US SHIP ATTACKED IN GULF!

Not exactly breaking news, happened a few hours ago - doesn't really have anything to do with Combat Mission, either - apparently a terrorist attack on a US Cruiser? has claimed about 4 lives and just heard on the radio that there may be some missing. Ugly...

Well, it finally happened....a direct attack on not only our ships and sailors but also on the force protection measures we employ to keep our ships safe in that region of the world. Many will argue that this attack was anticipated (in the grand scheme of things), thus preventable. Unfortunately, even if sailors on board COLE had seen the boat approach, it is probably very unlikely that they would have opened fire given the current threat conditions and climate.

It will be interesting to see if the American response is as withdrawn as they have asked the Israelis and Palestinian to be?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew of the USS Cole and all their families.

-David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:

Support our military - vote Bush/Cheney.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't really a political forum, but do you really think that Gore will attempt to dismantle the military or weaken it? Clinton, in his 8 years, actually increased military spending despite dire predictions to the contrary prior to his election.

And I doubt that we'll get involved over one ship, callous as that may sound. If it was a terrorist incident, who are we going to attack?

Also, before going nuts about this incident and reports we get, repeat "Gulf of Tonkin" over and over... Don't believe everything that you read.

No, this is not a political forum but back in the days before CM was released we used to talk about all kinds of things including current events, favorite Monty Python skits et al...

Look, ask most IN the military or if you are a brave soul, take a poll right here on this forum from Americans who either have served before and/or during this administration and ask them if Clinton/Gore have run the military down. Enough said.

Well up here in canada I gues I have been living under a rock for the past 12 hours, Thanks for posting the "news" here, as this was the FIRST place I heard about.

it is news worthy and I'm very glad buddy took the time to post it.

Thank you

and yes,

politics aside it is a serious tragic incident.

-tom w

A boat full of explosives floats up to a Destroyer and blows a 20' X 40' hole in it... in an area that has been seeing anti-US rallies... and they are still saying they THINK it MAY be a terrorist act???

Terrorism is one of the most cowardly of human acts.

My thoughts also to the crew.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

This isn't really a political forum, but do you really think that Gore will attempt to dismantle the military or weaken it? Clinton, in his 8 years, actually increased military spending despite dire predictions to the contrary prior to his election.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spending money in and of itself is hardly an indicator of effectivness be it the military or education. There is no doubt that the military is weaker now than it was during the Gulf War. I find it unlikely that we could even repeat such an operation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CavScout:

Spending money in and of itself is hardly an indicator of effectivness be it the military or education. There is no doubt that the military is weaker now than it was during the Gulf War. I find it unlikely that we could even repeat such an operation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this goes without saying. During a *war*, the military tends to bloat for various reasons. Since we haven't been to war(as such), it stands to reason that there has been a deflation in military strength. Remember how long of a buildup we had in the Gulf before we engaged the enemy.

Besides, we've got technology up the ass and still a boat of explosives finds its mark. How does this have anything to do with military readiness or the budget?

I'd say it's just "one of those things". Tragic, but not really preventable by increasing military size.

Oh brother, it was bound to turn serious. The original topic was serious ofcourse, the unpaid political announcement "Vote for Senator Snort, he'll put a poop in ever pot", was not serious.

Someone says, take a poll. Polls are not serious either. Answer this question, yes or no: Have you stopped beating your Grandmother? (Either percentage of answers reveals a National crisis regarding Grandmother beatings).

I was in the US Army, 1972-1975. I can say with some historical perspective that the US military is stronger now, better equipped, better trained, more highly paid and of higher morale than it ever dreamed of during those dark years of neglect, which then came from the very party who would now seek your vote claiming someone else ran it down (the military that is).

Yes, today's news was serious, shocking to some, expected to others. When you leave a hostile mililtary in place after defeating it, you can probably expect a problem or two to occur in the vicinity for a while.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

A boat full of explosives floats up to a Destroyer and blows a 20' X 40' hole in it... in an area that has been seeing anti-US rallies... and they are still saying they THINK it MAY be a terrorist act???

Terrorism is one of the most cowardly of human acts.

My thoughts also to the crew.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may be cowards but they certainly are patient people.

Jeff

Though in the USAF, I have to echo Chupa's sentiment to a degree.

It could just be considered off-topic enough just to discuss only the recent attack on the US Navy ship and its ramifications. Regardless, I hope that the board moderators will make allowance for the time being. And as said by others, my condolences are given to those having lost a friend or loved one to this attack.

But starting to discuss political parties, candidates, and views of the current administation's handling of the military is just begging to get a padlock applied. That should be discussed elsewhere.

Regards,

Ed

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 10-12-2000).]

*rant mode on*

Pham: I can tell you firsthand that many left the military due to the Clinton Administrations mishandling of it - I was one of them. The problems were more due to policy changes than military spending. The US military is a lot worse off than it was 8 years ago. I have little confidence in Algore reversing this trend.

*political rant mode off*

Back to the topic of this thread. I honestly don't know what is an appropriate response to this attack in Yemen. Thoughts on this, anyone?

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon

You find out who did it for sure and you punish them using whatever force deemed appropriate. (This doesn't include bombing an aspirin factory on the eve of crucial testimony during an impeachment).

You impose crushing trade sanctions on nations known to harbor and train known terrorist groups.

Finally, you maintain consistency in your foreign policy so that the world at large knows where you stand on every issue, small and large.

I don't believe any act of terrorism should go un-punished.

This is only my opinion, but a very strong one.

Terrorists are weak and cowardly, if they were not, they would not resort to such acts. Smashing them is the only response that they will understand... the only response that seems to have any effect.

EDIT: Buddy, you posted as I was typing... I agree with you 100%.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 10-12-2000).]

What else is there to do other than investigate, find out who is responsible, and punish them?

As far as the political issue goes, this is another election where I get to decide which of two evils would I like to pick:

1. Al "Huh?" Gore and the thought of another 8 years of the international ineptitude that the Dems have consistently displayed? or,

2. Georgy "Look Daddy, I'm running for office!" Bush, and the idea that he will appoint 3-4 Supreme Court justices who will inevitably be firmly in the pocket of the religious Reich?

I am going with Gore, simply because that evil is a lot more temporary than the damage a Supreme Court composed of right wing religious pawns can accomplish.

Sigh. I hate voting for Democrats.

Jeff Heidman

Guest Big Time Software

OK, as bad as this incident is (for a bunch of reasons) this thread is far too off topic.

I'm closing it up.

Steve