OT:Favorite War Movie

I guess I'll just agree with everyone...they are all on my list smile.gif but all time favorite of any genre would be Das Boot...all time fav ground combat would be SPR...there are just so many, it's hard to narrow it down.

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springtime...For Hitler...In Germanyyy

funniest wartime musical, part of "The Producers"

How about Three Kings as a serious remake of Kelly's Heroes. Go for the gold.

The Americanization of Emily with James Garner and Julie Andrews about the invasion of Britain by us "overpaid, oversexed, and over here" Americans. From a great book by I can't remember who, who also wrote about The Execution of Private Eddie Slovak.

A Midnight Clear, kind of surreal, not Hollywood.

Hard to read about Patton and not picture Geroge C. Scott.

Midnight Run with Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson (was retitled from something else I believe). The Japanese have captured some and are looking for others; they string up loudspeakers in the jungle and threaten to shoot some prisoners if the rest don't surrender. Next thing you hear is a shot over the loudspeakers and you just know those inhumane Japs have shot some prisoners. cut to the Japanese camp; the commander looks at the prisoners and says "Did you really think it would be so easy for me to shoot you ?"

Hard to argue with SPR as best ever.

Great topic.

Guest Scott Clinton

"Alls Quiet on the Western Front"

-- Not as good as the book but there is none better on film.

"Kellys Heroes"

-- Its just funny as Hell, thats all. smile.gif

Honorable mention for "The Great Escape"

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Oh, I almost forgot The Great Escape... probably my all-time favorite war movie that doesn't feature all that much warring smile.gif Plus, you've got to love Steve McQueen as Hilts (ummm... that's Captain Hilts).

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Nobody has mentioned "Attack" with Eddie Albert as the cowardly company commander and Jack Palance as the platoon leader enraged by Albert's abandonment of Palance's men cut off by a surprise German attack in the Ardennes.

The best scene is near the end when Palance, weakened by having been run over by a German tank, confronts Albert cowering in the cellar which is the company command post. Palance threatens Albert with his forty-five. Albert is terrified until Palance drops his pistol and collapses from loss of blood. As Palance crawls toward his gun, Albert giggles and kicks the gun a few inches out of reach. Palance keeps crawling toward the gun until he dies.

Another officer in the cellar shoots Albert in disgust and then says he's going to call the batallion HQ and report what he has just done. Some of the other soldiers in the cellar tell him to wait, and then they each shoot Albert, ensuring there's no way to tell who fired the killing shot.

Supposedly, the regiment was National Guard, and Albert's father was a politically powerful judge, so the politically ambitious officers were covering up for Albert to protect their post-war prospects.

Anyway, it's a great flick!

Great responses from everyone! There are so many movies that I haven't seen in a long time. Seeing the diversity in the types of war movies everyone enjoys is interesting. I a bit surprised no one threw M.A.S.H. in there. A good was movie in its own rights. I must say I've personallly seen about 85% of the movies mentioned and I agree with mostly everyone, (except the guy who liked The Thin Red Line. It was ok at best. Watch the original.) The one I feel I must see now is Iron Cross. When did it come out and who stars in it?

84 Charlie MoPic was really good. I really got into that firefight when the camera man ducked down, and you couldn't see more than ten feet ahead. . .

U-571 was good, too, as well as Run Silent, Run Deep and Torpedo Run. Yep, you guessed it, ex-sub nut converted into a ground nut.

Guest grunto

for me it's saving private ryan.

it has its flaws but overall the combat is the 'best.' that tank which took out the ami sniper ('lord defeat my enemies') - it looked like a jagdpanzer IV 'guderian's duck' from the front but from the rear it was open if memory serves. did someone say it was really a swiss tank? that marder getting hosed by the molotov was a little over the top.

that just goes to show all you greenhorns out there.... 'send open-topped afvs into a town at your own risk.'

i did not know those tiger i tanks were fake until i read about it up here.

that 'p51' strike was a little out of whack too. wouldn't hanks have gotten pasted by rockets if it had been a really attack run by a real allied ground attack plane (p47?).

it looked like from that angle that he would have had what - 81mm rockets hitting all around hime. instead it was a neatly-placed bomb.

still some of those snippets with hanks just standing up from behind cover, into the open and letting out a clip of .45 cal were pretty awesome. i could make up for some of the distortions by rationalizing that it was a hastily organized attack by a nitwit german field commander. perhaps the bridge was so key and the american reinforcements so close that they had to press forward with their attack.

the sniper duel early in the movie was an excellent scene.

hanks turning to his radioman to see his face blown off was riveting. that was pretty intense.

that cast of characters was good in that one. maybe it was the boot-camp-like training they all went through that made them mesh as a cast in the actual film.

the story could have been better.

andy

Guest grunto

the problem with cross of iron is the conflict between enlisted men and officers. steiner hates officers. i don't think that was typical of the german army. from what i've read the germans were the only army where the officers' provisions were the same as the troopers'. in contrast the material (carell's scorched earth and hitler moves east) says the russian officers were sitting back drinking vodka and eating caviar while their men were dying up front. the german battalion, regiment, brigade, and divisional cadre all participated heavily from combat if historical accounts are to be believed.

This is why in combat mission i always put the hq units right up front with the main body of infantry. they're all in it together. soldiers must lead by example.

that's why that portrayal of that one lame officer in cross of iron was a bit out of character from what was normal, at least from the accounts i've read about the war overall. the older officer was probably a more accurate portrayal of the german cadre.

anyway the tanks in that one were very cool.

das boot and the beast are also very good.

andy

Anything by Lewis Milestone: All Quiet on the Western Front -- A Walk in the Sun -- Pork Chop Hill. Too bad he didn't live long enough to do something on the Viet-Nam War.

In the "also ran" category:

Kelly's Heroes (of course!).

Fire on the Plain -- Grim story from the Japanese point of view.

die Brucke -- Grim story from the German point of view.

Between Heaven and Hell -- Interesting tale of Marines fighting the Japs (and themselves) in some God-forsaken Pacific backwater. For a movie made in 1956, it has some very Vietnam-esque elements to it. Good cast too: Robert Wagner, Broderick Crawford, Buddy Ebson, among others. Four Stars!

Platoon -- Often copied, yet to be equaled.

Three Kings -- C'mon people! Am I the only one who saw this movie? "That's why SF is so bad-ass: We have all the cool flashlights."

Guest smbutler

1- Saving Private Ryan

2-Gettysburg

3-Platoon

4-Battleground (this movies does a good job of portraying the daily drudgery of a foot solier's life).

5-Breaker Morant (great acting)"Shoot straight you bastartds! Don't make a mess of it!"

6-Bridge Too Far

7-Where Trumpets Fade

8-Zulu (All right now,lads,nobody told you to stop workin')

9-The Eagle Has Landed

10-The Iron Cross

Guest Scott Clinton

Ooops!

I forgot about "A walk in the sun".

Thanks VL another great one!

(must rent for the week end...)

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Sgt Rock

Ok my opinion........

Two war movies have given me an emotion......

Saving Pvt Ryan (the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 the rest was average and Tom Hanks sucks as actor)

Das Boot (Direstors cut if you can get it)

Kellys Heros is also one of my favourites (particularly the Tank Paintball scene)

The Rock has spoken!