Survey: Keep improving graphics or release as is?

In your opinion: Does BTS really need to keep improving graphics or just release the game with current graphics ASAP.

(Assuming there are no bugs like crushes, AI bugs).

I think that further graphics improvements can wait for CM2. Sure better fires etc... would be nice but are not necessary in CM1.

What's your opinion?

Hm. Well, I was happy with the graphics in the demo, but a lot of folks weren't, and obviously neither was BTS.

It's their company and their game; Charles and Steve need to do exactly what they feel is right for them and their game. Personally I'm tickled pink that they've shown as much flexibility and openness as they have so far, far be it for me to joggle their elbows now.

Short answer is that personally, I'll take what they give me when I get it.

-dale

As Berlichtingen, I think that improved graphics will give the game better reviews, that is to say more copies sold.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I love eye candy but now my computer probably can't handle the new smoke so I'd like them to release now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personnaly think it is important to give some extras, because hardware evolve rapidly and these extras give the game a better life expectancy. And I must say the new smoke effects are really pretty ! They rise immersion, so they are a welcome addition.

In a nutshell, I want the game to be released as everybody here, but I think some weeks of polishing might prove worth the cost.

Just my two pence...

Regards,

Magnus

Eye candy? Bahh!!!!! Personally I would be playing and loving this game if it used stick figures and cubes for the soldiers and AFV's. But I understand that BTS needs to make a splash because 99% of the reviewers (and a large percentage of gamers)regularly judge a book by its cover. While I feel that the existing graphics are MORE than sufficient, I will patiently (?) wait while they tweak away.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

You're making an assumption that improving the graphics is the only thing holding up the game. My guess is that they're still making interface improvement, finalizing the manual, and adding textures to incomplete models. Someone is probably working on the interface, another on the manual, so someone decided to improve the graphics (smoke), while others were working on their end of the project.

It's a team effort. Of that I'm sure.

Better graphics doesn't mean better game play. At a certain point they will just have to say enough is enough. They won't make every wargamer happy. In the end people will complain more about the gameplay than the graphics. I've never heard of anyone wanting to return a game because the game was ugly, but the game play rocks. I'll take a tough AI over pretty graphics any day. Of course, there is a balance too. From what I've seen, I think they've come close to reaching it.

Reading the review that Steve gave a link to yesterday by an independent gaming site, I think it is pretty much done and they should release as soon as the other logistical items are taken care of (manual, CD copying, etc.) assuming that they are done adding skins. But then again I'm not the project manager and will accept BTS's opinion of when to go (I mean they are Mac users, so they obviously know what they are doing.)

I give the beta demo a great review and don't need the improved smoke, translucent buildings, etc. but I do they they are great and add to the immersion.

Basically, the thing is going to get a fantastic reception by any measure, and may even be considered revolutionary by the hardcore wargamer.

I'm just getting tired of whipping all you chicks in these three scenarios. biggrin.gif

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Captain Foobar

Delayed Gratification.....

If you had asked me the week of the super bowl, I would have said "OF COURSE!!!! RELEASE IT IMMEDIATELY!!!" But after seeing the improvements that have been made of late, I am so glad that they didn't.

They will release it when its ready, but I say You Never get a 2nd chance at a 1st impression. Wow the living crap out of everybody!!! I can wait a little longer!

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goanna:

I'm just getting tired of whipping all you chicks in these three scenarios. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm.....ummmm.....speechless. Joanna, we're not the one that went away for that special weeklong surgery to eliminate (and I use this next term loosely) his "manhood." biggrin.gif By the way, how are the stitches holding together. You going to be able to resume playing soon so I don't have to keep kicking your wife's butt. wink.gif I mean, that is who I just defeated wasn't it?

Guest BigAlMoho

At some point, I think CM switched from being a just game to being a genuine work of scholarship... It can really be special if that happens...

Al

Guest Charles

As you know from the thread I started yesterday, I would like BTS to eventually make two improvements to the fire graphics: add some translucency effects similar to what was done to the smoke, and make building fires look less like a kettle burning on a gas stove by moving the flames to the sides and/or top of the building.

IF and only IF they can do this in a day or two, then I say go ahead and do it before they release the game. OTOH, if it is a bigger project than that, I won't lose any sleep if it comes later, either in a patch or in CM 2, 3, or 4. smile.gif

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

Hey CoolJ...

I partially agree with you on the patches...they cheapen the game IF some stated feature(s) was left out of the initial production release...if the patches are to fix bugs or conflicts, I view them as proper and necessary support of the program.

Steve C.

You know a game is never really completed. It's always a work in progress. Technology dictates this. You don't want to turn out a Buggy product and this game has NO bugs, which we all know. I don't know enough to know if there is some particular problem thats being addressed. If our guys are just massaging graphics and the like , then I say turn it loose and continue to improve the game with patches. Like everyone else I, still love the beta demo. I just wish I had more scenarios. Charles and Steve have put their soles into this game and I guess it a little like a parent with a child, you just want it perfect.