3 questions, slightly above newbie

Hello all,

Well, I am in 3 PBEM games, and am coming up with some quesitons that I am not finding answers to.

Exhaustion, can a unit come out of it in the course of one battle, (25 turns?)

Flanking, outside of bringing more fire to bear from a different position, does it have effect, and is the effect beyond the fire itself, or can it be unit based. (Example, same amount of potential damage from a flank based on armor vs. inf). I guess my other part of this question is there some kind of angle of attack taken into account by the AI that says both groups have a 40 degree difference in angle to start getting flanking benefits?

Lastly, can I go from building to building without going outside? (This must have been one of the first questions on the board, but alas, my poor squad in Villers Bocage can barely move around the town without the Brits hammering them.)

Thanks again, I am learning...look out!!

[CoFR]Archangel

Okay, here is what I know:

1.) I a playing a Scen where a bazooka started the game exhausted. It is now turn 15, and the guy is still exhausted, so if he recovers at all, it will still be a helluva wait.

2.) I don't quite know what you're asking but accurate physical laws apply to the angles of attack, so whatever that angle is (it prolly varies) would give you a flank attack. On infantry, flank shots, or shots from multiple angles also heightens the firepower and the chance to break the unit.

3.) Currently you have to go outside of one building to get in another. They call the ability that you want "Rabbit-holing" but say it won't happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [CoFR]Archangel:

Exhaustion, can a unit come out of it in the course of one battle, (25 turns?)

[CoFR]Archangel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, usually after a few turns it will revert to the next highest setting (Pinned?). Also, I believe a unit's morale state has an effect as well, so a routed and exhausted unit will take longer than one that is just exhausted. At least that's what I've observed.

I guess since you're semi-new at this you've probably gotten the point from this discussion not to run your guys to exaustion. It's not worth the hassle.

I will run my guys hard, if I have to, but generally that's only to gain a foothold in a meeting engagment and only (generally) if it's in a town. Otherwise, you'll generally have time to move or even sneak your guys around, especially through woods and such. I try not to let them get past "tired". However, if you only move or sneak, your guys will stay fresh and clean smelling smile.gif.

I'm not sure if this is right, but I have the feeling that tired/weary/exhausted troops recover faster if you HIDE them, apart from keeping them still.

Maybe it has something to do with the morale factor that Kingfish mentioned, they're hiding and feel safer, so they can rest more effectively?

Just an observation, would be interested in seeing if it's fact or just my impression.

Murph

1) Yes, but the speed of recovery depends on experience. If they are conscripts, you might just want to write them off.

2) Flanking fire is much more effective. Against tanks you get to shoot at thinner side armor, as well as not having their guns pointed at you.

Against infantry, flanking fire is deadly, especially when they are on the move. It is where one can see how terribly effective MG42s are.

3) No, you cannot. 'Mouse-holeing' is not simulated in CMB0. Nor do you have the principal piece the US used to do it during the war (155mm SP arty).

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

'Mouse-holeing' is not simulated in CMB0. Nor do you have the principal piece the US used to do it during the war (155mm SP arty).

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the "mouse holeing" was done by placing explosive charges against a wall inside a building. Friendly troops would then back out to protect themselves from the blast. The explosion would blow a hole in the wall and kill or shock the German troops on the other side. Then the GIs would crawl through the hole into the next room/building and do it again. The 155mm SP guns were used to blast away German strongholds when it was realized that 75mm and 76mm tank and anti-tank guns were ineffective against the heavier buildings. I happened to have read this part of "Closing with the Enemy" this morning. Doubler says it was a commonly used technique in cities like Brest and Aachen.

If you're talking real-world as well as CM, flanking fire has several advantages. You're disrupting the enemy's prepared battle line. If you were to attack head-on more of his units would probably be able to bring you under fire. From the flank, it's more likely you'd be taking individual units on piecemeal. If the flanking maneuver is coordinated with a head-on assault you'll be catching his forces from two directions. it takes time to swivel that mg or AT gun. Also, if during the battle he elects to disengage or withdraw a flank attack is likely to cut his route of retreat. Half of the effort in Napoleonic warfare was attempting to cut off an enemy's line of retreat.