Other games to pass the time?

Guest PeterNZ

Guest PeterNZ

Hi there

anyone know of any other gerat little games to play?

Like, i play Stars! and of course, Combat Mission, but I'm looking for a good fun interesting strategy game to keep me busy till CM comes out! Esp. multiple players.

like, i'd love to play Axis and Allies, but don't have it and it costs money.. hmm yeah, so any ideas?

Once played a java-based game of fantasy kingdoms, but i lost it =) ..it was great.

Anyway

ideas?

PeterNZ

This may be a stretch, but bear with me. Next to the CM Demo there is one other game that ties for first place in my books. It isn't a wargame per se, but I found it thoroughly engrossing.

X-COM: UFO Defense

Get the original - the sequels so far have been pretty bad. If you can find it you should be able to pick it up at a bargain basement price.

No multiplayer, but pretty intense turn based ground combat. Great atmosphere too. I still play this despite the old look of the game.

Just a thought.

To pass the time, I've been playing another indie game, "King of Dragon Pass" from A-Sharp ( www.a-sharp.com ). It's a turn-based 4X strategy game in a fantasy setting that is completely unlike CM, or pretty much any other game for that matter.

I'm enjoying it immensely, even though I keep running out of cattle.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 03-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 03-28-2000).]

Don't mock me folks. But last night I was having ISP problems (as you may have noticed Peter). So I dug out Starfleet Command at about 11pm ....turned it off at 4am. I was very wrapped up in a campain.

------------------

"Tryin to be so so bad is bad enough, don't make me laugh by talkin tough" EC

Mindrover. You create and program robot vehicles to do stuff (fight, race, sumowrestle, find the treasure) It's like being in one of the CalTech or MIT robot competitions you can sometimes catch on PBS. I'm having fun even though I can't get my vehicles to follow each other the way I want.

DjB

well,it's not even in the genre of wargames

but,I got the SIMS the other day,and you know...it's kind of fun!

Anyone else play it?

P.S.:apleII emulation wargames!anyone for

Panzer Strike?

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 03-28-2000).]

I'm with you, Elvis; Starfleet Command is fun. smile.gif Has great

multi-player, too, you can play on Mplayer or do direct tcp/ip if

you like. smile.gif

If you guys like your action games serious (and shaken, not

stirred), try Rainbow 6 or Rogue Spear. Action games for the

hard-core realism enthusiast. smile.gif Bring your wits and your reflexes

if you want to live (wits are more important). smile.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

You guys tried the Klingon Academy Demo yet? I play that every once in a while when I get the urge to blow holes in Excelsior class ships.

Also Force Commander is not that bad of a game. It's not near as bad as some of the reviews it's getting. Its got a 3D floating camera like CM you can go up overhead or right down on the ground to look your Stormtrooper right in the face. It's getting bad reviews from people that can't comprehend 3D in an RTS game.

I think a lot of people just don't like the hassle of having to

change the camera view all the time to get a clear view of all the

units they want to examine.

Also, I know a lot of fans hate the butchering of the

Star Wars music. I know I can't stand it. Star Wars music should

never be fooled with like that. All that techno sounding junk...

Yuck! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 03-28-2000).]

You can't go past The Ardennes Offensive 2

It's topical to CM

It's even better than the original

It's got an excellent AI

It's got PBEM

It's made by an Aussie company (SSG) smile.gif

It's FREE

and the fate of the original game is a testament to all the reasons why CM isn't being sold retail also this free release is being used by SSG as a test for internet distribution so support it!

http://www.ssg.com.au/tao/tao_1.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

You can't go past The Ardennes Offensive 2

It's topical to CM

It's even better than the original

It's got an excellent AI

It's got PBEM

It's made by an Aussie company (SSG) smile.gif

It's FREE

and the fate of the original game is a testament to all the reasons why CM isn't being sold retail also this free release is being used by SSG as a test for internet distribution so support it!

http://www.ssg.com.au/tao/tao_1.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second the recommendation for TAO2. It's a great little game, and the price is right wink.gif

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Mikeman

I'm spending a great deal of time with TacOps. It's the best computer wargame out there IMO, except for CM I suspect.

I'm really at a loss to understand why nobody ever mentions TacOps in threads like this. Have you all played it to death? It has been around a long time.

If you haven't tried it you should do so and your wait for CM will seem extremely short. It's only 20 bucks too.

Mikeman out.

Actually I do mention TacOps on occasion in here (Resident international TacOps champion at your service *Bow* <grin>) and it is a good game indeed, but probably not a direct competitor to CM really.

I'm going to throw my plug in for Railroad Tycoon 2.. Hours upon hours of fun watching your little trains run around the landscape. I'm serious, I've completed all the levels, and when I get my PC next week, I'm throwing it on and doing it all again! Then again, you might want to have at least a passing interest in ferroequinology to be as enthusiastic as I am.. :)

Take care

Manic Moran

Well guys, the sun is out and there's new grass on the field ... rounding third and heading for home is a red-haired not-so-handsome man (Mark McGwire) ... I think it's time to give this game a ride. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play ... MLB 2001.

(MLB 2001 came out Tuesday.)

Play ball!

Go Cards!

Found the best arcive addition for a pre-cm game

Muzzle Velosity -Dos VESA ww2 Oh yeah, a little FPS all the way from tank to infantry. Should of seen the dust on that sucker.........

Then theres SOF .. do alittle time frame ajustment and crank up the matrix music and have some slow motion FPS ...... smile.gif

I'm playing 2 games I heard of through here - Shogun I got directly off a message here, adn Klingon Academy I got off the Shogun board! smile.gif

Shogun has several scenarios that you can swap the data armound for to play different games, plus if you're keen you can edit the unit and map data yourself.

KA is not editable, but I'm findingteh 2 "active" missions plus hte quick combat provide much morereplay value than the CM demo.

Mike

I'm playing "Hidden and Dangerous". I'm not fan of FPS...have never played one til now. Just like that it's WW2 with great 3D. I keep thinking it's a bit like the old war movie, "The Guns of Navaron". Anyway I'm having fun

Simmon...Thank you! Just downloaded the SSG Ardenes game.

Hello everybody. I am currently enjoying TAO2. I think it is a decent op. game with a great interface. If only they would make a computer version of Advanced Third Reich. Now thats a game of grand strategy.

*GO BLUES*

This is the year that we bring home Sir Stanely's cup! After all, you remember my Rams prediction dont you?

von shrad