My tank disappeared!!!

While playing a PBEM game I had a panzer near the side of the map and in between turns it disappeared! I wasn't on the edge but it was near. There was probably 20 meters between my tank and the map edge. The next turn in was just gone, not knocked out, not abandoned, no tank no where. I know u can move units off the map, but c'mon am I supposed to draw an imaginary margin and keep everything in the middle of the map? How am I supposed to perform flanking manuvers?? Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this? It ruined my PBEM game and that sucks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General_Petrovsky:

While playing a PBEM game I had a panzer near the side of the map and in between turns it disappeared! I wasn't on the edge but it was near. There was probably 20 meters between my tank and the map edge. The next turn in was just gone, not knocked out, not abandoned, no tank no where. I know u can move units off the map, but c'mon am I supposed to draw an imaginary margin and keep everything in the middle of the map? How am I supposed to perform flanking manuvers?? Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this? It ruined my PBEM game and that sucks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to watch that "edge hug monster"! biggrin.gif

Man that would suck!

Did it spot something and reverse off? Just a thought.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Kingfish, can I borrow Petrovsky's tank for a quick second in my PBEM game? I'm handing my opponet's axx to him, and with a panther, I could mount a counterattack and make those Amis wish they had stayed back in England until 1950.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

There have been occasional reports of units disappearing into thin air for some time now. It seems to be a rare occurance and I have not seen it myself. Could be a bug or it could be Halloween.

------------------

Most people assume that the M in US vehicle designations means "Model". Thus, the Medium Tank M4 Sherman would be the "Model #4" Medium tank. This is incorrect. The M actually stands for "Mortality" and the number represents the life expectancy of the vehicle in minutes. - Bullethead

Uh, no offense, but it's not a critical game issue.

It certainly sounds annoying, and may be a bug, but considering that this is the first time I've heard anything of the sort in the several months since CM was released, I don't think it's going to be a huge game-killer.

Send the files to BTS, if it's a bug, they'll fix it.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Kingfish, can I borrow Petrovsky's tank for a quick second in my PBEM game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry 109 Gustav,

The tank is Kaput. I had to take it out or else it would have ruined my game, so I commanded a conscript 2in mortar team to KO it. There was only one man left alive in the team, he was surounded and being shot at by 2 companies of elite SMG squads from 5 meters away, and his LOS to the tank was obscured by smoke, woods, tall pines, and a small city. Nevertheless, even after being pinned, grenaded, bombarded, routed, broken and violated he managed to lob his one remaining mortar round a distance of 5 kilometers and get top penetration hit.

General Petrovsky,

Can you send an ARV over here to drag your dead tank away? Thanks.

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

Don't tell me it's not a critical game issue when I spend all that time and effort (as well as my opponent) on a game and then it get's ruined like that. You shouldn't have to worry about losing units to the edge of the map, that's beat. Not only did it ruin this game, but now it changes my thinking for all of my other games because I won't move anything remotely near the edges in fear of this happening again. And on a small map that really limits your routes of advance. As a matter of fact I don't even want to play on small maps anymore. How do I send the game file to BTS?

Hi,

Like Joeski said:

"Did it spot something and reverse off?"

Evident... 80% chance of this being the cause, the other 19.9% is CO error ( rong imput of orders )

GP,

"...I supposed to draw an imaginary margin and keep everything in the middle of the map..."

No...but if you do abuse of the map edge,(hmmm... that 100% free of enemy flank is so tasty), these things got to happen, at least a few times smile.gif

What did you want them to do ? To hit the map edge and bounce back in ? To stop and probably be killed ? smile.gif

That tank crew just said... " We prefer to live on and fight another day, this CO is n"t$ ! "

In a battle I set up today, I lost 2 strumcompanie squads. Same thing, they were near the edge of the map. I think one of them wasn't even under fire when he disappeared. Moral: Keep a 20m buffer from the edge of the map!

Nice mortar shot, Kingfish. Oh, wait it was a 2 inch mortar. He didn't put the round right down the tank's hatch? He must have had an extra cup of coffee that day.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Guest kking199

I have lost units to the great unknown of the map edge as well, IIRC it was one of the demo games. Maybe this is a BTS addition to keep map huggers honest?!?!

You win some, you lose some, get over it!

If it's any consolation my tanks keep disappearing too. Only they disappear into these strange flaming, black clouds. smile.gif

Now thats gotta be a bug!

------------------

Torture you? That...That's a good idea.

I've had a tank disappear while I was doing my orders. All other vehicles were visible and I could select the tank with + and -, just couldn't see it! I panicked for a while, then tried turning "show vehicles" off and on again, and it came back.

Just a suggestion.