Dear BTS, Soon?

Of course "Soon" is a relative concept...Especially from a geological viewpoint.

To the rest of you crazy guys, please don't flame me, I already know I tread delicate ground...

I am simply seeking reafirmation of my faith. Is this not exceptible to ones deity?

Zamo

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, nothing specific to say. We are waiting to hit a couple of internal milestones before we open our yaps about a possible release date. Again, the game itself is done, but there are still a lot of polish type things that need to be added. Kinda braindead stuff, but time consuming and VITAL none-the-less.

Steve

Uneducated guesses follow....

My first guess is that one of the "couple of milestones" is the manual. With printing times, etc., this usually requires quite a bit of lead time at the end of a project. (And if it's not the manual per se, I'd guess it's all the packaging stuff.....)

But dunno about the second of these "couple of milestones" -- I would've said "punch list", but BTS has said the code's done. (Yeah, like any code that hasn't shipped is done. biggrin.gif) Based on other things BTS has said, my guess is it's the user interface changes they're making. Makes sense, since that would allow them to make improvements in the overall fit and finish of the product with little to no risk to CM's engine (AI, etc.)

Hopefully, the textures are finally done and any scenario development is only continuing until these milestones are met. In other words, any scenarios not done when these things are done will have to wait for the expansion pack or be distributed over the web, etc. -- you won't let these unfinished scenarios hold up the release, will you?

So, how'd I do? wink.gif

Guest Captain Manieri

Manual...absolutely. Holding up the release?? I'd say yes. Among other things. Man, I never knew how long this would take, however, it looks as if we are NO WHERE near the completion. I'm just gonna try to drop CM from memory and hopefully a few months later it'll show up on my doorstep. Steve isn't blowing any sunshine up our asses, but I appreciate his honesty. As bleak as it may seem. When I read the word "milestone", I automatically knew that this game is not going to be done soon and I should probably flake out and worry about something else.

i wanted my 30th post to be something special. i was waiting for a topic that would rightly fit the mold, of attainment...it is finally here!

and capt manieri..i mean this with ALL respect...i ReALLY do want to know what "else to worry about" today's 16 year old has.

i have 3 sons, 2 married and 1 in college. when i was in high school vietnam was just starting, and no one even knew where it WAS!

i was worried about going...

now i just worry about getting home safe after leaving work (a 5 minute drive)

enlighten me please?

thanks!

"Man, I never knew how long this would take,

however, it looks as if we are NO WHERE near the completion."

Remember, BTS has clearly stated that CM will not be released until they feel it is ready. With that in mind, hopefully we are closer to the end than the beginning. smile.gif

------------------

Dan

There is a telling comment at the Sild Bill & the Raiders site at TGN. The author, while talking about the scenario design screen, mentions that they are being redone because Steve and Charles don't particularly like them.

It's the litlle (but time consuming) X-Factor things that turn a product from good to great to true classic.

Short programming story. I was writing a small program for medicare billing for my stepfathers's company. The basic guts of the program took only a few days, but something occurred to me while looking at the forms that were being produced - they were functional but not very attractive. So my mother and I spent the rest of the week on purely cosmetic things. Things like making sure that when the letters were third folded the address showed through the window on the envelope. Sure it was a little thing but the hospital appreciated it because now they didn't have to fold the letters strangely like they used to do.

Jason

------------------

Board member since 9/99 with 340 posts. I'm a member, dammit!! :D

There were some games that were released which would have been much better had they just spent the time on little details to add to the game, as someone else stated.

Eventually CM will be released, in a few months when we all have the game it won't matter that we had to wait that extra week, or two, or three, as the product will be much better than one released earlier. We will all get the game, that is all that should really matter.

I'd just like to come on and pour a little cold water over Manieri.. Sometimes, like today he goes off half-cocked and almost totally hysterical.

Manieri, your "NO WHERE" statement apart from grammatical incorrectness is also factually incorrect.

As Steve said its being polished. You can still fight battles in it etc and that aspect is pretty much done except for a little bug-hunting (which never finishes hehe ). It is polishing other areas in keeping with BTS' quality promise which is where the work is going in near as I can see.

Guest Captain Manieri

Au contraire, mes amis... I was in school today, was using the computers in the library, now I'm home.

Well Sarge, I'll endulge you into what I've got to worry about. Let's see??

1 Combat Mission...

and uhh.....that's it. Whoa. Maybe my life is simplier than I thought.

Sarge,

When I was in high school, I worried mostly about what the other kids thought of me, whether my parents were ever going to catch my girlfriend and I doing things we weren't supposed to be doing, and who was going to drive me to the dance on Friday night.

Today, kids have to worry about whether or not some other kids are going to bring automatic weapons to school and start shooting...

Food for thought...

Ummm Captain IIRC you've been here since November, I've been here since late July but other people have been here way longer then both of us combined!!!!

Steve and Charles have been wanting the release of the game since the day it was started. In a thread a while back Steve said that NO ONE wanted the release of Combat Mission more than he and Charles.

Chances are the wait for CM2 will be less painful because we'll have something good to play with *glancing around for girlfriend* while waiting.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Manieri:

Au contraire, mes amis... I was in school today, was using the computers in the library, now I'm home. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using a computer at school to check this message board. tsk, tsk. That would be like me reading this board during wor.........ummm, never mind. redface.gif

Oh, yeah? Well when I was 16 I had to walk two miles to school, barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways; and if I didn't wake up with a hard-on, I had nothin' to play with all day. cool.gif

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !