The CM Beta Demo is so... yesterday!

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Wow! I just went up to CMHQ and downloaded Turn 6 of the current AAR Riesberg game. Hehe... cool one smile.gif Anyhoo, I had to play it with the Beta Demo itself as we made a slight file format change since then and the demo and what we are playing now are not compatible. So this was the first time in about 2 months that I have played the Demo. I can't hardly believe the two are the same game smile.gif

I am not saying this to rub it in anybody's face, but what we are playing with now is SO much better than the Beta Demo. I say this to underscore how right our decision is to not rush CM out the door. The few weeks we have spent since x-mas have probably increased the coolness factor 200%, sucking you into the game all the more! And of course the engine has undergone huge changes too. I was seeing all sorts of "stupid" things going on with the TacAI that *never* happen now.

Point of this post? To tell you that the guy who has been with CM since it was a design on a cocktail napkin at Taluhlahs Bar and Grill (sadly not around any more!) can not believe his own eyes how much we have done in the last couple of months, and last few weeks in particular. I know the wait is tough, but trust me... you will thank us for it later.

Steve

P.S. A reminder that we will NOT be held responsible for divorces, terrible grades, lawsuits for car accidents while minds are wandering to battlefields, etc. smile.gif

I'll just thank you right now. I respect the decision to not release it early and patch it later (or not). I wish I didn't even have to write that but BTS is one of the few that seem to have respect for the customer.

Matt

PS: So we can hold you accountable for our monitors burning out? tongue.gif

Guest John Pender

"The CM Beta Demo is so... yesterday"

Steve does this mean that the gold demo will be released tomorrow? smile.gif

Its been a long hard wait but Im sure it will be worth it.

Keep up the great work and thank Charles as well.

Take care

John41436 Pender

Speaking of minds wandering when I was driving to Detriot for the Auto Show I started noticing all the houses along the high way and how that one reminded me of the blockhouse in the Alpha PBEM game and how that church looked just like the Church in Chance Encounter. I was envisioning ambushes set up by that hedgerow over there and how that wall would make the perfect spot for an MG. Wow the top of that building must have great LOS to all those people down there...

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Guest Germanboy

Steve and Charles,

I have been lurking around the forum since October, when I came about the beta. I have been much impressed by the standard of the board and it got me talking to my grand-father about his experience as an artillery observer during the siege of Leningrad. Just wanted to say thanks for the good work, I love the game and I am really looking forward to the final release. Although I am dreading any release date pre-October, since I have to have my PhD in by Sept.30 smile.gif Smart move not to accept responsibility for bad grades smile.gif

Again, keep up the good work.

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy,

Do you have any interesting insights/war stories from your granddad?

As you know this forum is very mature (mostly) about soldiers from the war and quite non-judgmental (I know a few older Germans I know are VERY wary of publicly saying anything about their experiences) and sanguine about what war is really like.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Germanboy,

Do you have any interesting insights/war stories from your granddad?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Fionn,

as I said, my granddad was an arty observer,rank of sergeant (Unteroffizier), which means he and his section were about a mile or so behind the front-line, living the high-life (well, compared to his comrades in the trenches). Some of the pictures he gave me look like scout camp. He did never talk about it at all until last year, and I am now using any opportunity I have when I am at home to talk to him about it, since he will be 86 in April. He still is wary of talking about it though, but he is also glad that I am interested and that he can share his memories. So far we have only talked about the pictures, so it was not very coherent as a story. I half plan on using the pictures he gave me and whatever he is willing to tell me to set up a website, but that depends on how much time there is available for me and whether that would be ok with him.

So I guess the short answer is: not yet, but I am sure something will be coming. What exactly would you be interested in? Just everyday life behind the front-line, heroic exploits or technicalities like how they took measurements for the artillery?

Sorry for the ramble.

Cheers,

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

P.S. A reminder that we will NOT be held responsible for divorces, terrible grades, lawsuits for car accidents while minds are wandering to battlefields, etc. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. I'm surprised that you didn't add to your disclaimer, "We will also not be responible for your computer HD being fully loaded with CM scenario files, CM PBEM files, fan mods, etc., such that you're required to chuck everything else off the HD."

(joke)

Better call another huddle with your legal staff, Steve. wink.gif

Thanks for the update! I have the upmost confidence in BTS. I actually don't think the game is delayed or overdue. While I, like so many others, await the release with real anticipation....please..take your time, make it right. I'm certain gaming history will be made when CM is released.

Andreas,

Mostly just interested in how they REALLY did things at the front...

It is surprising how many books insist all soldiers did things the way they were thought in training camps. How soldiers REALLY did things is one of those things which has been largely lost in many cases and something I'd be interested in.

Also, he must have been at more than Leningrad (especially during the last year of the war).

Guest Germanboy

Andreas,

Mostly just interested in how they REALLY did things at the front...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn,

good point, I am going to ask him about that. Not sure when though, but don't hold your breath smile.gif

Also, he must have been at more than Leningrad (especially during the last year of the war).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, he was sort of lucky. He got shot for a $1,000,000 wound a couple of weeks before the Red Army ran over Heeresgruppe Nord in late Spring '44. Still has the bullet in his chest. They shipped him out home and a caring Captain posted him to Denmark, where he saw out the war. He was the first man in his village to return after the surrender, b/c the English let wounded POWs go early.

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So I guess the short answer is: not yet, but I am sure something will be coming. What exactly would you be interested in? Just everyday life behind the front-line, heroic exploits or technicalities like how they took measurements for the artillery?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I for one would be very interested in all the details you can get on German artillery doctrine and the details of its operation and application. Me and JonS are currently writing the artillery rules for Fionn's CMMC thing and although we have the US and UK/Commonwealth pretty well covered between us, we really don't know that much about how the Germans did things.

Rather than clog this forum, you could send it to me email (see sig).

Please feel free to get as technical as possible smile.gif

I'd really appreciate anything you can dig up. Thanks.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-11-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Tom Manning

Andreas...

Might I also suggest a tape recorder???You really don't want to leave anything to chance when you have the opportunity to listen to history being spoken from a first person viewpoint, Tom.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off topic

Tom,

have a look at my website www.geocities.com/a_biermann and see what I do when I do not read this board or spend hours on the phone with my girl-friend wink.gif I am currently transcribing the last of about 36 interviews of about an hour and a half or longer that I did for my PhD - and it is the most riveting job I ever did... not! But for you guys I might take the tape recorder along when I go to Germany next time. Mental note: must scan some of these pictures...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead

Please feel free to get as technical as possible smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being the technical expert that I am (ahem), I guess I better take the tape recorder... do you speak German, or more particularly the Northern German dialect (aka Flat-German) smile.gif

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 02-12-2000).]

Andreas,

Are you from Ost Friesen? I remember all those Ostfriesisch jokes I heard when I was studying in D-land wink.gif.

[For those unfamiliar with German culture, Ostfriesisch jokes are the equivalent of Polish jokes in the US, Irish jokes in England, etc.]

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe