Poll: What add features you wait for in CM2?

Rarg

CM is launched... patched... and there are lots scenarios and mods around and incoming.

CM2 is on the way! What features you would like to see in this new game?

My main prefferences:

1. Campaign mode

2. More customizable troops and vehicles (share files reduction)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't hold my breath for the two you requested, as BTS has stated a number of times that campaign modes like those featured in other games(Talonsoft titles, Panzer General, et al) are unrealistic due to the very high turnover rates in units, and the unlikelyhood that any given squad would continue on throughout the war without having totally replaced its soldiers many times over.

And the customized units would hamper BTS's ability to sell sequels, since most units, fronts, etc, would be covered by free mods.

I'm not knocking your requests, as I'd love to see them, but just stating what's been said about them before.

Features I'd like to see are:

1)The ability to rotate your view while locked to a unit *without* unlocking your POV and dropping to the ground(in #1 view).

2)Dynamic Lighting & Graphics Upgrades. Maybe more realistic smoke/fires.

3)Full squads, as opposed to the 3 man squad marker.

4)Dead bodies, or at least some marker to tell me where men dropped from a squad.

The campaign request is a very wanted request among CM users so if BTS decided to give it a go anyway they wouldn't loose any sales on it. They could always have a Grog button for those who choose to play realistically. The fact about CM is that it's already drawed lots of casual players to the genre, players who wouldn't been into wargames at all if it hadn't been for CM. So why not please those who wants a campaign mode?

I've read on this board about lots of people new to wargaming who has started to study WW2 because of this game, what better way to tell BTS they've come up with a winning formula than that? (except cold hard cash that is). I bet Steve & Charles must feel pretty proud knowing they've contributed to the general knowlegde of WW2 history.

As a request.. hmmm I would like them German guns/optics to behave better than they do now and I want a view directly from the main gun of any vehicle/gun.

Guest barrold713

Trench systems and the ability to set up earthwork defenses as part of the scenario builder.

Molotov cocktails

Cossacks? Partisans?

Actually putting this system into a bunch of Stalingrad scenarios....what's the smiley for cyber-drooling?

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb having a say on the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Longships! What? CM2 is about the Viking invasion of Iceland, isn't it?

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by howardb:

I've read on this board about lots of people new to wargaming who has started to study WW2 because of this game, what better way to tell BTS they've come up with a winning formula than that? (except cold hard cash that is). I bet Steve & Charles must feel pretty proud knowing they've contributed to the general knowlegde of WW2 history.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be one of those. My main area of interest pre-CM was Vietnam. Now, I've learned more about WWII than I would have thought possible. All thanks to CM & BTS.

It's symbiotic in a way. I play CM and it makes me want to read about certain battles, and I read about WWII and it makes me want to play CM.

The ability to use premade maps in quick battles.

The ability to give multiple orders to a unit. For instance I'd like to be able to tell a unit -target this building, then when it's destroyed target this one.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

[This message has been edited by EScurlock (edited 09-08-2000).]

Fields of fire.

This would help out the Tac AI, sort of a semi-override feature. You basically would set up a general target area for that particualr turn that the Tac AI will prioritize units only within that arc of fire (you could adjust the angle of fire, from very narrow to very wide).

This would primarily used for armor. Armor is so destructive against infantry that sometimes I want it to concentrate on mopping up a few fleeing infantry units or stranded mortar teams, without it automatically switching to a bazooka 200 yards away that I would deem fairly inconsequential for that turn. Granted some players would prefer to target the bazooka, but it would give players that like to gamble a little bit a chance to temporarily tweak the tac AI for their specific purposes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregory Deych:

Alternatively, instead of 2-3 day operations we could have 20-30 day operations - with several days of lulls between each operation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... can you say RED BARRICADES!!!!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

"Trench systems and the ability to set up earthwork defenses as part of the scenario builder"

Seconded. Err, thirded. I would like to see trenches in the editor, implemented much like roads are. They could possibly be bought in defensive scenarios, like roadblocks, barbed wire, etc. (I may sound like a broken record on this one, but I really want to implement scenarios from East Front dialogues and movies that all require trenches)

"That and more terrain tiles."

Also agreed. Sand would be nice, for instance, for those of us who absolutely _must_ model beach invasions. Also, sand and mud tiles would be nice to model varying ranges of terrain.

"Russians!

Joe"

Sorry Joe, no Russians for you. Not until you show some competance with the Amis against lamers like myself smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 09-08-2000).]

Ski infantry. And the legendary SS-Slalom Truppen with special bonus when fighting downhill. Not to mention the abominable Siberian Yeti with snowshoes. Bicycles would be great as well, but any cycles will do, tricycles, even motorcycles. I'd also love seeing horses so I could practice horse polo and jumping over hedges.

I would like to see

1. Muddy snow / slush

2. Blue fumes/smoke exaust from tanks when they start to move.

3. Trench systems.

4.The Stuka Ju 87 G +37mm cannons / Henschel Hs129 with 75mm Luft-Pak.

5. Improved optics in German tanks.

6. Soviet trained dogs with TNT charges on their back smile.gif

7. Proper winter uniforms / parkas with their id armbands.

8. Ability to hide A/T guns in buildings.

9. A totally random QB generator.

10. Soviet Naval Infantry.

Guest barrold713

If the game covers the entire scope of the war in the East....FINNS!!!!

I have always like scenarios when the Russians are truly the bad guy and the tiny underdog gives them a bloody nose.

I don't know why...I just was always interested in this fight...read a good book called "A Frozen Hell" (I might be confusing the title) about the winter war.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb having a say on the vote"

- Ben Franklin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sorry Joe, no Russians for you. Not until you show some competance with the Amis against lamers like myself...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Like I don't get enough of this on the Peng thread? Now I have to deal with it from you HERE? Get thee to the CessPool, my friend smile.gif We already have one lawyer there and he hasn't fouled the water TOO badly, besides the other rats are showing him some professional courtesy and stay away from us more now. Besides, we are even up in games, IIRC.

Joe

this overlaps with some other requests, but anyway:

- intel from civilians

- empty fortifications. suggest bunker, trench, foxhole, vehicle/support weapon firing position, tank trap,

fortified building

- change manned fortifications so crew is separate from pillbox. IMHO scenario designer

feature only which lets BTS more readily do more variety, not for players to change in setup phase

- flares

- wind, abstracted only!

- vary unit point value with more factors than experience

- more terrain tiles

i listed all but the last one in more detail in http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/009289.html

[This message has been edited by elementalwarre (edited 09-08-2000).]

I want

1. Arty spotter units with an adjustable number of guns, so they could control from 1 tube to an entire battalion, instead of always 4 tubes like now.

2. The ability to delete 1/2 squads ONLY in the editor, without now deleting the whole squad when you delete 1/2 of it.

3. The ability to place squads on the map that have already taken casualties.

4. Revision of burning grass and crop tiles as per recent discussions.

5. Really huge friggin' buildings, complete with interior walls, wall/floor/ceiling breaching operations, and basements connected by sewers to basements of other buildings.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html