (at least I) have to work hard until that.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nabla:

The schedule is optimal for six players, so no changes are coming.

The planned launch date is the 11th of November. We are still aiming for that. However, because of the schedule thing (which took some time) we (at least I) have to work hard until that.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks! Getting cold here in the Nordic Trenches waiting for distant sound of engines starting up...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tero:

Den glider in, den glider in..... :D <hr></blockquote>

Ahh, the finnish humour :rolleyes:

Sorry mate, no icehockey for me, only footy (soccer to our beloved Americans). Oh, and by the way, can you please show the way to Japan? :cool:

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: vskalex ]</p>

About gamey practises:

Can blowing up houses as you go along added to the list ?

"In order to liberate (=save) the village we had to raze it to the ground". smile.gif

I think to make things harder intentional damage to edifices should be addressed in the scenario orders.

Tero:

I think your point is that you have orders from your superiors not to destroy any public property if it's not necessary?!

If you see a building and you suspect that there is a sniper or arty spotter, wouldn't you blow up the building?

You should see Band of Brothers Episode 4, where infantry unit spots an enemy tank behind a building. Infantry soldier says to British Sherman commander to blow up the building, but Commander refuses because he has orders not to destroy property! Shermie and following Cromwell(not sure it's Cromwell) drives to the spot they would propably see the enemy tank..Boom, Boom, no more Shermie or Cromwell...

Another example from BoB episode 7:

Commander spots 2 sharpshoteers in top of building (Holes in attic level) and orders accompanying Mortars to take them out.. and they do take them out. But these American troops did not have any order to avoid destroying property.

Okay, it's a movie but still...

My opinion is it's not a gamey tactic, so blast those barns to the sky!

Ali

I've flushed out a lot of AT teams and MGs by hammering suspected enemy positions (buildings) with direct fire HE. Property damage is nothing compared to the lives of my men, even if I have to go against orders. Who is to say when it is "necessary" to blow buildings?

On defense I try to stay out of buildings until my opponent blows them up. Then I take up positions in the nice rubble. ;)

Treeburst155 out.

THE NORDIC WAR IS ON!!

I'm ready to pass out scenarios 1-3 now; and will begin doing so immediately. Scenarios 4 and 5 are not ready yet, but we have enough to get started. Arrange your games, send me an email with your FORUM name and your opponent's FORUM name to get the scenarios.

The tourney officially begins now. All AARs and final game results are due no later than Valentine's Day (February 14th).

Someone asked about AAR scoring. AARs are worth either 1/4 or 1/2 of a tourney point depending on how thorough and complete it is. Two or three good pages will get you a half point. I figure the winner will score about 12 tourney points. If you write five good AARs you will get 2.5 points tacked on to the end of your final tourney score, a nice little bonus.

We found an exploitable flaw in our scoring system which has an easy fix. Here's the new twist:

For games that do not add up to 100 points the difference will be split between the players. For example: A final score of 60-30 will be recorded as 65-35. If you can figure out why we are doing this then you have a devious and gamey mind. :D

Let the war begin!!

Treeburst155 out.

I've received so many scenario requests that I've decided to send them all out in an assembly line fasion. However, right now my outgoing email is not working. I can receive but I can't send. While I wait for the email to work I'm putting together the files and getting the letters ready.

Treeburst155 out.

There are a couple of issues I have to emphasize here before the tournament starts.

DO NOT SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SCENARIOS WITH OTHER CM PLAYERS BEFORE THE END OF THIS TOURNAMENT!!

Do not even tell your wife - she might be involved in the tournament with a strange username. :D

Because the scenarios are (possibly) unbalanced, the value of extra information is even greater in this tournament than in ordinary tournaments. A seemingly harmless message like "Holy sh.., X just knocked out my only remaining AFV with his Tiger" in the Cesspool can spoil the fun - and the results - of other players. In the WBWRW tournament this limitation has led to messages like "Holy sh.., BEEP just BEEPED my BEEP BEEP with his BEEP" - this is one way to let out the steam smile.gif

Also,

REMEMBER THAT THE SCENARIOS ARE (POSSIBLY) UNBALANCED

You might get your a.. kicked royally, but still get a good final score at the end.

Treeburst155: could you send a copy of this message to the players with email so that we can be sure that everyone knows this.

We've tried to put together an action packed thriller for you. I hope that you will enjoy this tournament. Good luck to all players!

[Edited to remove a typo.]

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Nabla ]</p>

OK, it is 0930 (GMT-6). I have 36 games ready to send out, but I am unable to do so. I have notified my ISP of the problem. Hopefully they can get me going soon.

The final two scenarios are now finished and in my hands. All I need to do is go through the somewhat tedious process of making them secure. I will do this now along with continued processing of more game requests.

Loose lips sink ships!!

Treeburst155 out.

The German player must place the .cmb file into his Saved Game or Scenario folder. He then starts the game normally, as he would start any other PBEM game, using the password I have assigned to him. Do not try to load the game as a PBEM file when starting a game. This has caused confusion in the past, and definitely won't work. If you receive a .cmb file from me just treat it like any other scenario you would download.

My email is STILL down, but I'm ready when my ISP is.

Treeburst155 out.